Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Help me understand Global Warming Please!  (Read 361 times)

jack24

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Help me understand Global Warming Please!
« on: April 22, 2008, 12:33:12 PM »
I'm so confused!  ???

What is the deal with this global warming stuff?
"The world is getting warmer and we're the cause"
"The world is getting warmer but we aren't the cause"
"What? That's like denying the holocaust"
"What? Any changes we make will have little effect"
"We have to act now, there's no debate!"
"Somewhere between 2100 and 19000 scientists in the oregon petition say there is"
"Those scientists are in the minority"

So what is right?   I've heard some convincing evidence for man-caused global warming.  The history channel said there is no debate that we are the cause, but then some scientists on another 20/20 special said that CO2 doesn't cause warming, and that there is evidence that the warming happens first.  I don't know who to believe. I just want to do what is right. 

Al Gore is trying to guilt us to death with 300 million dollars worth of ads.  I don't think he understands true motivation.  He's mad that the US isn't acting, but he won't change his strategy.  We didn't make it to the moon first because we were guilty.. we made it there first because we were proud. 

Here are a few things I know.
-The majority of reasonable people think we have a lot to do with global warming
-The majority of reasonable people think that we need to end our addiction to oil
-The majority of Americans want the US to lead the world
-if we run out of oil before we find a good alternative, the cold will kill more people than the warming.

I just watched something on discovery about Energy and it looks like Nuclear, and Solar power are improving like crazy.  So why can't we get the country behind this?

Increasing MPG standards kills our auto industry and raises prices...
Ethanol production increases poverty all over the world...
Carbon tax would make all products more expensive.. The US might be okay, but most poor countries would just suffer more...

Those plans are dumb.

We need a new nemesis..   We fought Russia in the space race and we all wanted to kick their ass.  Now we need an Energy race...  we just need an ass to kick.

The capitalists would love this because technology increases wealth.
The protectionists would love it because we would have more jobs and less oil imports
The greenists would love this because it would reduce CO2
The consumers would love this because energy prices would go down  (And as a result so would food and clothing prices)

So WTF?

jack24

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Help me understand Global Warming Please!
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2008, 12:50:18 PM »
jack24 is still my favorite poster on this site.

http://www.realclimate.org/index.php/archives/2007/05/start-here/

Thanks man.  That is a really cool link, and it should help me kill some time at work.

So are you a Lakers fan?  Some people on ESPN and TNT think the Jazz might beat them in round 2.  Your response?

jack24

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2008, 01:10:10 PM »
I'm hoping the Lakers take it all.   I'm a jazz fan, but they are the biggest chokers in basketball history (maybe besides memphis)

So lets say I aggree that Global Warming is a man-caused phenomenon and we can do something to prevent it.

We get 86% of our energy from Oil, Coal and Natural Gas.
8% comes from Nuclear, and 6% comes from renewables.

Am I correct in saying that we can either fight CO2 emission by using less energy, or by using more clean energy and as a result reducing the need for dirty energy?

jack24

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2008, 01:24:38 PM »
I'm hoping the Lakers take it all.   I'm a jazz fan

I don't get it.

I like the Lakers 2nd best..  And if the Jazz beat the lakers, they will just choke in the next round.  I'd much rather have the Lakers go to the finals than the alternatives.  I hate the spurs, mavs, and suns.  I have no real feelings about NO.

jack24

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2008, 05:28:06 PM »
jack24 is still my favorite poster on this site.

Why?