Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: UCLA $$$ v. Boalt $  (Read 3068 times)

The Artist

• Sr. Citizen
  • Admit it... you got Rick Rolled.
    • View Profile
Re: UCLA $$$ v. Boalt $
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2008, 03:52:56 PM »
Can I ask what the Boalt fans truly like about the school? At the admit day, I wasn't overwhelmingly impressed. The city is definitely not as nice as Westwood, the school is kinda small. I REALLY liked the chairs in the classes though, so comfortable. At the activities fair, the sports law society didn't even show up :(.

But I mean the main selling point for me was the grading system. Am I missing something that yall know about?

I actually like Berkeley better than Westwood. My bro went to UCLA and I took summer school at Berkeley, so i know both areas pretty well. The thing about Westwood is as a 21 year old the city opens up to 'Hollywood nightlife' for a lack of a better term. UCLA people tend to put more effort into their appearance, work out more etc, while Berkeley culture is more laid back, almost grungy. Depends what you are looking for, but you are correct the school culture is different at both places.

About sports agents... I know a lot about becoming a sports agent (I was originally attracted to law because I wanted to be one). Let me just tell you it is VERY hard field to get in. Most newbie agents have connections with athletes from college or were former players themselves. Furthermore, the face of the game has changed. It is no longer "Hi I'm Alex, here is my agent Tom", it's "Hi, I'm Alex, I'm represented by IMG." An agent can  negotiate a contract and do little else, while a corporate agency can provide endless resources (media coaching, state of the art workout facilities in prep for the combine, marketing divisions to seek endorsements, etc). And believe it or not the corporate agencies usually charge their clients LESS than others (they go by a high volume model). So just know what you are getting yourself into  ;)

Penn263

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2008, 04:09:15 PM »
go for boalt and let one of us 500 kids on the waitlist off the hook!
To whom much is given, much is expected.

Jerry Maguire

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2008, 04:32:09 PM »
Yeah, it's rare that people are represented by one person anymore. Teams help with exposure, marketing, endorsements, etc. I used to intern at IMG actually.

The reason I feel I can become one is that they have to come from somewhere, why not me? The sports markets are pretty comparable (Oakland/San Fran vs. LA) and if anything, nor cal might have more ins because of their higher number of teams (NFL puts em over).

So, I'm still stuck. Yeah, I have a really good friend WLd at UCLA too, and she's pushing me elsewhere also. Oh well, we will see I guess.

casper13

• Sr. Citizen
  • Oh I just love her. dont you
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2008, 04:45:34 PM »
Jerry, I do not have a real legit answer for you other than something inside of me clicks and wants me to go to Boalt ever since I looked into the law school process, before I ever knew about rankings or anything I went to the Boalt website and was hooked when i read about the school and the clinics and everything else. No real help sorry. But as I said in my previous post the common sense in me would take the money at UCLA, very good school very good reputation and very good prospects after work. Plus the little debt makes it even more appealing. And LA is getting a football team very soon. I do believe there are more total sports teams in LA than that bay area and more schools with D1 players that put into the pros plus there is San Diego about 90 miles south.

Jerry Maguire

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2008, 04:58:26 PM »
Yeah, thats the feeling I needed when I visited, and I never got it. Maybe I'm destined to go to UCLA.

casper13

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2008, 05:53:04 PM »
Yeah, thats the feeling I needed when I visited, and I never got it. Maybe I'm destined to go to UCLA.

How did UCLA make you feel, warm and fuzzy. Plus UCLA is close to OC and the girl in my avatar is in the OC lol  ;D

Jerry Maguire

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2008, 07:03:55 PM »
Haha ok who is she? Well UCLA is just the bomb, I did undergrad here, the ASW had open bars, tours, tours of law firms, they went the extra mile for sure...

Plus reimbursements...

Can't go wrong with that kind of hospitality

goaliechica

• LSD Obsessed
  • It's only forever - not long at all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2008, 08:36:03 PM »
Haha ok who is she? Well UCLA is just the bomb, I did undergrad here, the ASW had open bars, tours, tours of law firms, they went the extra mile for sure...

Plus reimbursements...

I'm a current Boalt student and I love Boalt, but it seems like you just like UCLA better. I say go with your gut on this one.
Quote from: Earthbound SNES
Get a sense of humor, Susan B. Anthony!
Quote from: dashrashi
I'm going to cut a female dog. With a knife with a brown handle, natch.
Quote from: Elephant Lee
Don't judge me. You've not had my life.

casper13

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2008, 11:31:27 PM »

Plus reimbursements...

Its Rachel Bilson she was on that show the OC. Well if you did UG there and loved it I dont see why not stay where you are rooted already and know the area and will be on top of the Academic food chain there, well aside from the med students.

Jerry Maguire

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2008, 12:22:39 AM »
Yeah I feel I will be happy wherever I end up, just so undecided still....