Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: So, what were the WORST mistakes you made in the application process...  (Read 1609 times)

Penn263

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Mistakes
I sent out the wrong e-mail address to UCLA, thus bouncing every single e-mail they sent me for an entire half year and missing a bunch of important information. I realized this mistake at the point when they waitlisted me. 

Not taking an LSAT prep course.

Asking for recommendations only a couple months before I needed them, instead of earlier.

To whom much is given, much is expected.

UMDMike

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Sending the wrong PS to BC and GW.  Not doing any of the "Why ___" essays.  But screw those schools anyhow, I prefer ones that accept you based on numbers alone anyhow...
University of Minnesota Law Class of 2011

Lobstah!

• Sr. Citizen
  • Lobster is murder.
    • View Profile
    • If I only had a brain...
Applying to schools in Chicago so I could be with my SO...who I broke up with in January.

I sent her an invoice for the app fees.
Don't think changing your avatar will make you safe.  I'll eat baby lobsters.  I'm not above that.

Kingdom of Lizards

non parata est

• Sr. Citizen
  • buh??
    • View Profile
This deserves a big ol' sloppy TAG.
Quote from: Lionel Hutz, Esq.
Well he's had it in for me ever since I kinda ran over his dog... Well, replace the word "kinda" with "repeatedly" and the word "dog" with "son."

stricly bricly

• Sr. Citizen
  • berkeley 2011
    • View Profile
i did everything perfectly except for not proofreading the application i sent out to duke, not applying to stanford just to make sure i'd get dinged, cutting one of my LOR writers way too much slack and thus getting my applications out a month later than i'd hoped, not getting enough sleep before the LSAT, and worrying too much.

but it all turned out pretty okay for me.

Penn263

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Applying to schools in Chicago so I could be with my SO...who I broke up with in January.

I sent her an invoice for the app fees.

that's harsh.

another mistake: A HUGE retarded typo on my DS. Which I could've sworn proofreading 1,000 times. It was too personal to have a random person proofread it for me...
To whom much is given, much is expected.

Martin Prince, Jr.

• Sr. Citizen
  • Excelsior!
    • View Profile
Seeing some trends here...

My number 1: Not taking a prep course from the get-go. Best 1200 bucks I'll ever spend.

Number 2: Not riding one of my profs hard enough to have his rec in before the LSAT came in so I could immediately send out apps Dec 22nd.
Rising 1L

moops

• View Profile
Mistakes

Asking for recommendations only a couple months before I needed them, instead of earlier.

This was also my biggest mistake.  I asked for LORs around three months in advance of when I needed them, and I was still scrambling to wrap things up when I submitted my applications (then it takes LSAC additional time to process them, especially during the busy season).  I suggest a 5-6 months' notice, with periodic "checking in" e-mails or calls. 

stricly bricly

• Sr. Citizen
  • berkeley 2011
    • View Profile
i too would suggest getting those LORs in as SOON as possible.  really, set an artificially early deadline for your recommenders (say, august) to get their letters in to LSAC.  since LSAC just saves them, it's not like there's such a thing as the letters getting sent in "too early," and you will feel so good when it's september and you're not worrying about processing times or anything.

jags

• View Profile

Me four.