Law School Discussion

How much does it take to be a URM? 1/4? 1/8? 1/16?

clairel

• UChicago 3L
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: How much does it take to be a URM? 1/4? 1/8? 1/16?
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2008, 09:27:44 PM »
Just to add some flippancy to a very serious thread, I'm a direct descendant of Pocahontas and John Rolfe. What does that make me?? :) :)

so am i, buddy. it makes me still caucasian, but makes for good "what famous person are you related to" dinner conversation with law firms.

Steve Jones

• Dir of Admissions, Florida Coastal School of Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2008, 06:55:06 AM »
Just to add some flippancy to a very serious thread, I'm a direct descendant of Pocahontas and John Rolfe. What does that make me?? :) :)

That post would answer the question, "How much does it take to be a racist?"

$Bill

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2008, 07:02:17 AM »

Question: Do you live in a Teepee or wigwam.

mbw

• TTTundra Law 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2008, 07:35:18 AM »

Powhatans lived in neither.  They lived in lodges.

Martin Prince, Jr.

• Excelsior!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2008, 08:36:30 AM »

Does it work in my favor or against that I haven't seen Disney's Pocahontas, or that movie from a year or two ago "New World"?

mbw

• TTTundra Law 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2008, 08:52:14 AM »

Does it work in my favor or against that I haven't seen Disney's Pocahontas, or that movie from a year or two ago "New World"?

Has no impact (too widely available, so no actual effort necessary.)  On the other hand, have you seen Smoke Signals?  Naturally Native?  Read anything from Vine Deloria?  Used a bow and arrow to hunt bison?  Built a sweat lodge with only a stone knife?  Designed a new line of petroglyphs?  These are questions from the "Are you NDN enough?" questionnaire I received recently from the BIA.

« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2008, 08:58:46 AM »
I've seen Smoke Signals and read Lakota Woman.  ;D

$Bill

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2008, 09:10:22 AM »
Question: Do you have a problem with the "firewater"

Martin Prince, Jr.

• Excelsior!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2008, 09:24:22 AM »

Has no impact (too widely available, so no actual effort necessary.)  On the other hand, have you seen Smoke Signals?  Naturally Native?  Read anything from Vine Deloria?  Used a bow and arrow to hunt bison?  Built a sweat lodge with only a stone knife?  Designed a new line of petroglyphs?  These are questions from the "Are you NDN enough?" questionnaire I received recently from the BIA.

I must admit to having done none of this. I have read Revenge of the Pequots and Without Reservation though, so I know that, like Skip Hayward, it's never too late to start ;)

To get back on topic though, my fiancee is 1/4 Hispanic, through the paternal grandfather, thus she posesses the Spanish surname, but she does not identify with her homeland at all (beyond going there once on vacation), does not speak Spanish, does not claim it on government documents, etc. Her sister is similar on all counts, only she took an Hispanic Scholarship at her Uni. Was she wrong to have done so? Does it make a difference that the scholly was a small one (only 500 dollars)?

« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2008, 09:29:42 AM »
yes, $499 max on 1/4 scholarships allowed.

obviously there isn't a clear answer in that situation.