Law School Discussion

How much does it take to be a URM? 1/4? 1/8? 1/16?

Re: How much does it take to be a URM? 1/4? 1/8? 1/16?
« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2008, 11:19:35 AM »
Bury My Soul At Wounded Knee was enough to make me sympathetic to the plight of the native americans, and I am 1/32 Micmac.  No need to get offended about my peoples fight with firewater.

Edit: It may be 1/64

Canadian or Maine?  Chief Phillips is a long-time friend of mine, and I have Micmac, Maliseet and Penobscot ancestors as well.  Are you enrolled?  ABoM does not have a BQ requirement.

However, having an Indian ancestor is NOT the same as being NDN, no matter whether or not you know (or don't know) your BQ.  Unless you're NDN, making that "joke" isn't appropriate, as you're essentially saying that being an alcoholic is criteria for being NDN, feeding into the worst stereotypes used against us.  They're not "your people" unless they claim you as one of their own.  Doesn't work the other way around.

Nova Scotian actually.  Get over it really

WTF suddenly I don't feel so bad about your Suffolk WL.

$Bill

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: How much does it take to be a URM? 1/4? 1/8? 1/16?
« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2008, 11:25:04 AM »
Bury My Soul At Wounded Knee was enough to make me sympathetic to the plight of the native americans, and I am 1/32 Micmac.  No need to get offended about my peoples fight with firewater.

Edit: It may be 1/64

Canadian or Maine?  Chief Phillips is a long-time friend of mine, and I have Micmac, Maliseet and Penobscot ancestors as well.  Are you enrolled?  ABoM does not have a BQ requirement.

However, having an Indian ancestor is NOT the same as being NDN, no matter whether or not you know (or don't know) your BQ.  Unless you're NDN, making that "joke" isn't appropriate, as you're essentially saying that being an alcoholic is criteria for being NDN, feeding into the worst stereotypes used against us.  They're not "your people" unless they claim you as one of their own.  Doesn't work the other way around.

Nova Scotian actually.  Get over it really

WTF suddenly I don't feel so bad about your Suffolk WL.

lol, im not being a feminine hygiene product.  It was supposed to be framed as a Dwight Schrute question - fact *question- which bear is best* etc..  Internet boards are poor conveyors of humour.  I also am almost never offended, i apologize.