Law School Discussion

Minnesota vs. Rutgers

Re: Minnesota vs. Rutgers
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2008, 09:30:55 AM »
Very interesting.  Thank you.

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2008, 09:36:03 AM »
I am in-state however, I remember them saying that there is some lobbying system that you can use.  I remember the director of admissions saying that you have to convince them that you plan on being a MN resident after your done with school(I guess it is up to you to be sincere on that account)... But it can be done.  She said that law students have by far the best chance of getting in-state.

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2008, 09:54:08 AM »
My fiancee wants to move to Minnesota.  I kind of do too.  But the debt (if their COL calculations and total tuition, etc, are true, the overall cost of UMN will be about $130K, even with my scholly) is scary. 
What is the total difference in cost of attending UMN [w/ in state 2nd & 3rd year, and w/o in state] vs Rutgers-C? It seems like the difference in quality of life and education offered at UMN vs Rut-C is vast, and it sounds like Minnesota might be a better place for your fiancee's future?

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2008, 12:12:54 PM »
Worst case scenario, after spending our savings and with scholarships taken into account, it sounds like RC would leave us with about $35,000 in debt while UMN would leave us with about $95,000. 

We're going to check it you in a week or so.

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2008, 12:39:46 PM »
Worst case scenario, after spending our savings and with scholarships taken into account, it sounds like RC would leave us with about $35,000 in debt while UMN would leave us with about $95,000. 

Ouch, 60k is a lot of money. At 6% over ten years, with no loan fees, you are talking about an extra $666.12 a month. With 0% APR you can own a new Cadillac for less money. At either law school you are going to have to be in the top 15-25% of your class. Tough choice. Good luck.

EDIT: I would have a very difficult time betting on, "You should be able to get instate tuition next year." With that statement, I would work under the assumption that you will not get instate tuition. Don't bank on something that may not happen.

zardoz

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2008, 01:05:50 PM »

Congrats on the scholarship!

A $60,000 dollar difference in total COA over three years is what I was dealing with in choosing between Minnesota and Wisconsin, and I finally picked Wisconsin.  I know it is a different scenario...the schools are closer (physically and in ranking), but it was still a tough decision. 

For me, the visits really helped me figure out where I would be happiest, and also the job options from Minnesota and Wisconsin are really similar.  For instance, I compared firms that do OCI both places on NALP, and there is a lot of overlap.  Wisconsin actually has more firms at OCI than Minnesota.  The small amount of firms interviewing at OCI at Minnesota was surprising given its rank.  Most of the schools ranked above 30 have 250+ firms at OCI according to NALP, but Minnesota has 117.  Iowa and Illinois are both in the 160-180 range.  Rutgers-Camden, by comparison, has 94.  Minnesota does have off-campus interviews on the coasts, but coordinates with other schools (including Iowa, Illinois, and Wisconsin if I remember correctly).  So, for me, the opportunities seemed similar enough that I couldn't justify the extra cost of Minnesota.  For you, it may be very different.  I really liked Minnesota, and they place very well in the Twin Cities, so if you end up liking the area, you should be able to stay.

Good luck with your decisions!

« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2008, 08:31:44 AM »
So...

I was offered $8K/yr at UMN.  Not nearly enough to offset the financial benefits of Rutgers, assuming I don't get any instate money.

Any input on how hard it is to get in state for 2nd and 3rd year?  There are conflicting reports on various threads.  Some say its impossible, and some say it's doable by 2nd semester of 2L.

My fiancee wants to move to Minnesota.  I kind of do too.  But the debt (if their COL calculations and total tuition, etc, are true, the overall cost of UMN will be about $130K, even with my scholly) is scary.  On the other hand, I think job prospects are better coming out of UMN than Rutgers, so paying it down might be easier.

Ugh...planning to visit in two weeks, but I need a deposit extention.  Too much to consider.

I am struggling with almost the exact situation, except you can substitute Pitt for R-C and $5k instead of $8k. The in-state vs. out of state might be the deal maker/breaker for me.

I am headed to UMN for a visit this weekend. For what it's worth, they seem highly aware of the short deposit deadline.

« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2008, 06:41:51 PM »

Do you think there is any chance that UMN might increase their offer based on R-C? I know there's a huge rankings difference, but I can't think of any harm in it and thought it might be worth a shot.

« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2008, 07:42:16 AM »
I asked.  They matched Rutgers' offer, and with a lower GPA requirement, no less.

So I think the pendulum has swung in favor of UMN.  Really, all that's left is the physical inspection and the official financial aid offer, which I don't think is really an issue.

« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2008, 11:48:34 AM »
I asked.  They matched Rutgers' offer, and with a lower GPA requirement, no less.

So I think the pendulum has swung in favor of UMN.  Really, all that's left is the physical inspection and the official financial aid offer, which I don't think is really an issue.

Wow, congratulations. How did you go about asking them to match and did you ask about the in-state tuition issue?

I am visiting Monday and am a little unsure if I should send them a letter after, ask them about matching in general if I have a chance or send a letter following up.