Law School Discussion

Calling all Current and Former Law Students

cui bono?

• blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
Re: Calling all Current and Former Law Students
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2008, 03:59:36 PM »
Damn, I just started Getting to Maybe. Is it a waste of time?

Its not a waste of time, its just not what you should be doing the summer before law school is all we're sayin.

Doesn't seem like you would have time to read it once classes start. I was thinking of reading it over the summer and referring back to it when I start taking practice exams.

GTM is an interesting read but you gotta keep the fact that the authors are professors in mind.  I think they put way too much emphasis on the importance of class discussions.  No way should you be writing down every word.  I did that my first semester and had about 80 pages of notes to work from.  Not a good look.  The Big 3 of law school prep books seems to be the LEEWS primer, Getting to Maybe, and PLS II.  There are others that give very general advice.  Like one that someone bought for me said something to the effect of "you must eat balanced meals during law school. Do as your mama told you & Eat your veggies!"  Sure, but I don't think advice like that is worth spending $25.     

LEEWS-  I've actually met Wentworth Miller, the creator of the program-  has a fairly good discussion about notetaking in the primer.  Basically you shouldn't have that much to write down because you've already done this work @ home.  And writing down everything that your fellow classmates say is usually not a good look (could be wrong)- particularly in the first few weeks and especially if you have a professor that doesn't "give you the right answer" (which would be the majority of professors).  Also has a fairly good discussion on how to read cases.  But I think the actual exam tips are good but incomplete-  doesn't work for every law school exam type.   

PLS II-  eh, was interesting.  Does give some good info.  Some parts crack me up but some of his advice on the culture of law school (as oppossed to the academic side) are surprisingly on point. For example, his brief discussion about women in networking settings with very high voices should try to bring it down a bit-  hard to take them seriously. And as a woman with a very high Minnie Mouse voice, I feel comfortable in saying that speaking in such a voice is not only hard for some to take you seriously but also lends a little something (of a sexual nature) to male legal professionals that are out @ the networking event for the dual purpose of both networking & making passes at the impressionable 1Ls/young female law students. :o   
 But I don't suggest following his study plan as it is too much too soon.

Supplements over the summer?  Generally speaking not a good look.  Some are just plain wrong on the law.  Some just talk about black letter law; don't go in depth.  I know only 1 person that did this and did well the first year.  Other people tend to burn out or pick up bad information that is kinda hard to correct.   

But yeah, I'm going to echo the sentiments of everyone else on this thread.  Go outside as much as possible.  Spend time w/ friends and fam and significant others. Don't give these books too much time or thought.  A lot of stuff out there just preys on your natural feelings of anxiety or anticipation about law school for profit.   

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2008, 04:07:35 PM »
I read GTM in one day. Save it for when you have an idea of what you're doing--i.e. not the summer before law school.

pikey

• Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2008, 06:22:50 PM »
Still haven't read GTM.  I worked for most of the summer, quit at the end of July, went to visit friends, and just relaxed in general.

cui bono?

• blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2008, 08:55:01 PM »
Still haven't read GTM.  I worked for most of the summer, quit at the end of July, went to visit friends, and just relaxed in general.

No big loss.  You did what you should've.   :)

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2008, 08:42:12 AM »
Damn, I just started Getting to Maybe. Is it a waste of time?

Its not a waste of time, its just not what you should be doing the summer before law school is all we're sayin.

Doesn't seem like you would have time to read it once classes start. I was thinking of reading it over the summer and referring back to it when I start taking practice exams.

eh...

with the amount of information that is going to be in your brain by the end of first semester, its hard to remember anything that you saw 4 months prior.  Especially something that you had no context for when you read it. 

What little I did read of the E&E's prior to law school made not one lick of difference, and (if I was lucky) was largely forgotten or (in some cases) had to be re-learned properly because I had the wrong idea or lacked the full picture as a pre-law when I read that stuff that I would later gain as a 1L.

So in retrospect, I'd just kick it and relax.

Nande

« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2008, 07:02:44 PM »

Every person I've spoken to has said this.  So, I'm planning a summer filled with relaxation and travel.  (Well, not too much, saving money is important)

Interestingly, one alum suggested we try to increase our reading speed.  But he didn't specify any books to read, just that we should work on that.

cui bono?

• blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2008, 11:25:45 AM »

Every person I've spoken to has said this.  So, I'm planning a summer filled with relaxation and travel.  (Well, not too much, saving money is important)

Interestingly, one alum suggested we try to increase our reading speed.  But he didn't specify any books to read, just that we should work on that.

speed?  Speed is nothing without comprehension.  There are speed reading courses out there but I honestly think they're a waste of money.  I actually took one.  And I honestly think you'll just naturally get better at comprehending the cases the more you read/as time goes on.

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2008, 11:35:36 AM »

Hmmm...that might have helped out a little.   :-\

I'm a pretty SLOW and very deliberate reader in general so I'm sure it could have helped me out some in terms of homework assignments, but I'd throw a caveat out there that when you're reading case law and when you're reading law school exams, you really don't want to "speed" your way through.  If you misread one little thing on a law school exam fact pattern for example, you could very well spend an hour or two writing out an IRAC answer to the wrong issue.  On the essay portion of the bar exam I made sure to read the questions 2 or 3 times before I would even start writing out my answer. 

And with your everyday reading assignments, you will be required to sift through pages and pages of case law.  But the trick is, you don't really need to be a fast reader (obviously, I'm living proof) you just have to be familiar with how cases are written.  Sometimes you only need to read one paragraph of a 20 page case, literally.  Its all about being able to pin-point where the relevant portion of the case is and go to it.  You will be able to get that pretty quickly through experience.

In the practice, we basically just read the head notes of any given case and that's about it.  Rarely do I ever find it necessary to read any case in its entirety.

« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2008, 05:01:02 PM »
OP and others with this question..relax and enjoy life..this will be the last free summer until you retire..

*drops the mic*

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2008, 10:44:18 AM »
OP and others with this question..relax and enjoy life..this will be the last free summer until you retire..

*drops the mic*

Basically!