Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: UCLA v. Boston College ($$$)  (Read 1315 times)

Penn263

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
UCLA v. Boston College ($$$)
« on: April 24, 2008, 12:06:44 PM »
any thoughts?
To whom much is given, much is expected.

Penn263

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: UCLA v. Boston College ($$$)
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 12:12:59 PM »
Yeah, I am. But I'm wondering if I should just withdrawal and focus on BC... If I do get into UCLA it may cost way more money and I'm trying to determine if it's worth trying to get off the waitlist...

Where do you want to practice?
#1 LA
#2 NYC

Penn263

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2008, 12:19:38 PM »
Yeah, I am. But I'm wondering if I should just withdrawal and focus on BC... If I do get into UCLA it may cost way more money and I'm trying to determine if it's worth trying to get off the waitlist...

Where do you want to practice?
#1 LA
#2 NYC

Then UCLA if you get off the waitlist.

A lot of us (including myself and paper) are in this situation -- substantial scholarship $$ at the school OUTSIDE the region they'd like to practice in, and in without money or waitlisted at a school in your desired market.  It sucks but in the end you have to force yourself to go where you are in the market you'd like to practice in.

Yeah, it be amazing to get off the waitlist and go to UCLA. I love BC A LOT, but it's just not in the region I want to live or practice.

Also, did you all send in add'l recommendations once you were put on the waitlist? I called up UCLA and it seems like others are doing it. I'm wondering if it's commonplace.

Penn263

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2008, 12:38:36 PM »

1- UCLA will be more expensive
2- There are about 500 people on their wait-list

HTH

Christ, where'd you get that figure?? Do they like not reject people? Just place them all on waitlist...

Penn263

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2008, 04:10:42 PM »
yeah of course, i know. but it's just so hopeless to be the waitlist, it's like a de facto rejection... like a kind way of saying you're reject. but nonetheless, i'm keeping my hopes up!!!

Penn263

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2008, 04:11:44 PM »
oh yeah, and today, my professor just wrote me a kick ass waitlist supplemental recommendation and I hope it helps!

UnoriginalAndrew

• Sr. Citizen
  • I found a Moonrock in my nose!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2008, 04:35:38 PM »
Haha, I'm on the UCLA waitlist, too, with money from BC.  I'd prefer to work in LA, but at this point, I'm set on BC.  I'm considering just writing UCLA and telling them to take me off the WL, but I'd kinda like to see the final decision.
I Choo-Choo-Choose you:  Boston College Law School, Class of 2011

Penn263

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2008, 04:41:33 PM »
oh yeah, and today, my professor just wrote me a kick ass waitlist supplemental recommendation and I hope it helps!

I do too!  Not that I have a personal agenda or anything...

You should know by now that nothing would make me happier than you getting off BC's WL.

Penn263

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2008, 04:44:55 PM »
Haha, I'm on the UCLA waitlist, too, with money from BC.  I'd prefer to work in LA, but at this point, I'm set on BC.  I'm considering just writing UCLA and telling them to take me off the WL, but I'd kinda like to see the final decision.

So then would you choose UCLA (no money) over BC ($$$) if it did come down to it??

Penn263

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2008, 04:45:54 PM »
Whether they take him off the waitlist or reject him.

Incidentally, I'm waitlisted at UCLA as well, but I lost the response form.  So I guess I inadvertantly withdrew?

Oops.
Was it over 3 weeks ago that you were WL'ed?