Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Latino/as interested in top law schools  (Read 18426 times)

Penn263

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Latino/as interested in top law schools
« on: April 23, 2008, 03:03:41 PM »
If you identify yourself as a Latino/a, feel free to message me to ask questions or just to hear about tips for getting into a prestigious law school without having "perfect" credentials.

(I prefer for you to message me rather than post a question on here because I get e-mail notifications when I receive personal messages.)
To whom much is given, much is expected.

CPAcroPilot

• View Profile
Re: Hispanic applicants interested in Tier 1 schools...
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 05:30:29 AM »
Did you go to any of the LSAC sponsered law forums?  If yes, what did you do there, learn, questions asked etc.  I am signed up for the one coming up next week in Houston and will be traveling there for this.  What prep did you do for the LSAT, time spent, material used etc.  I have not taken the LSAT but already started preping in Dec. and just finished a Prep class.  I will be taking the June test and be applying in the 2009 cycle.  Thanks

Penn263

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2009, 08:01:56 PM »
If you can go to the LSAC sponsored forums, then go. But I think ideally you should talk to a pre-law advisor at your undergrad school, or do the research yourself. Ask yourself what region you to practice law? What type of law? And look on LSAC to see how your numbers match up to those of the admitted students. Then apply to schools accordingly.

To prepare for the LSAT. Take a prep course well in advanced. Message me if you are Latino/a and not able to afford a prep course, I can tell you what to do in those circumstance. Generally the more practice the better, but don't study the week of the test, give yourself a break. Studying so close to the exam will just increase anxiety when you stumble on a question you don't know how to approach solving.

Message me with other questions.

stone9939

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2009, 11:15:37 PM »
Counter-intuitively, the higher the percentage of students of your ethnicity attending the school, the harder it may be to get accepted since there may be a large pool of applicants from your background to choose from, thus making it more competitive for you.

How do you know this is true?

latinlord

• Sr. Citizen
  • ME... Litigating at the Indiana State Court house!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - latinlord
    • View Profile
    • myspace profile, "come and say hello"
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2009, 01:55:05 PM »
I just thought i'd offer my assitance also... Although i'm a Tier II law student...haha

Great job BCL!

I always like to see more latinos in law school!!
Graduated from Indiana Law - Indianapolis!!
Was a 3rd year Visiting Student at Villanova University School of Law.
Graduated from Temple University Beasley School of Law - LL.M in Trial Advocacy Candidate 2010
 Published by Chicano/Latino Law Review of UCLA LAW. & I'm a Licensed Esq. NOW!

bm408

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2009, 09:02:40 PM »
Hi, I'm a latina non-trad looking at law school. I will be finishing by BA within two years and am declaring my major this semester (Sociology or History). I had two bad terms that will bring my GPA to about 3.0-3.2 as long as I complete my next terms at a 3.5, which I have all except my baddies. What should I do to strengthen my application?

Penn263

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2009, 04:00:57 PM »
bump*

I'm still out here if anyone needs help of any sort. Send me a message and I will respond asap. Good Luck.

Jeff0620

• View Profile
Re: Hispanics interested in top law schools
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2009, 01:56:41 PM »
Hi, I'm a Hispanic male who attends a top 5 University/College with a 3.3 GPA, and from what it looks like, I will be around the 163-167 LSAT range. I am first generation college (not sure whether that holds any significance when applying) and am also a varsity athlete at school. Do I have any shot at say UT Austin, UVA, or any other T14 law school? Thanks.

Jeff0620

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2009, 01:58:11 PM »
Hi, I'm a Hispanic male who attends a top 5 University/College with a 3.3 GPA, and from what it looks like, I will be around the 163-167 LSAT range. I am first generation college (not sure whether that holds any significance when applying) and am also a varsity athlete at school. Do I have any shot at say UT Austin, UVA, or any other T14 law school? Thanks.

Penn263

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2009, 10:14:31 PM »

I can't remember if I replied to you via message, but just message me and we can talk more in depth.