Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: UCLA $$$ v. Boalt $  (Read 3076 times)

Jerry Maguire

• View Profile
UCLA $$$ v. Boalt $
« on: April 22, 2008, 03:26:07 PM »
UCLA around 100k

Boalt around 50k

Waitlisted at Yale, Stanford, Columbia

Waiting to hear from Harvard.

I am interested in Sports law. I like the flexibility I will have graduating with less debt, but Boalt is around 10 spots better than UCLA, plus I like their grading system better.

Plus, I'm WLd at YSC, and I assume I will get no money if I get into one of those. Any thoughts on what I should expect about those three waitlists? And if you had to choose now, what would you pick? Thanks

Jerry Maguire

• View Profile
Re: UCLA $$$ v. Boalt $
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2008, 12:23:15 PM »
It's supposed to be, but it's hard to get a straight answer from either school, both so biased...

Lampshade Punk

• Sr. Citizen
  • "Even in the quietest moments."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2008, 03:14:40 PM »
hang on the waitlist.  go to boalt.  you can't really go wrong with a j.d. from berkeley

Jerry Maguire

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2008, 08:14:46 PM »
Thanks, but anything else you can offer me by way of info? Why Boalt? I mean can I go wrong with a jd from UCLA?

vjm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2008, 08:40:24 PM »
If you are really interested in sports law, I can't see passing up UCLA with $. Boalt seems safer if you aren't at the top of the class, but with your area of interest I think UCLA will put you where you want to be.

Riding the waitlists you mentioned, of course.

And you can't really go too far wrong here.

The Artist

• Sr. Citizen
  • Admit it... you got Rick Rolled.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2008, 08:58:31 PM »
If I'm not mistaken, didn't Leigh Steinberg go to Boalt? (he is the agent the movie Jerry Maguire was based on).

Lampshade Punk

• Sr. Citizen
  • "Even in the quietest moments."
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2008, 09:21:18 PM »
Thanks, but anything else you can offer me by way of info? Why Boalt? I mean can I go wrong with a jd from UCLA?

while UCLA is definitely held in high regard, Boalt is in a class of its own.   You won't lose an LA job if you go to Boalt.  Since I don't think money is going to be an issue when you graduate, considering the type of law you want to do, fiancial aid shoudn't be a determining factor.  While less debt is always better, I just don't think it puts UCLA above Boalt.  That is my opinion though. Personally if I would have got into Berkeley and they told me I had to pay 20k more than everyond, I still would have gone.  Maybe I'm bias a bit. 

goaliechica

• LSD Obsessed
  • It's only forever - not long at all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2008, 09:34:56 PM »
If I'm not mistaken, didn't Leigh Steinberg go to Boalt? (he is the agent the movie Jerry Maguire was based on).

He did indeed!

I don't know how indicative that is of what it's like to become a sports agent from Boalt, but he came back to talk this year, anyway.
Quote from: Earthbound SNES
Get a sense of humor, Susan B. Anthony!
Quote from: dashrashi
I'm going to cut a female dog. With a knife with a brown handle, natch.
Quote from: Elephant Lee
Don't judge me. You've not had my life.

casper13

• Sr. Citizen
  • Oh I just love her. dont you
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2008, 02:37:22 PM »

And Drew Rosenhaus went to Duke and Bob Sugar is suppose to be him in that movie.
My 2 pennies is if I was in your situation I would go UCLA with the cash. Kinda hard to pass up that much being not in debt cause one would think that sports law is a field one has to work from ground up and pay your dues to make it big. Not having the high debt will allow you to be more flexible in what jobs you take and get.
And this is coming from me who is obssesed with Boalt and wants to go there more than anything in the world.

Jerry Maguire

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2008, 02:58:17 PM »
Can I ask what the Boalt fans truly like about the school? At the admit day, I wasn't overwhelmingly impressed. The city is definitely not as nice as Westwood, the school is kinda small. I REALLY liked the chairs in the classes though, so comfortable. At the activities fair, the sports law society didn't even show up :(.

But I mean the main selling point for me was the grading system. Am I missing something that yall know about?