Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What should I do??  (Read 1666 times)

laurenac

• View Profile
    • Email
What should I do??
« on: April 23, 2008, 11:33:13 PM »
I didn't decide I was even interested in law school until this past Fall. So I took the LSAT in December and made a 153. My total committed study time was probably around 3 hours total. This was also in the midst of studying for exams, working 25 hours a week, and recently having Mono.

I waited until right before apps were due to submit. I have been accepted to Mercer, UALR, and waitlisted for Samford. Obviously, I am leaning towards Mercer and Samford. UALR was safety.

My question is this: Should I not start school this year, retake the LSAT with proper study prep, classes, etc. and hopefully get an improved score? If I did this, I would definitely want to score at least 160+ (preferrably 165+). Would this be possible given my starting score and new committment to prep?

I am not interested in big law, but do want to make my 3 year committment to law school and all that $$$ worthwhile. should I take the year to attempt the LSAT again and reapply? Or, should I go ahead with attending Mercer and Samford, work my a$$ (get in top 10-15% class) off in the hopes of getting a scholarship or transferring out to a higher ranked school?

Also, has anyone here participated in Law Preview before beginning 1L? Is it worth it?

Please Help!

LHL

• V
    • View Profile
Re: What should I do??
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 05:51:04 AM »
If I were in your shoes, I would definitely retake the LSAT and reapply.  If you can afford to take one of the prep courses (Testmasters or Powerscore), do so.  Improving to a 160+ should get you into significantly better schools and maybe even scholarship money somewhere which given how expensive law school is, you should really take into consideration.
I hate this limbo!

laurenac

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2008, 12:15:41 PM »
Smells funny? Hmm...I can see how one would assume that because I only devoted 3 hrs of study time to the LSAT that it is difficult to imagine putting in the required hours needed to succeed in law school. However, everything I related is the truth and I am honestly looking for help.

Maybe I did not relate my question very well. What I am asking is if it is reasonable to take a year after graduating to study for the LSAT to better my chances for a higher ranked school, or if my time and money would be better spent going ahead with my acceptance to Mercer?

just dot

• Sr. Citizen
  • I just want to be wonderful.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2008, 12:25:21 PM »
I think a lot of people are reluctant to answer this because it is a very personal decision.  Can you raise your LSAT score if you put some effort into studying?  Probably.  Will this make a huge difference in the schools you apply to and are eventually accepted to?  I don't know.  Would it?

A lot of people take a year off;  It isn't that big of a deal.  You could get a job at a law firm during that time and gain some law-related work experience to put on your resume.  It is really your call if you want to do that or not.  If you're happy attending Mercer, go for it.  I wouldn't count on making top 10-15% and transferring, though.  That's a bad plan because you can't predict how well you will take to the material or how you will do on the exams.  There are a lot of very smart people at law school, and conventional wisdom says that simply being smart and studying a lot aren't always enough.  If you wouldn't be happy at Mercer for the full 3 years, re-take the LSAT and try to start at a school you would be happy attending for the full 3 years.  If you're happy with Mercer, or are absolutely confident in your ability to transfer up, then go for it now. 

We can't really tell you what to do because we don't know you or the full situation.  Also, this isn't a case of a clear-cut correct choice.  TCR is whatever is best for you.
To put it bluntly, I seem to have a whole superstructure with no foundation. But I`m working on the foundation.

laurenac

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2008, 03:35:32 PM »
Wow..I do have the extreme ups and downs; as for the bouncing around, more likely to be staring off into space. I procrastinate all the time, do things at the absolute last minute, and do the bare minimum to achieve whatever it is I want at the time. Of course, what I think I want could change the next week, day, hour.....Definitely cannot study for more than 30 min at a time with multiple breaks.

ADD/ADHD? Never really considered it...Is it really even worth going to get evaluated?

laurenac

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2008, 08:26:05 PM »
Do you speak from experience?

To answer your questions: Yes...to everything. I have always waited until right before due time to finish everything. It has always seemed to work pretty well for me...maybe I am not exactly performing up to my full potential.

So, do you honestly think that my time, money, etc. would be better spent on waiting a year to apply after actually taking the time needed for the LSAT? I am paranoid that my score may not improve even after all that time...

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • AOL Instant Messenger - EarlCat78
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2008, 11:10:36 PM »
You could get a job at a law firm during that time and gain some law-related work experience to put on your resume.

Don't do this.  People who work in law-related fields have a hard time standing out in the application process.  Do something unique that will set you apart from the crowd.  There's plenty of time to learn about law during law school.

As for waiting a year and redoing the LSAT, I think its a fine idea.  If you truly hit 150+ cold, then you have the potential with several months of study of hitting a VERY good score.  And even if you don't want to do big law or academia or supreme court clerkships, you can save a lot of money (spelled scholarships) by showing a better LSAT score.

laurenac

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2008, 11:34:23 PM »
You could get a job at a law firm during that time and gain some law-related work experience to put on your resume.

Don't do this.  People who work in law-related fields have a hard time standing out in the application process.  Do something unique that will set you apart from the crowd.  There's plenty of time to learn about law during law school.

As for waiting a year and redoing the LSAT, I think its a fine idea.  If you truly hit 150+ cold, then you have the potential with several months of study of hitting a VERY good score.  And even if you don't want to do big law or academia or supreme court clerkships, you can save a lot of money (spelled scholarships) by showing a better LSAT score.

D@mn....I knew I should've tried out for American Idol.  ;)

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • AOL Instant Messenger - EarlCat78
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2008, 03:46:35 PM »
joining the circus = auto admit

laurenac

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2008, 12:52:10 AM »
non-lawyer working at firm=filing (freaking paper cuts)