Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Men: Buying a suit...  (Read 24112 times)

Prize Fight Promoter

• Sr. Citizen
  • Don King with a Law Degree
    • AOL Instant Messenger - jshap4321
    • View Profile
Re: Men: Buying a suit...
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2008, 12:18:39 PM »
Never buy a black suit as your first suit. 

Why?

wamuis1

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2008, 12:22:07 PM »

Why?

Don't listen to this advice.  A black suit is fine.  Nothing beats a good looking jet black suit. 

lovethelaw2010

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2008, 12:30:03 PM »

Why?

Don't listen to this advice.  A black suit is fine.  Nothing beats a good looking jet black suit. 

Wow, that is horrible, horrible advice that I have never heard in my life.  Black suits are for night time formal activities or funerals.  Law firms are conservative places not a place to make yourself a fashion icon.  Navy Blue and Charcoal Gray suits are the most acceptable.  Also, never ever wear a black suit on an interview.  One reason is like it or not law firms have to purport an image and they will judge you on how you look.  Black suits show that you don't what is acceptable in a conservative adult atmosphere.  If you want a black suit that is fine but it definitely should not be the first suit of somebody who is going to be wearing this for interview in a professional atmosphere for years to come.

Furthermore, people can tell an expensive suit for a cheap one.  It's not very hard.  Just take a look at the fabric and one can tell.  The way the suit hangs, the way that it is cut.  Young people might not be able to tell because they don't have much experience with suits.  Lawyers who wear them everyday can easily tell the difference.

lovethelaw2010

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2008, 12:31:23 PM »

wamuis1

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2008, 12:37:09 PM »

Why?

Wow, that is horrible, horrible advice that I have never heard in my life.  Black suits are for night time formal activities or funerals.  Law firms are conservative places not a place to make yourself a fashion icon.  Navy Blue and Charcoal Gray suits are the most acceptable.  Also, never ever wear a black suit on an interview.  One reason is like it or not law firms have to purport an image and they will judge you on how you look.  Black suits show that you don't what is acceptable in a conservative adult atmosphere.  If you want a black suit that is fine but it definitely should not be the first suit of somebody who is going to be wearing this for interview in a professional atmosphere for years to come.

Furthermore, people can tell an expensive suit for a cheap one.  It's not very hard.  Just take a look at the fabric and one can tell.  The way the suit hangs, the way that it is cut.  Young people might not be able to tell because they don't have much experience with suits.  Lawyers who wear them everyday can easily tell the difference.

This guy is flaming everyone.  He wants you to buy a 'conservative navy suit' so you'll make a fool of yourself.  I'm not saying you need to make a fashion statement but what color looks better than black.  Also, that link he posted is from GQ.  I would take fashion advice from GQ when looking for conservative law firm dress. 

Prize Fight Promoter

• Sr. Citizen
  • Don King with a Law Degree
    • AOL Instant Messenger - jshap4321
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2008, 12:39:36 PM »
This guy is flaming everyone.  He wants you to buy a 'conservative navy suit' so you'll make a fool of yourself.  I'm not saying you need to make a fashion statement but what color looks better than black.  Also, that link he posted is from GQ.  I would take fashion advice from GQ when looking for conservative law firm dress. 

I think it's time to just sense defeat and withdraw the argument.

wamuis1

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2008, 12:44:06 PM »

I think it's time to just sense defeat and withdraw the argument.

Okay, good luck taking this advice.  I was just trying to help out.  Go ahead and buy your $800 navy suit only to arrive at a law firm and find everyone in black suits. 

Have you seen Michael Clayton?  Do you think Hollywood didn't do there research and gave George Clooney a black suit? 

Guy Patterson

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2008, 12:48:28 PM »
Please, for the love of god, don't get a pinstripe suit if you are only getting one.

blues86

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2008, 01:09:32 PM »
Please, for the love of god, don't get a pinstripe suit if you are only getting one.

Haha, I have to agree with Guy on this one.  Pinstripe suits, unless the stripes are white/gray and very subtle, are ridiculous.  I'd recommend just going to the suit section of a department store and there will probably be one or two salesmen there to help you with fitting, style, etc, and you probably won't have to pay more than $300

I Post Relevant XO Links

• View Profile