Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 0L Please Help  (Read 2439 times)

NYC2L

• View Profile
Re: 0L Please Help
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2008, 03:56:10 PM »
Sorry for the barrage of information. The fact of the matter is that there is no consensus for what supplemental materials should be used--if any. Personally, I found E&E helpful for civ pro, torts and contracts, others, like YellowBrickRoad, recommend something called CALI (which I am not familiar with) and do not particularly value E&E. I did not use commercial outlines because I preferred briefing cases myself. I felt that it forced me to understand the cases individually. But I know plenty of people who swear by them. Similarly, even if you use E&Es or Gilberts, don't use them as a crutch. They're called supplements for a reason.

Also, I would suggest that you not overload on supplements at the beginning. You will already have enough reading to do. After a month or so, evaluate your understanding of the material. If you feel that your understanding is lacking, purchase one supplement for each class. Again, E&E's were my preference but that perspective is far from ubiquitous.

Finally, to reiterate, relax over the summer. Read the relevant parts of LSC. The book covers all three years and I don't recommend jumping ahead--it caused me a lot of anxiety.

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2008, 04:31:41 PM »
Dont buy anything.  Wait till law school.  You are going to vandy I assume?  this means you have decent professors and many probably wrote their own supplements/books.  If this is the situation, you are so much better off with their commercial outlines.  Wait and see if you even need anything at all.  You might really understand it.

It is surprising that wikipedia is so helpful, but almost every important supreme court case is briefed on there.

Cali is a great resource, but most schools dont even tell you about it.  Its mini lessons/multiple choice questions and is helpful for exam prep. 

Dont worry too much about law school now.  NYC2L and I both really stressed it before hand, I know I was a mess anyway.  We both figured it out right away.  Its not difficult and you will probably understand it. 

themanwithnoname

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2008, 04:33:05 PM »
Thorc's point is really good, and in addition you want to know what casebook you are using before you get an outline.

ksully

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2008, 04:43:54 PM »
Yea def don't buy any. The library should have hornbooks and supplements like E&E and Glannon. Check those out first, then decide which you like more andif you need to buy them or you can just use the libraries. Def don't buy a hornbook, way too much money.

Easyway to id a hornbook - its got a green cover.

jsb221

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2008, 10:04:23 AM »
I agree with waiting. There's so many study aids out there. The best thing to find is one that works for you. Personally, I like the Crunchtime series. It's a quick read and very to the point. But if you are struggling with a particular area, a hornbook will be very helpful. But don't read the entire thing. Just read the sections that pertain to what you are struggling with.
I also like the Law in a Flash series. The flashcards are great for a quick review between class and it really drills the concepts into your head thru the mini hypos.
But nothing tops doing your own briefs and outlining. If anything, a commercial outline like Emanuel's should be used to supplement what you have.