Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Men: Buying a suit...  (Read 24677 times)

AmericanGunner

• Sr. Citizen
  • Huge soccer fan, obviously...
    • View Profile
Re: Men: Buying a suit...
« Reply #70 on: April 26, 2008, 11:04:51 PM »
If no one else will fight the fight, I will continue to stand up for the black suit. You all seem to miss my very next line where I say you should have a black suit AND ANOTHER COLOR.

Back when I lived in Washington, you could always tell who the lawyers were - they were the white guys in the ill-fitting navy blue suits. If that's what you're going for, it's your choice.  :-[

I will say that one should never wear a black suit during the daytime in the spring/summer.
"Please stop using obscenities in front of these people, or I'll be forced to thrash you."

mike4488

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #71 on: April 27, 2008, 12:04:02 AM »
If no one else will fight the fight, I will continue to stand up for the black suit. You all seem to miss my very next line where I say you should have a black suit AND ANOTHER COLOR.

Back when I lived in Washington, you could always tell who the lawyers were - they were the white guys in the ill-fitting navy blue suits. If that's what you're going for, it's your choice.  :-[

I will say that one should never wear a black suit during the daytime in the spring/summer.

Nah, I'll just go for the white guy in the well tailored navy blue suit.
Boalt Hall '10

Ender Wiggin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 27, 2008, 12:10:35 AM »

Nah, I'll just go for the white guy in the well tailored navy blue suit.

Yeah--I'm pretty sure that the same people who warned against black suits were also saying to have your suits well-tailored.

LSN

Michigan Law Class of 2011

themanwithnoname

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 27, 2008, 12:15:14 AM »
please, tailoring is for chumps, if your pants are too long, wear it higher on the waist, if its too short, pull your socks up, if it's too loose, thats what belts are for, and if its too tight, just dont button it.

Martin Prince, Jr.

• Sr. Citizen
  • Excelsior!
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 27, 2008, 12:32:47 AM »
please, tailoring is for chumps, if your pants are too long, wear it higher on the waste, if its too short, pull your socks up, if it's too loose, thats what belts are for, and if its too tight, just dont button it.

Finally, after 9 pages, advice we can ACTUALLY USE!!! Thank you!!!!
Rising 1L

Muhammad Ali

• Who's the prettiest? Who's the greatest?
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: April 27, 2008, 12:18:34 PM »
Tagging for the GOOD posts.
I'm the most recognized and loved man that ever lived cause there weren't no satellites when Jesus and Moses were around, so people far away in the villages didn't know about them.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/muhammadali

R.P. McMurphy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 27, 2008, 12:52:53 PM »
tag
LSN | Washington & Lee University Law Class of 2011

Candor

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 17, 2008, 11:25:19 AM »
tag.  and can we get some advice for the ladies?  if i were a guy, i'd all about the buttons, what color suit to wear, the proper accessories/shoes, acceptable ties, etc. 

now i assume the "don't wear black" advice is still valid for either sex, but as for the rest i'm still clueless!

robelguapo

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 17, 2008, 11:51:52 AM »
ze tag

Thanks AK, great stuff. I had already bought a dark charcoal/subtle pinstrip suit prior to reading all the advice, so I feel pretty good about that! I thought the pinstripes may of been a little too 'varsity' for me, but I think I pull it off. Yes, I'm bad ass like that... ::)

So what's the etiquette on changing the suit, if, for example, you have only a couple/three? Switch them every other day or just wear one for a week or what???

AmericanGunner

• Sr. Citizen
  • Huge soccer fan, obviously...
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 17, 2008, 12:42:41 PM »
ze tag

Thanks AK, great stuff. I had already bought a dark charcoal/subtle pinstrip suit prior to reading all the advice, so I feel pretty good about that! I thought the pinstripes may of been a little too 'varsity' for me, but I think I pull it off. Yes, I'm bad ass like that... ::)

So what's the etiquette on changing the suit, if, for example, you have only a couple/three? Switch them every other day or just wear one for a week or what???

That's exactly why you buy neutral-colored suits: navy, charcoal, black (only for winter and evening wear), slate, etc. A different shirt everyday keeps things looking (and smelling) fresh. A clothes steamer also helps keep things fresh. Steam often, so you don't have to dryclean all the time. Dry cleaning will clean the clothes for sure, but it weakens the fabric.
"Please stop using obscenities in front of these people, or I'll be forced to thrash you."