Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Looking for some law student volunteers to help me out.  (Read 2183 times)

K?

• Sr. Citizen
  • Do You Believe Her
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for some law student volunteers to help me out.
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2008, 07:34:49 PM »
Good stuff...any of you law students willing to answer a few questions if I were to send them to you?  Pleeease?

:)
B < PL

CRDFNSKY

• NEEERDSSS!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2008, 02:00:16 AM »
I will. When do you need the answers? I'm in the middle of exams right now, but I'm done on Friday.

goaliechica

• LSD Obsessed
  • It's only forever - not long at all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2008, 02:01:45 AM »
Good stuff...any of you law students willing to answer a few questions if I were to send them to you?  Pleeease?

I will if you ask specific questions. I'm not coherent enough to come up with my own stuff right now.
Quote from: Earthbound SNES
Get a sense of humor, Susan B. Anthony!
Quote from: dashrashi
I'm going to cut a female dog. With a knife with a brown handle, natch.
Quote from: Elephant Lee
Don't judge me. You've not had my life.

SCK2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2008, 02:24:15 AM »
Law school is much easier than working a real job. 

The people who think law school sucks are the people who read the cases, brief the cases, and read the cases again before class; work on their outlines for months; and who think that the best way to get better grades is just to study harder.

I hope you include our perspective for journalistic integrity. :)  Maybe you could bust the myth of 1L?

Is there a key to studying more effectively then?  In other words, how can one avoid doing all of this and still get the grades (w/o being innately brilliant)?
Honorable Mention/All-Valley Tournament

goaliechica

• LSD Obsessed
  • It's only forever - not long at all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2008, 02:43:43 AM »
Law school is much easier than working a real job. 

The people who think law school sucks are the people who read the cases, brief the cases, and read the cases again before class; work on their outlines for months; and who think that the best way to get better grades is just to study harder.

I hope you include our perspective for journalistic integrity. :)  Maybe you could bust the myth of 1L?

Is there a key to studying more effectively then?  In other words, how can one avoid doing all of this and still get the grades (w/o being innately brilliant)?

Don't read the cases twice?  :D
Quote from: Earthbound SNES
Get a sense of humor, Susan B. Anthony!
Quote from: dashrashi
I'm going to cut a female dog. With a knife with a brown handle, natch.
Quote from: Elephant Lee
Don't judge me. You've not had my life.

Astro

• LSD Obsessed
  • Happy birthday goalie!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2008, 03:23:17 AM »
Law school is really pretty simple.  It's the intangibles that can make or break it.  OP can PM me for specifics if s/he likes.
J, if you didn't bring enough penis for everyone, you shouldn't have brought any penis at all. 

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2008, 08:35:59 AM »

feel free. cant guarantee ill get back to you immediately (finals week/after finals celebration), but ill try my best.

SCK2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2008, 11:32:43 AM »

I don't know if I'm innately brilliant or not, but I also think most of the at my school are innately brilliant.  There's gotta be something I'm doing to beat them out...  Some people will disagree with my method, and that's OK.  This is just what works for me.

I read the cases once.  I usually underline/highlight as I read to help me pay attention, but next semester I think it'll be more efficient to read the case and then underline one or two key lines.  (Sometimes you don't know what they are until you get to the end of the case.)

I read the "notes" in the book even if they aren't assigned -- usually they're more important than some of the cases.  The notes are usually what tells you if it's a majority/minority rule, and let you know some applications and alternatives. 

I briefed for a week or two to practice doing it, but some people are very burned out by exams because they've wasted time memorizing and briefing fact patterns and cases that are overruled...

I only prepare for exams in the 3-4 reading days we have before each one.  Here's what I do in those 3-4 days:

I do some reading in the Restatements before exams.  Usually the cases you've read are cited in that and the comments and illustrations include reasoning, variations on the rule, and application.  I think maybe only one of my professors has ever even mentioned the Restatements.  (The books have, but usually only include a few lines.)  But anyway, it helps on exams. 

For particularly "wonky" profs, I read one or two of their most recent papers.   

I do not work through endless hypos.  The answer is usually "probably" or "probably not," and that's the least important part usually.  You'll be able to answer most of the variations your prof can come up with in exams if you've read the Illustrations in the Restatements and the notes.  (I also go look up cases that are cited in the books sometimes.)   

I do not really take practice exams; I took two last semester.  For me, an inefficient way to spend 3 hours. 

I typically spend a part of 3 days on an outline, and I'm planning on cutting that down to one or two for just a barebones "outline."  I think I write exams well (whether that means scribbling half sentences because the prof grades on a "catch the points!" method or whether it means writing some brilliant organized essay because the prof grades on a "Hm, that sounded good!" method.)

And I don't stay up late or stress out preparing.

I like the part about not reading the cases twice (duh)...

But don't you get bored with all of this free time on your hands YBR?

Its going to be interesting, I think, developing a system that works for me personally but hearing what everyone else does is very helpful...
Honorable Mention/All-Valley Tournament

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2008, 12:02:45 PM »
Reading the restatements when your prof doesn't cover them *can* be helpful because they can be good sources of examples of the rules at work.

Be very careful not to get sidetracked into topics your prof never discussed.  One person in my section did this - he thought he was being pretty crafty by going to the restatements and law review articles to read up on things we discussed in classed; he focused on stuff he found interesting, but not on what our professor emphasized.  He went way outside of class topics and discussion, and performed dismally on exams because the professor gave 0 points for topics not taught.

So if you go outside of course materials, just be sure you stay within the topics discussed in class.

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2008, 03:54:11 PM »
who reads anything that isnt required for class?  that is too much work in my opinion.

There is never a need to do more then just read the required readings, take class notes, and outline.  Do that and you are ahead of at least 1/3 of the class. 

and, I call BS on people having lives outside of law school :)