Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: UCLA $$$ v. Boalt $  (Read 3133 times)

procrastinator

• View Profile
Re: UCLA $$$ v. Boalt $
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2008, 05:30:38 PM »
Oh Boalt is an incredible school, don't get me wrong.  Like I said, I would have given anything to get in off that damn waitlist!  I've just noticed that the people who actually like (even love!) where they are seem to work harder and enjoy what they are doing.  I'm not saying that being at Boalt wouldn't open up a world of opportunities, of course it would.  I am saying that doing well (and when I say "well" I am not just referring to grades, but taking on leadership roles, networking with professors, getting involved in non-academic law-school related activities - making the most of your education) at UCLA can still get you far.  Yes there is a difference in prestige.  But that is not the only thing that should enter into someone's decision-making calculus.  Not when a degree from the lower-ranked school can still open plenty of doors, particularly in the OP's specified area of interest.  LA is the mecca for entertainment law and UCLAW is regarded as the best law school in LA.  I don't know that the difference between the two schools is enough to overcome personal well-being, academic achievement, connections, drive.

casper13

• Sr. Citizen
  • Oh I just love her. dont you
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2008, 06:17:23 AM »

Also, Dean Edley is the man. No joke.

So tough

Do gotta agree woth you there. Did you go to ASW and hear his speech about teaching Obama all he knows. My buddy went and told me it, classic totally classic.

Bubble tea. Classic totally classic Cali right there

Okay, this is so true. Dean Edley is AWESOME.

It's also a spectacularly beautiful day in Berkeley today if that helps  ;D

I'm on board with the idea that being where you'll be happier is good for the grade and such.

I've visited UCLA's neighborhood and I've visited Berkeley.  Maybe I lack the California googles which natives seem to extol, but I cannot even begin to understand why one is better than the other.  Trees, sunshine, bubble tea.  Am I missing anything?  Is it a matter of yuppies versus hippies?

Jerry Maguire

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2008, 12:28:50 PM »
Thanks for the banter.

In my heart of hearts, I feel it is coming down to  Boalt's grading system and faculty vs. UCLA fin aid and location.

The portability of Boalt's degree may be better, but I feel that if I go to UCLA I will be able to perform very well and attain a high GPA. Whereas if I went to Boalt, I would just take the easy street to passes and a couple  high passes.

If UCLA would just pony up a full ride, I think I could make the decision today for it today. I really don't even know why thats the deal breaker.

moonpie

• Sr. Citizen
  • No it's not mexico
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2008, 02:51:04 PM »
Thanks for the banter.

In my heart of hearts, I feel it is coming down to  Boalt's grading system and faculty vs. UCLA fin aid and location.

The portability of Boalt's degree may be better, but I feel that if I go to UCLA I will be able to perform very well and attain a high GPA. Whereas if I went to Boalt, I would just take the easy street to passes and a couple  high passes.

If UCLA would just pony up a full ride, I think I could make the decision today for it today. I really don't even know why thats the deal breaker.

Err...undergrad GPA and LSAT correlate, they're not an iron predictor.  You're hedging a lot of risk by going to berkeley.  You have no reason to "feel" that you'll do well at UCLA - even if there are broad trends, there's no way to know you'll be part of that trend.  Plus, if you want fellowships, clerkships or other prestige-weighted jobs after graduation, being at boalt helps a lot. 

Jerry Maguire

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2008, 03:28:29 PM »
If there's even a small correlation, there's reason for me to "feel" like I can do very well. If anything, there's no reason for me to feel like I won't do well.

And I get that my risk of failure is lower at Boalt, but I really don't look at the glass half-empty like that. Even if I am ignoring a real possibility of not doing well at UCLA where I could have just gotten Ps at Boalt.

If it seems like I'm going with UCLA, I think it's because I am. I am tilted towards UCLA now, and as my deposit is coming up, I think I'm going to just put it down and wait out Yale's waitlist.

Thanks to everyone.