Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Wash U($$$$) vs. U Mich (loans)  (Read 1175 times)

craig08

• View Profile
Wash U($$$$) vs. U Mich (loans)
« on: April 22, 2008, 11:32:06 PM »
Finally decided to register after months of reading everyone's posts. Is a full ride at Wash U worth turning down for Michigan? I don't plan on going into the Public sector, but is the price difference really worth it?

UFBoldAsLove

• Sr. Citizen
  • Go Gators.
    • View Profile
Re: Wash U($$$$) vs. U Mich (loans)
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2008, 11:34:32 PM »
Finally decided to register after months of reading everyone's posts. Is a full ride at Wash U worth turning down for Michigan? I don't plan on going into the Public sector, but is the price difference really worth it?

Yes. I would only suggest taking the money if you had strong ties to St. Louis or were set on public interest.
Vandy 1L... really?

AmericanGunner

• Sr. Citizen
  • Huge soccer fan, obviously...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2008, 11:45:16 PM »
That's a tough one, and I'm going to WUSTL. Michigan is a big name in law. Is that name worth $150,000 grand? Is WUSTL's full ride worth dropping 12 or so points in USNWR ranking?

Or you could boil it down like this - massive debt or debt free? Full ride and then do whatever, or take out loans and then do biglaw or LRAP?

I wouldn't blame you for going to Michigan, At the same time, don't let the high-minded people on LSD tell you WUSTL wouldn't be a good choice - even at #19 you're still better off than people at 177 other law schools.
"Please stop using obscenities in front of these people, or I'll be forced to thrash you."

UFBoldAsLove

• Sr. Citizen
  • Go Gators.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2008, 11:47:49 PM »
That's a tough one, and I'm going to WUSTL. Michigan is a big name in law. Is that name worth $150,000 grand? Is WUSTL's full ride worth dropping 12 or so points in USNWR ranking?

Or you could boil it down like this - massive debt or debt free? Full ride and then do whatever, or take out loans and then do biglaw or LRAP?

I wouldn't blame you for going to Michigan, At the same time, don't let the high-minded people on LSD tell you WUSTL wouldn't be a good choice - even at #19 you're still better off than people at 177 other law schools.

Sorry if I sounded high-minded. I'm taking T20 $$$ over T10, I understand the OP's situation. I just got the impression he/she wanted Biglaw.
Vandy 1L... really?

AmericanGunner

• Sr. Citizen
  • Huge soccer fan, obviously...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2008, 12:01:06 AM »

Sorry if I sounded high-minded. I'm taking T20 $$$ over T10, I understand the OP's situation. I just got the impression he/she wanted Biglaw.

Wasn't calling you in particular high-minded. It's just an observation on some of the attitudes I see on lots of law school message boards. Besides, from a place like WUSTL or Vandy (or even Iowa), big law is still possible. It just won't come gift wrapped for you.

I do wonder about another thing - on a purely financial level, why don't employers take these kinds of things into account? I mean, it's a good business decision to go to a #15-20 for free vs. borrowing money to go to a #1-14. A #15-20 is still in the 90th percentile.
"Please stop using obscenities in front of these people, or I'll be forced to thrash you."

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2008, 12:09:20 AM »

Wasn't calling you in particular high-minded. It's just an observation on some of the attitudes I see on lots of law school message boards. Besides, from a place like WUSTL or Vandy (or even Iowa), big law is still possible. It just won't come gift wrapped for you.

I do wonder about another thing - on a purely financial level, why don't employers take these kinds of things into account? I mean, it's a good business decision to go to a #15-20 for free vs. borrowing money to go to a #1-14. A #15-20 is still in the 90th percentile.

why should they?  they don't ask you about what other schools you got into or how much money they gave you.  it's irrelevant at that stage.

OP, are you debt averse?  what do you want to do with your degree?  we need more info.
Columbia 3L

craig08

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2008, 12:19:05 AM »
 I am interested in private international and a slew of other things.  Potentially BigLaw in NY, maybe corporate work in MIA or working internationally, I'm not sure. I just don't want to close off any options. I think everyone is debt averse (to a degree). I realize that LS debt is normal, but I feel like I'm throwing away 120 grand, and I just want to make sure that if I were to go to Michigan over Wash U it would be a reasonable decision. In the end... i'm confused.

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2008, 12:32:02 AM »
I am interested in private international and a slew of other things.  Potentially BigLaw in NY, maybe corporate work in MIA or working internationally, I'm not sure. I just don't want to close off any options. I think everyone is debt averse (to a degree). I realize that LS debt is normal, but I feel like I'm throwing away 120 grand, and I just want to make sure that if I were to go to Michigan over Wash U it would be a reasonable decision. In the end... i'm confused.

well its tough.  bc you have a full ride, you only have to worry about COL debt which can be taken care of thru Fed loans.  however, if you end up in an undesirable protion of the class, your job opps may be affected in a way that it wouldn't be at the same ranking at Mich.  however, bc you aren't as pressed for loan payments it wouldn't be that bad.
Columbia 3L

du-can

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • lsn
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2008, 12:43:58 AM »
I think you could make a good case either way.  I'm in a similar situation and haven't made up my mind yet.  I think both would be good choices.

Have you visited both?

zar090

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2008, 01:36:59 AM »