Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Would like to work for BigLaw in Bangkok, Thailand  (Read 546 times)

RockinJay

• View Profile
Would like to work for BigLaw in Bangkok, Thailand
« on: April 22, 2008, 03:48:27 PM »
After living overseas for a while I am absolutely in love with Asia. I spoke with several Managing Partners at some of the biggest international law firms in Bangkok and they all informed me to attend a US law school.  Bangkok is booming (quiet, no jokes!) as many banks and corporations are setting up shop there with a steady 6-8% annual growth rate.

I would like to end up working in Bangkok (or even Hong Kong perhaps) for one of the major BigLaw firms out there.  Any thoughts from the LSD crowd? 

BlueGreen

• Sr. Citizen
  • [insert vague quote here]
    • View Profile
Re: Would like to work for BigLaw in Bangkok, Thailand
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2008, 09:27:01 PM »
that actually sounds fab. i'd love to work in SE asia myself--love the weather and the lifestyle.  ;D  haven't given it too much thought yet, tho.
HLS class of 2011
LSN

LineOfBestFit

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2008, 09:50:09 PM »
I'm quite fond of Asia myself. Bangkok is great, but have you lived there or just travelled? For me it's only been the former, but I can see how living there long term could be quite a drag (less so if you manage to position work place and dwelling on stops of the MRT and/or BTS).

Some schools have clubs for students wishing to practice (corporate) law in Asia. HLS is one of them.

RockinJay

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2008, 10:47:51 PM »
I lived in Bangkok for 4 months and it is really changed over the last two years.  Major construction, renovations, general infrastructure improvements while also seeing an amazing economic growth rate which is predicted to continue for at least 2-3 more years.

I love Bangkok because of the people, the weather, it's close proximity to Hong Kong and the rest of Asia.  The people there are just really chill, value the simple things in life and the beaches make anything in the US look like a garbage dump ;-)  So why not strive to land a BigLaw job in one of the coolest places on earth? If I am going to work long hours, I'd rather do it out there.