Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: LAPTOPS... Best size for law school?  (Read 5661 times)

bucky42

• View Profile
Re: LAPTOPS... Best size for law school?
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2008, 12:09:57 AM »
yeah i know that the air is small. however, the computer i used throughout four years of undergrad was only 37 GB, and right now, I have filled it with 34 GB. So to me, even the Air with the 64 GB is going to seem huge. I have about 11 GB of music on my computer, and I'm not planning to tranfer very much of that. I have all my documents from high school through college on my computer now, and plan to only transfer a few things. Pictures is probably the biggest problem, b/c I do have 12 GB of them on my computer now and would like to transfer them b/c I like having them. So to me, I still think I will just have tons of space...?? How much space would Windows take up??  My mom told me I could get an external hard drive if I start to run out of space...I believe those run between 100 and 200 dollars...

Do you know anything about the difference between the air's 80 GB 4200-rpm PATA hard drive vs. the 64 GB solid-state drive? Obivously the size difference, but do you know what the other stuff means?

Any help you give is appreciated (or good links you know of, since you've been researching!)...I'm not completely computer illiterate, but my mom has always helped me do this stuff and she doesn't know much about apples...

SSDs are nice and fast, but aren't really something the average consumer needs. Not to mention the technology is fairly new and potential problems have yet to be vetted out.

greenie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2008, 12:10:21 AM »
12 inch Dell 700m!

Bob23

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2008, 01:08:06 AM »
Aside from the "cool" factor of no moving parts, the SSD in the Air isn't that useful to a consumer. The read times are faster, but it actually writes slower. I have an Air with the 80GB HDD. LOVE IT. I have a WD passport external HD (USB powered) that I keep all my "big" stuff on, and a "hackintosh" desktop at home (that I'm typing this on). I think the Air would make a fine primary computer, so long as you don't do heavy photo/video editing. The LCD is super-bright, and the large trackpad is great. Even though it's only 80gb, you can put make a 5gb Windows partition, which should be WAY more than enough to get Windows and Examsoft, etc. on there. I didn't buy the external Superdrive, because I have no use for it. I can't recall the last time I used a CD for anything. I have a 8gb Flash drive that I can copy programs/disc images to for installation. I can't say enough good things about mine. I'd recommend it to anyone who can swing the $1800.

Futballer

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2008, 01:11:39 AM »
The macbook air is absolutely terrible, it only "looks cool" thats about it. There are so many potential problems that can happen and it is extremely limited because of its size. Do yourself a favor and stay away from the Air if you really wanna get stuff done.
Ave Maria class of 2011
The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall.

wheretogo13

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2008, 01:41:51 AM »
Aside from the "cool" factor of no moving parts, the SSD in the Air isn't that useful to a consumer. The read times are faster, but it actually writes slower. I have an Air with the 80GB HDD. LOVE IT. I have a WD passport external HD (USB powered) that I keep all my "big" stuff on, and a "hackintosh" desktop at home (that I'm typing this on). I think the Air would make a fine primary computer, so long as you don't do heavy photo/video editing. The LCD is super-bright, and the large trackpad is great. Even though it's only 80gb, you can put make a 5gb Windows partition, which should be WAY more than enough to get Windows and Examsoft, etc. on there. I didn't buy the external Superdrive, because I have no use for it. I can't recall the last time I used a CD for anything. I have a 8gb Flash drive that I can copy programs/disc images to for installation. I can't say enough good things about mine. I'd recommend it to anyone who can swing the $1800.

thanks for the info. couple more questions i've come across reading more reviews...what has been your typical experience with battery life? let's say you're just surfing online, taking notes for class or something like that, and maybe listening to iTunes. i'm highly doubting it's going to be the 5 hours like they say...some reviewers were saying they were only getting 2.5 hours just with internet use...others were saying 4...

have you found the computer to be slow while multitasking? again, i'm not planning to do any heavy downloading of anything or big editing...just the simple stuff. I'm guessing these reviewers are doing more stuff than i even know how to do and that's why they see it as slow.

also some people, like one after you on the forum, say it's limited b/c of its size...but like i said my computer that i have used for all of college which also includes everything from high school is only 37 GB and I still only have used 34. I plan to transfer no more than 10 GB worth of junk from my old computer, so i absolutely cannot fathom running out of space because i will have no change in the way i use my computer...so I can't really see why size would be a problem for me???? i was planning to do that partitioning thing with windows if it ends up i need it for exams, which i most likely will. no clue how to do it but i'll figure that one out when i get to that point!!

one more question...it looks fragile, but i've heard it's actually just as good as anything else. obviously try not to drop it, step on it, etc. i mean, it's designed to be carried around...

