Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Looking for some law student volunteers to help me out.  (Read 2158 times)

K?

• Sr. Citizen
  • Do You Believe Her
    • View Profile
Looking for some law student volunteers to help me out.
« on: April 23, 2008, 04:00:09 PM »
So, for my final story as a journalism undergrad, Iím writing about 1L year, the difficulties, etc.  Basically, itís to explore a bit  more deeply the conventional wisdom that 1L year is the worst year possible.  I know, the idea sounds a bit lame and clichť (also vague), but reallyÖI just want to do it and graduate.

Anyways, Iím looking to find a few volunteers to be sources.  Iíd like perspective from 1Ls, 2Ls and 3Ls, so anyone who has a good story or who just wants to help out please PM me and or drop a post and Iíll get to you with more details.

I know this is a busy time for you all, but I promise it wonít take too much of your time and it would be an incredible help.

Thanks!
B < PL

Jihad_Jesus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for some law student volunteers to help me out.
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2008, 04:06:51 PM »
I'm a 1L. It is not hard or difficult. All you have to do is sit in a chair and read.
"I would make it my business to be a third wheel."

mqt

• Sr. Citizen
  • cellar door
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2008, 12:16:10 AM »
I'm a 1L. It is not hard or difficult. All you have to do is sit in a chair and read.

Pretty much.  But everyone loves to think they are doing the hardest thing in the world.  Worst year possible?  Hardly.  After being in Iraq for a year, I don't see a reason to get stressed out at law school considering that no one is trying to kill me (In a literal, put me in a coffin kind of way, not just "kill" me with work).  Oh, but what about the curve and class rank thing, you ask?  Well, most UG institutions that I'm aware of also rank their student bodies.  It's just that those in law school have pretty much never been below the first quartile (or better) in anything in their lives (which is why they got into law school), and now, 3/4's of them are....so they freak out.  Again, though, see the part about not having people regularly trying to kill you, and it puts it all in perspective.  Law school is a nice break.  Life's good...at least I'm not dead, brain-damaged, or limbless. 

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2008, 08:48:48 AM »
law school is really hard your first year, and by hard i mean really boring.  you get all excited cause you feel like you are learning, then a month later it loses its appeal and you dont give a sh*t any more.  only, at that point, you already paid for tuition, so you figure you have no option but to stick it out even though the only thing more boring you have ever done in your life was that dumb blonde in undergrad.

dukedogalley

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2008, 09:59:57 AM »
I agree that law school is much more interesting and relaxed than a fulltime job...however, the three weeks before finals really do suck.

CRDFNSKY

• NEEERDSSS!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2008, 11:37:51 AM »
The only really tough thing about the first year, and law school in general, is the sheer amount of information. It's like taking a drink from a fire hose. It is true that pretty much all you do is read and write. But, it's not as hard as everybody wants to make it out to be. Law students have a martyr mentality.   

1L is just scary because it's like walking around in a pitch dark room. You don't really know what's going on. Everything is brand new. The expectations are higher than undergrad, and you have little or no opportunities to receive grades as a benchmark for how your adjusting. Plus, people are gun shy to begin with because they have expectations based on all the popular beliefs (which are half-truths at best) about the first year.

I thought my second year was harder than the first. 2L was just more work. The reading assignments were longer, the writing assignments were more complex, and the professors expected more because they knew we knew a few things at that point. The upside, though, is you begin seeing the same concepts repeatedly, so it gets hammered in your brain.

Law school in general is really not quite like people think it is. It's really just alot of hype.

jsb221

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2008, 12:24:07 PM »
My 1L year was nothing like I expected. I heard all the horror stories and was expecting the worst. Living it, not so bad.

Jihad_Jesus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2008, 12:44:46 PM »
I bet law school was legitimately difficult in the era before Westalaw & Lexis Nexis. I imagine writing briefs would involve overnight stays in the library, now you can complete the research in a couple of minutes.

I can also say that I managed to stay engaged in the material from the start. I never did get into contracts or civ pro, but mostly because the teachers sucked for those and I ended up having to learn it all on my own.

The people that tend to have the biggest problems are the people that come straight from undergrad, have never worked a day in their lives, and come in expecting it to be the most difficult thing they've ever done. In these cases it probably is the most difficult thing they've ever done because they've never done anything difficult. Many of these people also have warped expectations of what law school is and what the law in particular is. Much of the law (see Contracts, Corporations, Taxes, Property, etc.) is pretty f-ing boring when you get down to it. 

Moral of the story: you are what you eat. 

"I would make it my business to be a third wheel."

StevePirates

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • JollyLawger
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2008, 12:48:51 PM »
I've read about most of the 1L subjects (e.g., Glannon) and found them extremely interesting, especially Torts and CrimLaw.  Should I worry?

Nope, there are a lot of people in law school just like you.  Most of them wind up getting a fun nickname, like gunner or whatever.

TheReasonableMan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2008, 03:40:47 PM »
"I've read about most of the 1L subjects (e.g., Glannon) and found them extremely interesting, especially Torts and CrimLaw.  Should I worry?"

First, don't let the snobbery around here get to you.  The fact that you have done some reading, learned a bit and confirmed your interest is a good thing.  Many people come into LS with little or no actual interest in law, and many of those people end up hating every minute of it. Reading ahead is not likely to give you an advantage come September, but it's good to know that you're interested in what you're getting into.

That being said, there will be a difference between the fun and interesting stuff that you pick up on your own time, and the stuff that you will just have to slog through for your classes.  You spend a lot of time reading the opinions of judges that are not very effective, clear or concise writers and you will quickly learn that picking apart the nuances requires a more careful, slower reading approach (and a lot of notes in the margins).  In your second semester, after the shine wears off, the 25 page con law case is simply not likely to get your heart racing.   

Aside from the level of tedium, 1L is by no means as horrifying or terrifying as some would lead you to believe. The time commitment for effective reading and studying is considerably less than most full time professional jobs.  It's just a matter of grinding through it and playing all of their silly games.  The curve takes care of the rest.