Law School Discussion

Minnesota vs. Rutgers

Re: Minnesota vs. Rutgers
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2008, 08:03:23 AM »
How did the visit go drleather?

« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2008, 08:30:52 AM »
It went well.

The weather on Saturday was pretty dreary, but the visit to the school was intersting.  An associate dean showed me and my fiancee around and talked to us for about 85 minutes, total.  I like that you are required to do either a journal or a moot court in 2L; it seems like no matter what you're going to come out of UMN with a decent sampling of briefs and resume fodder.

I asked about their future job prospects, and one thing that stuck out was that their incoming dean (former assistant dean, I believe, at Cornell and former member of the Clinton staff) will bring some "sparkle" to their reputation, and that he has some vision for expanding the reach of UMN grads national placement.  Also, they're looking to build a new law school in 5-6 years, etc...so it seems that the recent dip in the rankings are just a temporary blip, and things will be on the up and up now that a full time dean is in place.

The city is clean, easy to get around.  People are awfully friendly and helpful.  Coming from NYC, it will certainly be a change (most restaurants stop serving food at 10PM, which is a far cry from the late night scene here), but we liked the Uptown area and the nearby lakes.  I look forward to riding my bike every day on their huge network of bike paths.

So...I mailed my deposit.  That's that.  Now I have to withdraw from Rutgers, which is fine...but oddly kind of sad.

« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2008, 10:57:19 AM »
Congrats on the visit and deposit.

Coming from Philly, I think the city is going to be a huge change as well, but one that I am looking forward to. The bike paths were a big thing for me too. We looked at housing in Uptown and are hoping to find something in that general area even though it's too far to walk. I got a new bike a couple years ago and it seems like a good place to get some major use out of it.

Hopefully I'll be joining you shortly; still waiting on the matching request.

« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2008, 11:59:01 AM »
Sent in my deposit today!

drleather, you must be a much better salesman than I am (or had much better numbers). The matching request didn't come through, but I couldn't turn it down in the end.

« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2008, 03:04:24 PM »
Or maybe I got the last of their money   :-[

They denied your request?

Regardless: Congrats!  That's great.  If you want to work together to find good apartment deals/share info, let me know.  We're in similar situations.

« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2008, 07:08:41 AM »
Haha, you must have gotten the last of it. They denied my request.

Thank you. The housing and job searches are now going into full swing and I'm definitely up for helping each other out with housing info.

I know you said you liked the Uptown area. Are you guys thinking about renting a house/apartment in that area or something closer to campus? We liked what we saw in uptown and I think our first search is going to be in the area.

« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2008, 07:56:54 AM »