Law School Discussion

Men: Buying a suit...

AmericanGunner

• Huge soccer fan, obviously...
    • View Profile
Re: Men: Buying a suit...
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2008, 10:24:21 AM »
A few thoughts:

1) A cheap suit is insanely easy to pick out.

2) Black suits... eh.  Most first suits should be a solid navy.

Most of the rest of this thread is credited, though.

You're right on the first count, but the 2nd is precisely why I said you need at least TWO suits. A black suit is good for evenings, funerals, yes. But they also stand up to wear very well (if they are well made), and are easy to keep clean.

The one caveat of a solid black suit is that you should never wear a white shirt and black tie with it, unless you're a rock star or a waiter. A nice colored shirt (light blue, salmon, etc) or a shirt with small pinstripes is good with a black suit.

Your other suit can be a navy suit, dark or light grey, etc. It's good to be able to switch it up and have a choice in the morning.

Martin Prince, Jr.

• Excelsior!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2008, 10:36:08 AM »
A few thoughts:

1) A cheap suit is insanely easy to pick out.

2) Black suits... eh.  Most first suits should be a solid navy.

3) Pinstripes are fine when tasteful

And the important thoughts:

1) For your first suit, don't go to Men's Wearhouse.  People make fun of people who go to Men's Wearhouse.  Go to J.A. Banks.  People will still be able to tell you're wearing "The Bank," but it is generally accepted as the preferred cheap suit.

2) For your first suit if you're not on a budget, go to Brooks Brothers.  Great suits for around six or seven hundred.

3) Past your first suit, try to observe the "Suit Cost Nadir."  That's the minimum you should spend on a suit, and it's $500.

Most of the rest of this thread is credited, though.

I'd suggest signing up for JA Banks email list. They have something or another on sale every week or so, and will have suits marked down in the 2-3 hundred dollar range.

Astro

• Happy birthday goalie!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2008, 11:05:32 AM »
If you're buying suits for the first time, there are some things you need to know -

1. You need at least two. One dark, one light. A black suit works well, then a medium blue or a gray suit, and you're covered for winter and spring, and for daytime or evening time. Once you've made some money and can buy more suits, then you can get into summer fabric weights and winter fabric weights.

2. Most people do not look good in brown suits. There are exceptions, however. Dark brown can often be a winner.

3. There are many different cuts of suit, but for most men there are only two - single or double breasted. Single breasted suits button down the middle. Double breasted suits are like what David Letterman wears, with one leaf (side) going over the other leaf, and the buttons are off center. Pick whichever you like. Bigger (read - chunkier) men tend to look better in double breasted suits.

4. It's worth the extra investment to get the suit cut the way you want it if you're buying it off the rack. If the store will do it for you, that's fine. If not, take it to a good seamstress/tailor.

5. The waist, shoulders and sleeve lengths are not easily changed. MAKE SURE THESE FIT when you buy the suit. The waist is easily taken in (made smaller,) but not easily made wider.

6. Unless you're really small and skinny, stay away from thick shoulder pads. Most men have broad enough shoulders.

7. Pants should break (sit) just high enough to settle on the tops of your shoes. Proper pants fit means the legs will cover your socks when you're standing, but the legs will ride up a little when you sit. Suit pants aren't supposed to be baggy like jeans. If they are, you'll look silly.

8. Shirt sleeves should peek out a little (but just a little) from jacket sleeves. This is both aesthetic and practical. The shirt cuffs will provide color, and they keep the jacket sleeve cuffs from rubbing against things (including your hands, where they'll pick up dirt.)

9. Speaking of shirts, they are just as important as the suit. Keep the fit slim so they don't billow when you tuck them in. There are many different collars for shirts, some broad, some small. Some collars go well with suits of certain types, others don't. You need a white shirt, a blue shirt, and a striped shirt of some kind. DO NOT WEAR A TIE WITH A SHIRT WITH COLLAR BUTTONS. This is a pet peeve of mine - button collars are only on shirts designed for casual wear, i.e. to be worn without a tie. Shirts designed for ties will have semi stiff or stiff collars, with collar tabs either sewn in or with little pockets for the tabs.

10. Get the basic fit down first, and worry about other things later (like pocket squares, french cuffs, cufflinks, tie bars, etc.). Also, do not wear loafers with a suit. Again, loafers (even the ones with the tassels) are casual shoes. Even monkstrap shoes (shoes with the buckle on the side and no laces) are better than tassel loafers.

Hope this helps!

Jesus Christ.  I mean, I already have a few suits, but I'm still tagging this post for future reference.

[suit]

(Just in case the search function returns one day.)

« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2008, 11:54:48 AM »
Hickey Freeman suits are amazing!

SCK2008

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2008, 12:03:34 PM »
I like this thread. 

.gaT

cup

« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2008, 12:06:17 PM »
Will one charcoal grey 1818 not suffice?

just some guy

• WARNING: May Contain Troll or Flame-like Substance
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2008, 12:10:57 PM »
Here's a tip for SAs. Wear what the associates at the firm are wearing, and nothing cheaper. You'd be suprised how many conversations I've had with partners where a SA is refered to as "Oh, you mean the guy with the crappy suit?" And the partners' wives are worse, as in "please tell me you're not going to hire the boy who dresses like a personal injury lawyer." If everyone is wearing MW, go ahead. (Which means you're at a insurance defense firm, but what the hell, it's a job.)

just some guy

• WARNING: May Contain Troll or Flame-like Substance
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2008, 12:13:25 PM »
Will one charcoal grey 1818 not suffice?

Less than two suits is a mistake, more than three is a luxury. (I'm pretty sure I'm stealing that line from somebody)

cup

« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2008, 12:15:15 PM »
If I get a navy one as well, what color shoes will go well with it?
I did not want to buy any, but after two suits it really isn't a big deal.

Prize Fight Promoter

• Don King with a Law Degree
    • AOL Instant Messenger - jshap4321
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2008, 12:21:49 PM »
Why is everyone recommending navy over charcoal?  If they are equally professional, I'd much prefer a charcoal.