THANKS a million!

Bob23

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2008, 09:52:11 AM »
Battery Life: I get 4hrs or so doing the things you mentioned. With no internet, it will get to 5hrs.

Multi-Tasking: No problems at all. I frequently have Word 2008, Mail, Firefox, Admium, iTunes, iCal, and Preview all open at the same time with no noticeable slowdown in performance.

The 80GB limitation is really an individual thing. I've got about 10gigs of music on mine and 10gigs of Photos. Other than that, It's all software. I also have a 5gb partition set aside for Windows. Right now I have 20gb Free on the main drive. I don't see any reason to have 120-150-200GB of HD space on a laptop, unless you have tons and tons of music and photos.

Sturdiness: I've found it to be very sturdy. It does "feel" a little fragile, but I think it's a psychological thing because of the weight/size. I mean, I wouldn't suggest dropping it, but for normal day to day use, it's very solid.

To the guy who claims it is "terrible", what are some of these "potential" problems and limits because of its size? The only real "potential" problem is battery replacement, and as long as you know Apple can do it in store, while you wait, for $130, there is no problem. It's about $40 more than buying a battery for a MacBook/Pro, but that's the price you pay. And extremely limited due to its size? That makes no sense at all, and you've offered nothing to back that up.

Remedialone

• Patriotism is the refuge of a scoundrel.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2008, 09:59:19 AM »

To the guy who claims it is "terrible", what are some of these "potential" problems and limits because of its size? The only real "potential" problem is battery replacement, and as long as you know Apple can do it in store, while you wait, for $130, there is no problem. It's about $40 more than buying a battery for a MacBook/Pro, but that's the price you pay. And extremely limited due to its size? That makes no sense at all, and you've offered nothing to back that up.

Not the guy but I would say that it's limitations would be the lack of a Disc Drive, slower processor, only two usb ports (one could be optimized with a plug in drive the other a mouse, and the printer we will need a usb hub for that) and no ethernet port, all that for just under $1800 (Removable disc drive extra).  Just to name a few.

OingoBoingo

• Sr. Citizen
  • Simply the best band from the 80's
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2008, 10:01:06 AM »
The answer to this question is "it depends." I have owed a 12 inch thinkpad and a 15 inch Macbook Pro so far. I miss my thinkpad's keyboard - I got so used to the "cramped" style that I often wish I could fuse it onto the Macbook Pro somehow. While my experience with a small laptop (actually it was the X41 Tablet) was mostly good, I have to recommend to the OP a larger screen, especially if you aren't using a Mac.

If people understood just how useful the "Spaces" feature in OS-X. there would be less law students considering anything else. Having your note taking program in one desktop space, your mail program in another, your calendar in other and so on not only helps you organize, but makes you feel more organized (perhaps two separate benefits). If you haven't seen it in action, I recommend going to an Apple store or Best Buy before you make a purchase. I mention it only because the reason why some people buy a larger screen is to "organize" themselves around the extra space. In a sense, choosing OS-X instead of Vista or XP gives you more options.

Oingo
"It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man."

Bob23

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2008, 12:18:11 PM »
How often do you really use the disc drive? I can't recall a time in the last 12 months that I've needed one, save for installing Leopard on my iBook. I will admit that the 1 USB port is somewhat of a limitation, but I've never had a problem. My external mouse is Bluetooth, my printer is wireless and I haven't used a wired internet connection in AGES. While they are "limits", they are ones that I would say that most people won't run into.

With regard to Spaces, I agree. It's a great option that allows for a slightly more distraction-free environment. I also LOVE expose and Dashboard. I was a hard-core PC user until 2005, then I bought an iBook and haven't looked back.

Remedialone

• Patriotism is the refuge of a scoundrel.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2008, 12:36:19 PM »
How often do you really use the disc drive? 

For clarification I am referring to DVD Roms as Disc Drives.  I use disc drives pretty frequently as a sys admin.  I am not certain of what current IPSEC protocol is but it used to be where WiFi was a HUGE no-no in government work and hospitals.  I know it is still an issue in many hospitals.  I am not knocking apple, I am debating purchasing a macbook for my lawschool laptop but my contention is that the air is severly limited as an everyday computer or laptop, it is awfully cute though.