Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Reading Comphrehension  (Read 1144 times)

Mike295855

• View Profile
    • Email
Reading Comphrehension
« on: April 25, 2008, 07:45:22 AM »
I am not the best at this and was wondering those who have scored very well have done to be able to master it.
Thanks

Mike295855

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Reading Comphrehension
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2008, 09:54:04 AM »
Thank you. I will take a look at it.

If anyone has any other advice please feel free to give me your input. I am taking the test in JUNE and need as much help as possible.

mbw

• LSD Obsessed
  • TTTundra Law 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2008, 10:15:04 AM »
Jay pointed you to the best source of information on LSD. 

A more specific question would be helpful as well.  Where are you running into problems?  Specific problem types, e.g., global vs. local?  Timing?  RC is the most difficult section on which to improve in a short period of time, so if you're having serious problems now (more than 1-2 questions wrong per passage) and haven't pinpointed the problems (which is the sense I get from the vagueness of your original question) you probably don't have enough time before June to rectify the problem.
I'm in a lynch mob?  I had no idea.  This is really worrying; I really don't have time for another extra-curricular activity.

space for rent.

Mike295855

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2008, 11:07:00 AM »
I am having problems with global questions, particularly what is the main point of the passage.

LSATHell

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2008, 09:41:11 PM »
Make sure you're actively reading throughout the passage.  Each time you encounter a statement you should be shoring it up against the statements that preceded it. 

Where is the author going?  Are there certain positive/negative words that she/he uses?  Is the point to just discuss various views, or to discuss views but agree with one?  Who's side does he/she agree with? 

There are a million more questions that will come up.  My advice is to be very actively engaging in the passage as you read.  RC will keep you on your toes more than any other section IMO.  It is more exhausting to be focused that intensely with that much material than it is with short LR questions.  Newer RC sections are harder too (IMO), which leaves you barely enough time to adequately assess all the answer choices. 

Although I respect frybread's opinion, don't let his comments discourage you.  Focus and practice.  You'll be fine!

I think that's pretty much the best advice you'll get for RC.
If there's any magic formula for the RC section, then that is it.
I was pretty bad at RC as well, until I just started to subvocalize and read actively, asking myself relevant questions along the way.
By doing that, improvement was instantaneous.  Speed actually improved as well.
I stopped making all the pointless boxes, circles and annotations and instead retained most of the information by
changing how I read.  Though, I still underline of course.

Anyway, I sympathize with your situation and wish you the best of success.

Mike295855

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2008, 08:39:48 PM »
Ever since I posted this I have been practicing with what I have been told. In some instances I have improved, in others I have remained the same. Nevertheless, I am getting a better feel for the main point questions and am answering them correct. However, the one question that I always feel uncomfortable with and seem to always get wrong is the authors attitude.

I know when the authoer states an opinion or has a feeling towards something in particular. Nevertheless, when the question asks you to pick which one of the following described the authors tone/attidue I seem to always eliminate only two.

How can I tackle this question better? Thank you in advance.

nnebaby

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2008, 08:53:17 PM »
Hey guys, I have been reading the thread and I feel that I could benefit from your comments. I am also having the most trouble with reading comp. So bad that is has become depressing, and I am planning to take the June exam. I cant manage to get less than 1-3 more commonly 3 wrong per passage. I am not sure what my problem is. I usually have to go back to the passage which also wastes time. I am trying to get better. I am doing atleast 6 passages per day and am still not seeing progress. Any suggestions?? Any at all would be helpful!!

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • AOL Instant Messenger - EarlCat78
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2008, 09:02:56 PM »
Rework your passages.  How was the passage structured?  What was the main point of each paragraph?  What was the point of the passage?  How does the author feel about his subject?  (How do you know?)  What was he trying to accomplish by writing it?  What important things did you miss the first time?  How might you have known that would be important?  What new things will you look for next time?

If you're just working passage after passage after passage you're not going to get anywhere.  You've got to carefully look at what you've done right and wrong and modify your approach accordingly.