Law School Discussion

How much does it take to be a URM? 1/4? 1/8? 1/16?

mbw

• TTTundra Law 2012
    • View Profile
Re: How much does it take to be a URM? 1/4? 1/8? 1/16?
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2008, 09:30:21 AM »
Question: Do you have a problem with the "firewater"

a-hole.

mbw

• TTTundra Law 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2008, 09:37:08 AM »
Just to add some flippancy to a very serious thread, I'm a direct descendant of Pocahontas and John Rolfe. What does that make me?? :) :)

Question: Do you live in a Teepee or wigwam.

Powhatans lived in neither.  They lived in lodges.

Does it work in my favor or against that I haven't seen Disney's Pocahontas, or that movie from a year or two ago "New World"?

Has no impact (too widely available, so no actual effort necessary.)  On the other hand, have you seen Smoke Signals?  Naturally Native?  Read anything from Vine Deloria?  Used a bow and arrow to hunt bison?  Built a sweat lodge with only a stone knife?  Designed a new line of petroglyphs?  These are questions from the "Are you NDN enough?" questionnaire I received recently from the BIA.

I must admit to having done none of this. I have read Revenge of the Pequots and Without Reservation though, so I know that, like Skip Hayward, it's never too late to start ;)

Ugh, take Benedict with a wicked large grain of salt.  I grew up in that area (worked for the CT state archaeologist on Pequot NAGPRA issues) he's an idiot. 

As to your GF's sister - eh, I said before that my being a URM spokesperson stops with NDNs.  Do Latinos/as view ethnicity solely through a racial lens, or are there cultural and political issues as well?  I can't answer that.

mbw

• TTTundra Law 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2008, 09:44:56 AM »
yes, $499 max on 1/4 scholarships allowed.

;D

$Bill

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2008, 09:45:06 AM »
Bury My Soul At Wounded Knee was enough to make me sympathetic to the plight of the native americans, and I am 1/32 Micmac.  No need to get offended about my peoples fight with firewater.

Edit: It may be 1/64

« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2008, 09:54:45 AM »
Bury My Soul At Wounded Knee was enough to make me sympathetic to the plight of the native americans, and I am 1/32 Micmac.  No need to get offended about my peoples fight with firewater.

What's your problem?  I thought you were cool...

mbw

• TTTundra Law 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2008, 10:01:05 AM »

Canadian or Maine?  Chief Phillips is a long-time friend of mine, and I have Micmac, Maliseet and Penobscot ancestors as well.  Are you enrolled?  ABoM does not have a BQ requirement.

However, having an Indian ancestor is NOT the same as being NDN, no matter whether or not you know (or don't know) your BQ.  Unless you're NDN, making that "joke" isn't appropriate, as you're essentially saying that being an alcoholic is criteria for being NDN, feeding into the worst stereotypes used against us.  They're not "your people" unless they claim you as one of their own.  Doesn't work the other way around.

« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2008, 10:02:01 AM »
What is NDN?

mbw

• TTTundra Law 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2008, 10:08:38 AM »
What is NDN?

Say the letters out loud  ;D.  It's mostly used by those of us who are sick of the Native American/American Indian dustup.

« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2008, 10:09:19 AM »
What is NDN?

Say the letters out loud  ;D.  It's mostly used by those of us who are sick of the Native American/American Indian dustup.

oh hehe

$Bill

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2008, 11:18:38 AM »

Canadian or Maine?  Chief Phillips is a long-time friend of mine, and I have Micmac, Maliseet and Penobscot ancestors as well.  Are you enrolled?  ABoM does not have a BQ requirement.

However, having an Indian ancestor is NOT the same as being NDN, no matter whether or not you know (or don't know) your BQ.  Unless you're NDN, making that "joke" isn't appropriate, as you're essentially saying that being an alcoholic is criteria for being NDN, feeding into the worst stereotypes used against us.  They're not "your people" unless they claim you as one of their own.  Doesn't work the other way around.

Nova Scotian actually.  Maternal great grandmother on fathers side. The fact is, native americans have overcome enough and are beginning to profit, making a joke that really isnt a big deal in this day and age isnt something you should get upset about..

I really have to say get over it, because I'm also a drunk irishman, and a greasy wop