Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How much does it take to be a URM? 1/4? 1/8? 1/16?  (Read 3261 times)

$Bill

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
How much does it take to be a URM? 1/4? 1/8? 1/16?
« on: April 24, 2008, 09:31:37 AM »
Just checking

J.A.A.N.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: How much does it take to be a URM? 1/4? 1/8? 1/16?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 09:55:32 AM »
LOL. funny question. Aren't we all really just an eighth of this, an eighth of that, etc.? or is it just me?

I'd say "check the box" that most closely matches your birth certificate (can't go wrong with that) and then write about the rest in a diversity statement if you want to highlight all the eighths and fourths, etc. and how they make you who you are.
(Just Adding Another Notch)

Maddie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2008, 10:07:01 AM »
Just checking

hahaha   ;)

I always thought it was 1/2, unless you are American Indian in which case I think it is some ridiculously small percentage, but I'm not sure exactly what.  1/32 maybe??

J.A.A.N.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2008, 10:22:50 AM »
Just checking

hahaha   ;)

I always thought it was 1/2, unless you are American Indian in which case I think it is some ridiculously small percentage, but I'm not sure exactly what.  1/32 maybe??

:D LOL. The issue with being some ridiculously small percent American Indian is proving it. By the time you are "1/32" wouldn't that make your A.I. ancestors long deceased? Two out of 4 of my great-grands were A.I. what the hell does that make me. I never calculated it or tried to use it to make it work for me.  ???

Maddie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2008, 10:28:52 AM »
Just checking

hahaha   ;)

:D LOL. The issue with being some ridiculously small percent American Indian is proving it. By the time you are "1/32" wouldn't that make your A.I. ancestors long deceased? Two out of 4 of my great-grands were A.I. what the hell does that make me. I never calculated it or tried to use it to make it work for me.  ???

I'm not sure how they go about proving it, maybe you have to be registered in a tribe or something?  I really don't know.  I just know that I went to an Ivy undergrad that heavily recruits AI's and trust me there were a lot more "American Indians" on campus than there were American Indians...

(I totally don't blame anyone for taking advantage of what they can... but it just seems like the school failed at its goal by only recruiting people who checked the box rather than recruiting from the severely disadvantaged reservations.)

Maddie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2008, 10:31:17 AM »
I think a lot of people use 1/4th... though I feel "bad" enough about using 1/2... but I was raised by my hispanic parent with the language, culture, etc and that's what I identify with.  My sister was raised by my other parent and didn't get this as much so she usually doesn't answer as just "hispanic", she'll do like "biracial" or something.   I strongly identify with being hispanic, I mean - I AM Hispanic so yeah.

1/4th I would say is my limit in terms of my opinion of others using it.  I mean, you could have been raised by your grandparent who was of that ethnicity, or they could have been a strong influence in your life or something.  1/8 or 1/16 is a little ridiculous IMHO.

Why should you feel bad?  It's not like you lied, and it's not like you invented the system.

My feelings on AA are very conflicted (full disclosure: I am half Hispanic.) But, I do feel that in a competitive process like this everyone should use every advantage they have.

J.A.A.N.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2008, 10:32:18 AM »
I agree with you Cosmo. I also see alot of times, for people who are 1/2, where the "officials" (birth cert., etc) list you as your father's race.

I have several family members who are 1/2 PR and 1/2 AA and some of them ID more with the PR side and others with the AA side of their families. Like you said, I think what you ID with is a reflection of the culture, etc. of the person who raised you and the side of the family you were closest to.

J.A.A.N.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2008, 10:34:51 AM »
Just checking

hahaha   ;)

~~~*****~~~~~~~~~OMGZ YOU SHOULD APPLY NEXT CYCLE AS AI OMGZZZZZZZZZZZ 1/32!!!~~~*****~~~~~~~~~

People who do that crap are super lame.

LOL. you mean I'd have a shot at YHS?   ??? I'm reapplying next cycle for sure. LOL

J.A.A.N.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2008, 10:36:21 AM »
LMAO.  ;D

J.A.A.N.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2008, 10:43:43 AM »
I think that was an excellent approach to your PS. It reflects a very true reality of people in "your position" that people often overlook. And being a minority even within your minority group shapes even more unique and interesting perspectives. I'm sure it was an enjoyable read.