Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Interested in working in Bangkok, Thailand  (Read 4609 times)

RockinJay

• View Profile
Interested in working in Bangkok, Thailand
« on: April 22, 2008, 04:15:09 PM »
I posted this question in another forum but not sure it was the right location.

Anyways, after living overseas for a while I am absolutely in love with Asia. I spoke with several Managing Partners at some of the biggest international law firms in Bangkok and they all informed me to attend a US law school.  Bangkok is booming (quiet, no jokes!) as many banks and corporations are setting up shop there with a steady 6-8% annual growth rate.

I would like to end up working in Bangkok (or even Hong Kong perhaps) for one of the major BigLaw firms out there.  Any thoughts from the LSD crowd?

themanwithnoname

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Interested in working in Bangkok, Thailand
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2008, 09:29:39 PM »
cant speak to Bangkok but there are lots of US firms and British firms with substantial Hong Kong offices. Are you ok doing transactional work?

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2008, 10:18:24 PM »
I posted this question in another forum but not sure it was the right location.

Bangkok is booming (quiet, no jokes!) as many banks and corporations are setting up shop there with a steady 6-8% annual growth rate.

Are you a sex tourist or thinking of becoming one permenantly? 

RockinJay

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2008, 10:44:24 PM »
I was expecting comments like yours so it doesn't annoy me at all and I won't even waste my time addressing it. 

For the other poster, yes, I have over 6 years of experience in fixed-income securities transactions ranging from tender option bonds to interest-rate Swaps.

themanwithnoname

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2008, 10:49:01 PM »
Are you committed to that kind of work? It occurs to me that one thing to do is find out who works at biglaw offices in bangkok (and my god does biglaw in bangkok sound hilarious) and, when looking for firms, make sure you specialize in something that is done in Bankok, b/c it occurs to me that the derivatives stuff you do might only be done in the major financial centers (NY London, Tokyo, Hong Kong). I don't know this for a fact, just speculating, but again, thats why I would check out what the partners in Bangkok offices specialize in.

RockinJay

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2008, 10:55:46 PM »
Yes, very committed.  I have spoken with several Managing Partners at some of the biggest law firms over there and they are all doing what I am here, but their clients are more HSBC, Standard Chartered, etc.  However, a major result of the growing Thai economy is that their banks are becoming major players within the entire Asian investment community.  I have seen Goldman, SocGen, Morgan and many other banks begin to tap into Thailand and other SE Asian markets.  And sadly, because of the major growth out there and the crappy situation here, Asian gains are basically subsidizing the enormous losses here in the US.  But that's another discussion :-) 

It's definitely an exciting region to be in.

themanwithnoname

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2008, 10:58:25 PM »
wow, very well informed. What do you need from us idiots on the internets exactly?

RockinJay

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2008, 11:07:44 PM »
I have definitely done my research but was hoping to find someone who is familiar with landing a summer gig or junior associate spot out there.  It is my understanding that most of the firms out there only accept law students between their 2nd and 3rd years, and then after graduation, I would have to sweat it out here at a US firm for a few years before making it out there with the same firm.  Was hoping to find someone who has already done it or knows someone else who has "reached the promise land."  HAHA! 

Every Western attorney I met out there (in both Bangkok and Hong Kong), whether at a law firm or in-house (those are some serious sweet jobs!), love it because they are not only making great $$$ but their personal lives are rich with happiness and balance.  My Chinese friend, who is in-house at Goldman in Hong Kong, flies to the beaches in Thailand, Indonesia or Vietnam for the weekend!  I advise anyone who has yet to trek all the way out there to do so someday and you'll truly understand what I am talking about.

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2008, 02:38:05 PM »
I have definitely done my research

I am sure you have.   ::)

RockinJay

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2008, 03:09:31 PM »
And scene......