Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: New England/ Western New England  (Read 1216 times)

sahrunner86

• AOL Instant Messenger - SAHRunner86
    • View Profile
New England/ Western New England
« on: April 23, 2008, 12:47:17 AM »
I have been looking at the LSAC site at the Mass schools, and for "safe" options.. im probably planning on applying to New England and Western New England. While, New England is in boston and that location is preferable, Western New England is in Springfield. However, Western New England (according to LSAC) gives a median grant of $14,000 per year compared to New England's $3500 per year with very simillar tuition and living allowances. And, if I remember right from LSAC I believe the employment rate is higher for Western New England.

with a median grant of one third the cost of attendance, and an employment rate over 80% Western New England sounds like a good deal...

Does anyone else know about either or these schools? applied, visited, or attending???

nerdmeist

• dum dum dum dummm
    • AOL Instant Messenger - iexbeeonz
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: New England/ Western New England
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2008, 11:47:05 AM »
I applied to both of these schools (WNEC as a safety and NESL as a target, incase I decided to move to MA.)  I've since sent out letters declining their offer, but they did both offer me pretty decent money:

New England School of Law:  $20k yr.
Western New England College:  $21k yr.
(I don't remember the GPA requirements for either, sorry.)

From what I hear, WNEC is just barely accredited by the ABA.  NESL is a decent school, and I have a friend that is currently attending.  She doesn't really have any incredibly bad or good things to say about it, so I don't know what sort of advice I could relay to you. 

iamprov

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2008, 03:05:37 PM »
Go for NESL, unless you desire to work in western mass/NY capitol reigon/vermont.  I'd rather live in Boston.  Plus, have you been to Springfield?
Albany Law School Class of 2010

sahrunner86

• AOL Instant Messenger - SAHRunner86
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2008, 03:18:47 PM »
I have been to boston to visit before, but I have not yet visited springfield. From what I've heard is that its a moderately sized city but not as nice as boston.

iamprov

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2008, 01:41:17 PM »
At the same time, the grant does make a big difference.  COL in Springfield will be higher in Boston, no matter what COA says.  Debt is a huge handicap to doing what you want to do and being happy, so take that in mind.

Good Luck!
Albany Law School Class of 2010

SHolman08

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2008, 03:57:32 PM »
I received more info in the mail from WNEC, a brochure and a some info about the programs.. seems like a lot of scholarship funds available and a really well funded public interest program. They are finishing remodeling in fall 08 and it seems like a nice little community- doesnt seem like a competitive place. And from all the info together and the employment & bar stats it doesnt seem like a lot of other 4th tier schools, I think that graduates of this school have a very good chance of finding legal employment and passing the bar AND without a whole lot of debt compared to other schools within the same tier.