Law School Discussion

Men: Buying a suit...

SCK2008

• View Profile
Re: Men: Buying a suit...
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2008, 12:26:00 PM »
I just bought a charcoal suit from Banks.  They do have a sale every other week...I'm happy with it...I think I could have done worse...

« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2008, 12:26:49 PM »
Why is everyone recommending navy over charcoal?  If they are equally professional, I'd much prefer a charcoal.

That's perfectly fine.  Probably because a matter of taste.  Navy looks better on me than charcoal so i go with that.

« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2008, 12:28:07 PM »
If I get a navy one as well, what color shoes will go well with it?
I did not want to buy any, but after two suits it really isn't a big deal.

I personally like cordovan shoes with navy blue.  Take a look at Allen Edmonds.  Expensive but will last you forever. 

« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2008, 12:31:56 PM »
No cufflinks for beginners. No pinstripes for beginners. Don't skimp on the shirt and tie. Tasteful navy/charcoal gray, no black. Don't skimp on the shirt and tie. I like Saks Off Fifth if you have one nearby (free tailoring at a real Saks.) And don't skimp on the shirt and tie.

« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2008, 12:34:26 PM »
If I get a navy one as well, what color shoes will go well with it?
I did not want to buy any, but after two suits it really isn't a big deal.

I personally like cordovan shoes with navy blue.  Take a look at Allen Edmonds.  Expensive but will last you forever. 

lol...cordovan.  yeah, you won't be respected until you wear shoes made from horses.  sorry buddy but most of us don't have $600 to spend on real cordovan shoes.  you probably own some 'cordovan' cow leather shoes and think you're hot sh*t.

this guy is flame, i hope no one takes his advice.  next thing you know he'll be telling you to wear brown shoes with your charcoal suit.

cup

« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2008, 12:39:44 PM »
So "cordovan" shoes w/ navy, what style of shoes are the most conventional?  I guess black shoes w/ navy is bad?

Also, the ties one could choose are endless.  In general what are the most conformist looks and colors to go w/ a navy and charcoal suit?

« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2008, 12:42:40 PM »
So "cordovan" shoes w/ navy, what style of shoes are the most conventional?  I guess black shoes w/ navy is bad?

Also, the ties one could choose are endless.  In general what are the most conformist looks and colors to go w/ a navy and charcoal suit?

if you have real cordorvan shoes it's fine but most of us can't afford real cordovan shoes (they usually start at around $600).  

either brown or black is fine with navy.  don't worry too much about shoes...most people don't notice them.  

just some guy

• WARNING: May Contain Troll or Flame-like Substance
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2008, 12:48:28 PM »

if you have real cordorvan shoes it's fine but most of us can't afford real cordovan shoes (they usually start at around $600).  

either brown or black is fine with navy.  don't worry too much about shoes...most people don't notice them. 

Oh dear God no. No. No. No. Not true. You wear a $500 suit with a $40 pair of shoes and people will point at you and laugh.

« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2008, 12:51:36 PM »

Oh dear God no. No. No. No. Not true. You wear a $500 suit with a $40 pair of shoes and people will point at you and laugh.

well if you have a $500 suit you should definitely bump up your shoes to the $80 range.  the point is no one is going to care how much your suit costs.

most partners i've spoken with are offended when an associate dresses better than them.  you people are over thinking this way too much.

Lobstah!

• Lobster is murder.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2008, 12:54:04 PM »
The firm I work at is business casual as well, but you will always need a suit eventually.