Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Looking for some law student volunteers to help me out.  (Read 2148 times)

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for some law student volunteers to help me out.
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2008, 04:06:40 PM »
Oh, I left out earlier: I also don't take class notes. 

Anyway, the casebooks are specifically written so that you have to divine the rules from the cases.  Useful skill.  But they also include secondary rules in the cases, but sometimes those are outdated or minority rules and you don't get the context for it.  They also don't tell you when the rule would be applied in a completely different way under different circumstances.  Casebooks are made to create and perpetuate confusion.  The Restatements are written to make things clear.

My professors are meant to make things clearer :)  To each his own though, everyone learns differently. I think that is the key to first year, for the OP, is just figuring out what works out for you as an individual. 

Harpua76

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2008, 04:16:21 PM »
Hi,

I would be happy to help out. I am a second year and found, like many others, first year to be a bit of a change but not extremely difficult. I also was 5 years out of school and was used to working long hours.

I found second year much more stressful, at least fall semester due to going through early interview week and OCI while managing classes that were more difficult. It may depend on the city. In NYC there are so many law firms OCI was like one giant maze, at least to me.

plex

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2008, 03:27:18 AM »
The ONLY thing that made 1L hard, at all, was legal writing. It especially didn't help that I will likely never use anything that was being shoved down our throats in that class.

Finding out the proper format for a final paper just a week before it was due for a writing style you have little experience with, in addition to mounds of the most idiotic busy work throughout the semester beforehand...not my idea of fun.

Astro

• LSD Obsessed
  • Happy birthday goalie!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2008, 03:56:06 AM »
The ONLY thing that made 1L hard, at all, was legal writing. It especially didn't help that I will likely never use anything that was being shoved down our throats in that class.

Finding out the proper format for a final paper for a writing style you have little experience with, in addition to mounds of the most idiotic busy work throughout the semester beforehand...not my idea of fun.

Was yours graded, scaled, and a full-year course?
J, if you didn't bring enough penis for everyone, you shouldn't have brought any penis at all. 

plex

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2008, 05:28:39 AM »
All the above

Astro

• LSD Obsessed
  • Happy birthday goalie!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2008, 06:02:32 AM »
All the above

Then I commiserate.
J, if you didn't bring enough penis for everyone, you shouldn't have brought any penis at all. 

CRDFNSKY

• NEEERDSSS!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2008, 02:01:43 PM »
Plex. I'm dying to know what you were taught in legal research and writing that you think you will likely never use.

plex

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2008, 04:48:42 PM »
I am going into IP, most likely prosecution. You never have to write a memo or a brief in IP prosecution...ever. It is a completely different style of writing actually.

In addition, going over a bunch of useless crap before finally actually showing someone the format for a brief just one week before it is due, is not exactly my definition of a useful learning experience. Sure, things can have short due dates in real practice, but you are given some space when you are first learning them and are shown the templates right off the bat.