Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

NYU vs CLS

CLS sticker price over NYU $$$
NYU sticker price over CLS $$$
Follow the Money, regardless
Follow your Heart, regardless

Author Topic: NYU full tuition or CLS?...for my situation  (Read 866 times)

curios1985

• View Profile
NYU full tuition or CLS?...for my situation
« on: April 22, 2008, 05:00:26 AM »
Hello all,

I have been lurking on LSD since I started this process in August and I recently created a profile. I have been impressed by the willingness of everyone to share their advice/experiences with each other. This site is great! :) 

Now I am nearing the moment of truth and I just wanted to get some advice from anyone who is willing, but especially people who had to choose between CLS and NYU OR people attending either school.

I am blessed to have been offered a full tuition scholarship at NYU but I have yet to receive my aid from CLS (so I am assuming all loans).

I am unsure which career path I will take so options are very important. Even though I think I want to work in government eventually. Which of the two offers more opportunities (biglaw, government, clerkships) and mobility (national/international)? Is there any reason to choose one at full price over the other with full tuition?

Which websites are the most useful for data on which schools are best for a)clerkships, b)biglaw, c)government, d)international law (i know this i vague)?

I know there are many CLS vs NYU threads and I have read most of them, but I would be very interested to see peoples opinions.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks guys! ;D

NYU2011

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: NYU full tuition or CLS?...for my situation
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2008, 09:21:12 AM »
anyone who would choose either school with a full ride to one and loans to the other is insane.  The only way you would choose one with nothing over the other with a full ride is if you had so much money you would never think of taking out a loan.

indyguy7484

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2008, 10:36:51 AM »
NYU, no questions asked.

Columbia has slightly more Federal Appellate clerks, but not enough to justify an extra 120K.
http://www.lawclerkaddict2008.blogspot.com/

Rhymnoceros

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I'm the mother flippin'"
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2008, 01:00:56 PM »
You know, I'm not going to go so far as to call you crazy, because I can imagine there may be situations where choosing one closely ranked school over an other is worth it, despite a massive cost difference. But given your interests and the schools in question, this is certainly not one of those instances. For your goals, Columbia and NYU are probably not different enough for you to pay 12,000 more for columbia, let alone 120,000 more. If you visited both and really think you'd fit better at one, then its worth paying a bit more. But even then, 100,000 in debt is a big burden. It seems abstract, just like the 160,000 dollar salaries every school touts. But it is a big burden to carry.

This calculator can help you look at loans repayment with interest.
http://www.finaid.org/calculators/loanpayments.phtml For 120,000 loan at an average of 7.8, you're paying back 173k, which is $1,500 a month. Why do that if you don't have to?

themanwithnoname

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2008, 01:34:26 PM »
this is a complete no brainer. 120k of debt is huge, whether or not you want to do gov't work. The differences between the two schools is negligible. Also, I see you mention international law, and NYU is hands down the stronger of the two in that area.

Uptown *2*L

• Sr. Citizen
  • I speak softly and carry a big stick
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2008, 02:05:49 PM »
Ok, it sounds like if you're asking this question, you've already decided that CLS is your first choice, finances being equal.

I was in a similar situation, though I did not receive a *full* ride. I got CLS to match NYU. They do this with some frequency.

Have faxed your NYU letter over the CLS to get at least a partial match? Please PM me for instructions on the *appropriate* way to go about doing this, as there is definitely a way to be tactful and a way to piss them off.

iamprov

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2008, 03:20:42 PM »
NYU without question.  If it was between Columbia and Cardozo/Brooklyn I's understand.  But you'll be just as well off, and if you're into govt., it's a complete no-brainer.  Good luck!!!
Albany Law School Class of 2010

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2008, 06:51:08 PM »
at this point, NYU, no question.
Columbia 3L

themanwithnoname

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2008, 06:52:22 PM »
NYU without question.  If it was between Columbia and Cardozo/Brooklyn I's understand.  But you'll be just as well off, and if you're into govt., it's a complete no-brainer.  Good luck!!!

That would be a no-brainer in the other direction, imho.