Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: UCLA $$$ v. Boalt $  (Read 3145 times)

tennis19

• View Profile
Re: UCLA $$$ v. Boalt $
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2008, 01:54:12 PM »
Yeah I feel I will be happy wherever I end up, just so undecided still....

Have you considered looking into which location would provide the best opportunities to do internships/externships during the school year? I don't know the answer, but if I had to guess, I would think LA has more offices to which you could apply.

Just another factor to help you build a case one way or the other. 

vjm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2008, 02:04:18 PM »
Jesus Wally, you are starting to convince me to go to Boalt and I didn't even apply there!

tennis19

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2008, 02:06:58 PM »
Seriously, the people in here are well-meaning, but even a cursory look at certain threads shows that below-median at UCLA is problematic.  Below-median at Boalt will probably still get LA BigLaw, I think.

Could you provide a bit of guidance to the particular threads - I'm interested to read. Thanks.

The Artist

• Sr. Citizen
  • Admit it... you got Rick Rolled.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2008, 02:46:40 PM »
Jesus Wally, you are starting to convince me to go to Boalt and I didn't even apply there!

Where are you going?

Law School is only 27 months -- that's right, not much more than 2 years -- of a long career.  I think that anyone who can't bear to live somewhere else for a few years, even if that place is Alaska, is being a little silly.  It's not like you're deciding to vacation there, either: you'll be in classes and most of your life will revolve around your LS circle.

I disagree with this (within reason). If Harvard was in Alaska I'd go there, but if UC Hastings was located there and I wanted to work in SF (assuming that UC Hastings placed well in SF despite being in Alaska) I wouldn't go there. Heck, I might not even go there with their location in the tenderloin!

Jerry Maguire

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2008, 03:16:45 PM »
What's OCI time?

I feel that my sports interest will need to be bolstered by networking ties, and if I plan on practicing in LA, doesn't that put UCLA a bit in front? Ugh I don't expect to get into biglaw, but I might,  I guess I just don't know.

Also, Dean Edley is the man. No joke.

So tough

procrastinator

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2008, 03:29:51 PM »
Seriously, the people in here are well-meaning, but even a cursory look at certain threads shows that below-median at UCLA is problematic.  Below-median at Boalt will probably still get LA BigLaw, I think.

Dude, enough with the rankings whoring.  Everyone I know who actively wanted biglaw from UCLA got it.  Some just had to work at it a little harder than others, but I definitely know below-median people who got "prestigious" firm jobs because their solid interview skills and desire to work hard ultimatetly came through.  This was particularly true for LA firms.  If you go to UCLA, you don't have an atrocious personality, you're reasonably smart (which is generally assumed of people here) and hard working, you'll get yourself a good job.

Look, I would have killed to score admission to Boalt when I applied to law school two years ago.  Had I gotten in, I would have gone there over UCLA in a heartbeat.  But that desire had nothing to do with prestige and disparities in job opportunities and everything to do with location and environment.  If you think you'll be happier at UCLAW, you'll probably do better academically, get more involved in student life and build your resume.  Yes, it's a slight drop in the rankings.  But it's not like you're choosing between Harvard and a 4th tier school.  I know folks who turned down Boalt to come to UCLA simply because they knew they'd be happier here.  They all have great jobs - the very jobs they set out to get when they started law school.  Wallace Stevens seems to be operating on internet-based hearsay and US News and World Report.  I actually go to UCLA and would have gone to Boalt had I been accepted.  Between the two, go to the one that will make you happier.  Those who chose UCLA based solely on that criteria do not regret their decision.  At least, those I know.  And there are more than a few.

PM me if you want more info.

The Artist

• Sr. Citizen
  • Admit it... you got Rick Rolled.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2008, 03:41:35 PM »

Dude, enough with the rankings whoring.  Everyone I know who actively wanted biglaw from UCLA got it.  Some just had to work at it a little harder than others, but I definitely know below-median people who got "prestigious" firm jobs because their solid interview skills and desire to work hard ultimatetly came through.  This was particularly true for LA firms.  If you go to UCLA, you don't have an atrocious personality, you're reasonably smart (which is generally assumed of people here) and hard working, you'll get yourself a good job.

Look, I would have killed to score admission to Boalt when I applied to law school two years ago.  Had I gotten in, I would have gone there over UCLA in a heartbeat.  But that desire had nothing to do with prestige and disparities in job opportunities and everything to do with location and environment.  If you think you'll be happier at UCLAW, you'll probably do better academically, get more involved in student life and build your resume.  Yes, it's a slight drop in the rankings.  But it's not like you're choosing between Harvard and a 4th tier school.  I know folks who turned down Boalt to come to UCLA simply because they knew they'd be happier here.  They all have great jobs - the very jobs they set out to get when they started law school.  Wallace Stevens seems to be operating on internet-based hearsay and US News and World Report.  I actually go to UCLA and would have gone to Boalt had I been accepted.  Between the two, go to the one that will make you happier.  Those who chose UCLA based solely on that criteria do not regret their decision.  At least, those I know.  And there are more than a few.

PM me if you want more info.

That was beautiful...

Even though I think the OP would be well served (probably better served) going to Boalt, it is crucial not to ignore the quality of life aspect. You will almost certainly perform better grades wise where you are happier. This board tends to think of law school exclusively in terms of the bottom line of career prospects after graduation. While that is always very important, it is not the only thing that matters. Heck, it might not even be the most important factor depending on the person. Law school is almost as long as college, and I don't think the majority of people went into college thinking exclusively in terms of job prospects.

sherah

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2008, 04:28:44 PM »

That was beautiful...

Even though I think the OP would be well served (probably better served) going to Boalt, it is crucial not to ignore the quality of life aspect. You will almost certainly perform better grades wise where you are happier. This board tends to think of law school exclusively in terms of the bottom line of career prospects after graduation. While that is always very important, it is not the only thing that matters. Heck, it might not even be the most important factor depending on the person. Law school is almost as long as college, and I don't think the majority of people went into college thinking exclusively in terms of job prospects.

This is the biggest reason why I chose Hastings over BU.
"The expert only answers what he or she knows.
The non-expert answers everything!"

casper13

• Sr. Citizen
  • Oh I just love her. dont you
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2008, 04:58:16 PM »

So tough

Do gotta agree woth you there. Did you go to ASW and hear his speech about teaching Obama all he knows. My buddy went and told me it, classic totally classic.

goaliechica

• LSD Obsessed
  • It's only forever - not long at all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2008, 04:59:37 PM »

So tough

Do gotta agree woth you there. Did you go to ASW and hear his speech about teaching Obama all he knows. My buddy went and told me it, classic totally classic.

Okay, this is so true. Dean Edley is AWESOME.

It's also a spectacularly beautiful day in Berkeley today if that helps  ;D

I'm on board with the idea that being where you'll be happier is good for the grade and such.
Quote from: Earthbound SNES
Get a sense of humor, Susan B. Anthony!
Quote from: dashrashi
I'm going to cut a female dog. With a knife with a brown handle, natch.
Quote from: Elephant Lee
Don't judge me. You've not had my life.