Law School Discussion

ITT: Accurate answers to questions about biglaw

Re: ITT: Accurate answers to questions about biglaw
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2008, 08:29:39 PM »
When you say networking, suppose you know a hiring partner very well and seems to like you but your grades leave much to be desired (Not even top 33% at a T2 school), will that get you in the door? 

« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2008, 09:18:04 PM »
I would seriously doubt it. Hiring is by committee, not one person, at most firms, and while a personal connection with a partner will certainly help if you have what they are looking for in terms of hard factors, and might even push you over if you are just below, honestly in my experience T2 people only get hired if they are top 10% (I don't know the exact percentile, point is, grades have to be extremely high).

clairel

• UChicago 3L
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2008, 09:30:34 PM »
I would seriously doubt it. Hiring is by committee, not one person, at most firms, and while a personal connection with a partner will certainly help if you have what they are looking for in terms of hard factors, and might even push you over if you are just below, honestly in my experience T2 people only get hired if they are top 10% (I don't know the exact percentile, point is, grades have to be extremely high).

i would concur with this, unless by knowing the hiring partner "very well" you mean that he's a family member. even if said law firm recruits a lot of graduates from your specific t2, i think you would want to be at least top 1/3 to get your foot in the door.

« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2008, 09:34:56 PM »

i would concur with this, unless by knowing the hiring partner "very well" you mean that he's a family member. even if said law firm recruits a lot of graduates from your specific t2, i think you would want to be at least top 1/3 to get your foot in the door.

In many cases this will not only not help but will actually bar you from employment at the firm. I know two people at law school who are the children of partners at law firms, and both of them mentioned that they can't work there because the firm has a policy that children of partners cannot be hired.

clairel

• UChicago 3L
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2008, 09:36:43 PM »

In many cases this will not only not help but will actually bar you from employment at the firm. I know two people at law school who are the children of partners at law firms, and both of them mentioned that they can't work there because the firm has a policy that children of partners cannot be hired.

damn. i'm suddenly glad that there are NO biglaw attorneys in my family.

nealric

• a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2008, 11:11:10 PM »
In many cases this will not only not help but will actually bar you from employment at the firm. 

Yep, any connection with the hiring/managing partner that is so close it would give you the job without the hard qualifications is probably so close that most firm's anti-nepotism rules will keep you out.

BUT

A a family friend type connection could get you an interview if you are otherwise on the bubble.

Another exception: if you are the child of a very importaint client they might take you no matter what. (And if you are the child of an important client to most biglaw firms, you are probably already set for life regardless) 

« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2008, 11:24:17 PM »
If you can get a summer 1L position, would it be silly to take a non-paying (or low paying) job somewhere cool? For instance, an internship with the World Intellectual Property Organization or the Harvard Berkman Center. That is, is this a stupid move?

Quail!

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2008, 11:30:09 PM »
If you can get a summer 1L position, would it be silly to take a non-paying (or low paying) job somewhere cool? For instance, an internship with the World Intellectual Property Organization or the Harvard Berkman Center. That is, is this a stupid move?

No, probably not a bad idea at all.  If you are going to do BigLaw in the end anyway, 1L summer is the time to go do something cool/interesting/different if you have the opportunity.

« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2008, 11:30:47 PM »

Nope.  This happened to a friend of mine this year.  Got a 1L gig at a big firm, but then was accepted to summer program at The Hague.  Obviously, he took the gig at the Hague--even the hiring partner told him that he should.

« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2008, 11:32:44 PM »
Confirms my suspicions. Thanks for the replies.