Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Latino/as interested in top law schools  (Read 17439 times)

Penn263

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
To whom much is given, much is expected.

JDat45

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Hispanics interested in top law schools
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2009, 10:29:21 PM »
Why do they have to "message you", this is a public forum....that sounds solicitous...IJS... :P

Penn263

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2009, 12:31:02 PM »
Why do they have to "message you", this is a public forum....that sounds solicitous...IJS... :P

Because I give out my email and phone number to help people if they want to get in touch, and that's not something I'd post here.

MCB

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2009, 10:00:09 PM »
Hi, I'm a Hispanic male who attends a top 5 University/College with a 3.3 GPA, and from what it looks like, I will be around the 163-167 LSAT range. I am first generation college (not sure whether that holds any significance when applying) and am also a varsity athlete at school. Do I have any shot at say UT Austin, UVA, or any other T14 law school? Thanks.

I'm not an under represented minority (URM), but from what I have seen on lawschoolnumbers.com and anecdotally, I'd say you have a very solid shot at the T14 with a 3.3 and a 167.  Maybe even top 10.  URM status can be a huge admissions boost. 
USD 2L

AnnMary

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2009, 08:43:52 AM »
Hello everyone!!

My name is Ann, and I am a latina interested in any law school that I will accept me as I have lost the hope of attending my school of preference.  I currently hold a cum 3.0 GPA, BUT I recently calculated the LSDAS and my GPA went down to a 2.23!!!  I am getting ready to finish with a BA if Criminal Justice with a minor in Homeland Security, I have no extracurricular activities as of yet, I have a gorgeous 9 year old son, Oh and while living in Virginia I was fined for public intoxication, therefore I also have a misdemeanor for having 2 beers, I work for a large Bank and have been in banking since the age of 19.  I also worked as  real estate agent in New York for two years before returning to banking.  I have always worked full-time and I have always been the primary financial support for myself and my son. I have not taken the LSAT but I am studying and hope to do so in June.  I would love to attend New York Law School, Hofstra or Pace Law...

What are my chances??

Please Help!!!

coquita

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2010, 11:53:54 PM »
Ann Mary,
I might get slaughtered for saying this but here goes. I am a Latina who just graduated from law school in the top 12% of my class. This is my advice. If you are the sole breadwinner for your son, do NOT go to law school unless you get a full scholarship. Otherwise you could be putting your financial situation for your family at risk. I graduated from undergrad with honors, and graduated from a strong regional school (tier I). However, given the bad job market, I am unemployed and so is everyone else I know who graduated from my school. Students that worked for federal judges and were editor of law review are still looking for jobs. With your son I don't know if that's a risk you want to take right now, at least until the legal market improves if ever. I know this seems harsh but I am just trying to give some warning from the other side, I wish I had gotten this advice. Another option is to pay your way through while going to school part-time.

Now for getting in, you may have problems with this. You may have to disclose the misdemeanor on your law school applications, which may be a barrier. Also with your low GPA, it seems like it will be hard for you to get into anything but a lower ranked school even if you get high LSAT scores. And as I said before, people from strong schools are unemployed in this market. Also be aware that if you do get in school, as soon as you get in, you should talk to someone at your state bar to see if you will have any problems with their moral character requirements because of your misdemeanor. I know someone who got into my school in CA, passed the bar, and then was denied admission to the bar because of their convictions. Let me know what you think...and good luck regardless of what you decide to do!

JDat45

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2010, 03:45:21 PM »

But understand, your responses could help the general population on the board, not just Hispanics. You could always PM the person your info... :P

Penn263

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2010, 01:27:49 PM »
Still here to help!

ricmiami

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2010, 09:24:19 PM »
I am helping my wife with her Law School applications and trying to help her decide what to do. She initially wanted to go to NYU or UVA but I am doubting she will make it. This is her situation:

- She's hispanic
- 3.53 degree GPA (3.45 according to LSDAS) and graduated Cum Laude. Her cumulative LSDAS GPA is 3.29, but I believe there is a mistake... should end up being 3.33.
- Scoring around 150 on practice tests and her biggest problem is time. She can answer 70+% of the questions correctly, but she's not able to finish all questions yet. She's working very hard on it and is registered to take the LSAT on December 11.
- 5+ years of experience as a paralegal / legal assistant
- A bunch of obstacles to mention to Admissions Committees:
  1. Migrated to the US in 2001 and her native language is not English which impacted her grades on the first semesters.
  2. Had to work full time and study part time due to economic hardship... heavily supported and continue to support her parents and siblings financially
  3. Mother had cancer. She was always by her side during chemotherapy, radiotherapy and surgical procedures. This impacted a bit her grades in one/two semesters

I am telling her she should aim for a 155 in the LSAT and encouraging her to apply to UM (University of Miami), UF (Florida), FSU, Wake Forest, BC and BU. We plan to stay in the Miami/Fort Lauderdale area in the long term, so I think UF and UM are the best choices.

What do you guys think? Do you think UMiami would take her with a 150 LSAT, considering all the obstacles she has overcome? I think UF (Florida) is going to be tough, almost impossible.
Should she mention she's consistently getting 75% of the questions right, but that she has trouble being as fast as native english speakers? Not sure if this sounds like an excuse.

If she does not score higher than 150 on the last practice LSATs, she is planning on waiting another year instead of taking the February LSAT. How does this sound? Any help is highly appreciated!

ricmiami

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2010, 08:10:10 PM »
Comments anybody? :)