Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Police acquitted in Sean Bell case  (Read 1008 times)

$Bill

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Police acquitted in Sean Bell case
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2008, 11:07:55 AM »
UPDATE: Both black police officers (Gescard Isnora and Marc Cooper) arrested on murder charges after being acquitted of manslaughter, white officer given a medal and a date with Shawn Bell's fiancee.  More news at 11.

• Teach me more.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2008, 12:23:48 PM »
^ f-in loser.

$Bill

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2008, 01:33:15 PM »
^ f-in loser.

Nah. Just a grim pessimist. But seriously, I don't really understand why they went to trial for manslaughter, but on the other hand I really don't understand why they werent found guilty of AT LEAST reckless endangerment.  I mean that undercover cop went for the gun way to quickly.  He at least should lose his pension. 

Also, does shawn belles family lose the potential for a civil suit now that the cops were found not liable

Astro

• LSD Obsessed
  • Happy birthday goalie!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2008, 02:09:11 PM »
^ f-in loser.

Nah. Just a grim pessimist. But seriously, I don't really understand why they went to trial for manslaughter, but on the other hand I really don't understand why they werent found guilty of AT LEAST reckless endangerment.  I mean that undercover cop went for the gun way to quickly.  He at least should lose his pension. 

Also, does shawn belles family lose the potential for a civil suit now that the cops were found not liable

I don't think so.  Just off the cuff, different burdens of proof and different juries could make a substantial difference to the outcome.  Double jeopardy rules don't apply either.
J, if you didn't bring enough penis for everyone, you shouldn't have brought any penis at all. 

Astro

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2008, 10:26:43 AM »

the cops were not found to be not liable.  they were simply not found to be guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.

think OJ.

Beat you to it.

Sort of.

BTW, I hate you.   >:(
J, if you didn't bring enough penis for everyone, you shouldn't have brought any penis at all. 

Astro

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile

Astro

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile

Astro

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile

Astro

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2008, 11:01:18 AM »
Oh!   :D

::distributes booze::
::stumbles, falls::

i feel like i've been typecast.  :-\

um, don't tell anyone that we're cohabiting the same account.

She's going to be pissed when she sees you trying to pull this *&^% off.