Law School Discussion

Boston Legal vs. SCOTUS

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
Boston Legal vs. SCOTUS
« on: April 23, 2008, 11:02:43 AM »
Don't know if you guys caught this last night but I thought it was a great segment and a reality check to the SCOTUS on what is wrong with our politics and the judicial branch.

[BTW they did a good job casting the actors for this segment - they really look like the real 9]

BACKGROUND: James Spader's character is arguing in front of the US Supreme Court about the death penalty that the State of Louisiana is trying to impose upon his client, a mentally retarded black man who was wrongly convicted of raping a little girl.  And to top it off, the little girl in question did not die, so basically Louisiana is trying to give the death penalty to somebody who didn't even kill anybody.

Unfortunately when you appeal to the Supreme Court you can't argue the facts that came out at the trial court below so Spader's only hope is to argue that this law is unconstitutional:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=-GG7sj2APpc

Re: Boston Legal vs. SCOTUS
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2008, 12:05:30 PM »
Don't know if you guys caught this last night but I thought it was a great segment and a reality check to the SCOTUS on what is wrong with our politics and the judicial branch.

[BTW they did a good job casting the actors for this segment - they really look like the real 9]

BACKGROUND: James Spader's character is arguing in front of the US Supreme Court about the death penalty that the State of Louisiana is trying to impose upon his client, a mentally retarded black man who was wrongly convicted of raping a little girl.  And to top it off, the little girl in question did not die, so basically Louisiana is trying to give the death penalty to somebody who didn't even kill anybody.

Unfortunately when you appeal to the Supreme Court you can't argue the facts that came out at the trial court below so Spader's only hope is to argue that this law is unconstitutional:

I saw it last night. the funniest part is when denny crane told spader that he wanted him to make Justice Thomas speak. Then Spader got him to utter "hey!!" hilarious

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2008, 12:24:46 PM »

I saw it last night. the funniest part is when denny crane told spader that he wanted him to make Justice Thomas speak. Then Spader got him to utter "hey!!" hilarious

Right!   

My favorite quote:

"The Supreme Court was intended to be FREE and unadulterated by politics - it is now DOMINATED by it.  You're hand picked by Presidents with ideological agendas and of the two-dozen 5-4 decisions in your 2006-2007 term, 19 broke straight across ideological lines - That's Politics!!!"

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2008, 12:29:43 PM »
TV Scalia isn't quite as cool as Real Life Scalia, but still nicely done.  It really handled the fundamental Kennedy issues well.

A.

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2008, 01:52:21 PM »
Lol I caught this too.  I love Boston Legal.  Of course, no one would ever make that argument IRL, and Roberts certainly would not have tolerated it, but it was fun to watch nonetheless.  And the Clarence Thomas part was hilarious.

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2008, 03:02:30 PM »
Lol I caught this too.  I love Boston Legal.  Of course, no one would ever make that argument IRL, and Roberts certainly would not have tolerated it, but it was fun to watch nonetheless.  And the Clarence Thomas part was hilarious.

Hell, Roberts didn't even really let people talk for a minute w/o interrupting during moot court finals.

The CT part was hilarious.

The casting director for this ep deserves an Emmy..so does Spader.

I really need to get back into BL, I always forget about it. :(

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2008, 04:52:52 PM »
No doubt.  IRL You can't get a word in before you get interrupted by about 2 or 3 justices.  They woulda BEEN tore into him if that was the real deal.  He might have gotten half of that out, but def not the part where he went down the line and told each one of them off one by one.  LOL

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2008, 04:53:51 PM »
No doubt.  IRL You can't get a word in before you get interrupted by about 2 or 3 justices.  They woulda BEEN tore into him if that was the real deal.  He might have gotten half of that out, but def not the part where he went down the line and told each one of them off one by one.  LOL
I say a quarter, if that. LOL.

so did he win?  is this a 2 part eppy?

non parata est

• buh??
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2008, 05:36:36 PM »
Oh wow.  Ginsberg's appearance is spot on.

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2008, 06:00:04 PM »
Oh wow.  Ginsberg's appearance is spot on.

yah...she looked just like the portrait we have of her in the ls.