Law School Discussion

Reapply? Another 19-year-old wants your advice

EdFu

Reapply? Another 19-year-old wants your advice
« on: April 24, 2008, 02:32:48 PM »
I, too, am also 19 - I started college at 15, took four years, and now I'm facing graduation.  I'm tentatively going to NYU, but I feel as though this cycle was unkind to me (3.57/176), and some years off might help me crack HYS (specifically H) if I worked for it.

The problem is is that I just don't know what I would do in that intervening time.  I don't want to work a 9-to-5.  I would love to travel the world (my goal is Peace Corps), but for personal reasons I'd rather not get into, I cannot travel abroad for any period of time more than a month or so for the next several years.  I need to stay within the States, and really preferably here in New Jersey.

As such, are there meaningful things I could do in Jersey or NYC - not just to boost my soft factors, but that wouldn't be just as boring as what I would be doing anyway?  Everyone says to "take time off" and "do something with your life", but what is that supposed to actually mean?  I'm not going to sit at home and play video games, or go work as a cashier; even being a paralegal seems kind of silly to me, since I doubt a year or two of paralegal work would skyrocket me into HYS just like that.

Or is it really just not worth it, and should I just go to law school, and then take time off after that?  I'm okay with NYU, I like being in the city, and it's certainly nothing to be ashamed of.

Re: Reapply? Another 19-year-old wants your advice
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 02:47:53 PM »
you're locked out of HYS with a 3.57; if you wait another year, the best you'll get is Columbia, which is a virtual wash with NYU

i understand that the subject you studied was more difficult than the average liberal arts major, but you're still locked out with that GPA; plus you're asian and you are going to have to meet a higher standard than other applicants

look at this older applicant with similar grades and LSAT score:
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=techpers0n

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2008, 02:57:43 PM »
you need time off, during which you would preferably do the most useless thing possible.  I'm dead serious.

Well, not the most useless thing possible (sit at home playing computer games).  But there's a ton of jobs that would be really great -- honestly, I'm normal aged and I can't help but wish I'd had a year just to spend waitering or house painting or something.  Just something to help grow up a little.

t L

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2008, 03:03:09 PM »
you're locked out of HYS with a 3.57; if you wait another year, the best you'll get is Columbia, which is a virtual wash with NYU

i understand that the subject you studied was more difficult than the average liberal arts major, but you're still locked out with that GPA; plus you're asian and you are going to have to meet a higher standard than other applicants

look at this older applicant with similar grades and LSAT score:
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=techpers0n

TITCR.  Columbia is probably the best that you'll be able to do.  Seriously.

Majmun

• Now Featuring Excess Whiteness
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2008, 03:10:57 PM »

This was my experience with a 3.55/175 and I had great recs and potent soft factors.

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2008, 03:11:57 PM »
even being a paralegal seems kind of silly to me, since I doubt a year or two of paralegal work would skyrocket me into HYS just like that.

it might seem "silly" but it might be a good idea to get a paralegal job to make sure you know what you're getting into.

don't go this year, take some time off.  you'll regret it if you don't.

do you live with your parents?  move out on your own, live a little.

19....you've got a LOT of time to go back to school. enjoy it while you can.

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2008, 03:17:22 PM »
To the OP -

I think you should go with your gut and travel and/or work abroad. I would consult with the folks at NYU about letting you do this. You will gain invaluable experience - as well as additional age and wisdom - by getting out there and then starting law school a bit later. Plus, think of all of the new perspective you will bring to the subject matter when you do go to school.

Fearless may be right that your GPA may make it tough for HYS. However - remember that you can always work hard your first year and then apply to transfer, if you still feel strongly about it at that point. Moreover, if you have some more real-world experience before taking on that first year, you will me more motivated and focused, regardless of whether or not you decide to transfer.

I took a year working abroad before college, and it completely changed my academic experience. I had been accepted and deferred - after some encouragement, b/c I too was on the fence.

Best of luck -
Serena

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2008, 03:20:27 PM »
Edit -
even if you can't go abroad (just saw that)...there is americorps, teach for america, lots of other options. Domestic work may also influence the law studies you pursue in the future.
-SVDW.

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2008, 03:22:18 PM »
Paralegal job is overrated.  Work in business, politics, science, consulting, policy...

agreed.

fwiw, i'm very against a 19 yo going to law school.

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2008, 03:29:52 PM »
But do you think OP has maxed out?  If so, I'd agree but OP should defer rather than reapply. 

are you asking me?  if so, probably, unless op retakes the lsat and gets a 180 and is able to add some incredible softs to his app.  otherwise, NYU/CLS is where its at (not that that's a bad thing by any means ;)).