Law School Discussion

ITT: Accurate answers to questions about biglaw

Re: ITT: Accurate answers to questions about biglaw
« Reply #70 on: April 25, 2008, 11:23:40 PM »
Yeah Wally, I'm the one who is screwed since I'm not going to a T14!!!!!!!!!11e121212f12 fzomg

Why no Cornell for you?  (out of sheer nosiness)

My girlfriend is from upstate NY and hates it up there. She is a huge priority in my life and it had to be a factor. Even from a selfish stand point, I felt like the lessened risk of doing so poorly that I can't find gainful employment is negated by the plausibility of my doing poorly because I wasn't as happy as I could be in my home life. After all, if I'm not happy I'm not going to do as well as if I were happy.

« Reply #71 on: April 25, 2008, 11:26:05 PM »
Going through twenty-odd screening interviews is mind-boggling to me. Any advice?
No matter how much you may be tempted to do so, when you forget what firm you're interviewing with, do NOT just read the interviewer's coffee cup and refer to her firm as "Dean & Deluca LLP".

That's just the type of thing I would try.

Do they just launch right in with the questions, or do you have a chance to make small talk and try to get a sense of personalities in the room?

What's the wackiest question you were asked?

It varies, some people chat, some people are all business. In my experienced partners are a lot less formal than associates.

the wackiest question: "why do you want to work here, and dont give me the song and dance about cutting edge work big firm blah blah"

« Reply #72 on: April 25, 2008, 11:27:28 PM »
Anybody else enjoy The Devil Wears Prada? I mean, we're talking about Anne Hatheway so it seems like a fair question...

SCK2008

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 25, 2008, 11:27:37 PM »
Makes sense.  I'll be a tier 2 but I imagine its going to be a tough decision when I have to decide on whether I want to transfer to UCLA or Harvard for similar reasons.  (that's a joke, for the record).

SCK2008

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 25, 2008, 11:30:12 PM »
She was much better in the Princess Diaries.

Kidding...I saw Prada and I didn't mind it...

« Reply #75 on: April 25, 2008, 11:31:39 PM »
Kidding? The Princess Diaries 1 and 2 were both genuinely good movies! I judge solely on the basis of being entertained.

Quail!

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 25, 2008, 11:31:54 PM »
Anybody else enjoy The Devil Wears Prada? I mean, we're talking about Anne Hatheway so it seems like a fair question...

Wildly entertaining.  My friends all make fun of me.  But that's ok.

« Reply #77 on: April 25, 2008, 11:33:10 PM »
I've come to terms with being judged negatively for my taste in entertainment. I'm glad you have too.

SCK2008

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 25, 2008, 11:34:54 PM »
I'm not judging you by any means...I just haven't seen the Diaries yet...

I did notice that Anne was alleged to have done a nude scene though and its quite possible I might have seen a clip of said scene on the interweb....

« Reply #79 on: April 25, 2008, 11:36:32 PM »
Haha, I'm not saying you are. I mean IRL*.

* I love the work that real does.