Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What's Your Feeling On Florida International University?  (Read 9921 times)

lawordie

• View Profile
Re: What's Your Feeling On Florida International University?
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2008, 10:59:54 AM »
First of all,
CONGRAGULATIONS on getting accepted into law school! Thats the first step.
I was just wondering if you have gotten any scholarship money because that is obviously a load off when looking at debt?
I have done a little research on FIU and what i have read all seem to be positives for the school. I have also done research on Loyola NO and it to struck me as a positive school.
Speaking about getting a job.....try being a canadian coming down to the states.....hahahaha

RockinJay

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2008, 11:24:37 AM »
Thank you very much!

Since my LSAT score is below freezing, I have received zilch, which is all the more reason to pursue a public university. 

Regarding you be Canadian, I work with a recent graduate of McGill Law School here at a BigLaw firm.  He really loves his hockey!  Hehehe

lawordie

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2008, 11:28:15 AM »
haha ya im sure he does!
Luckily for me Im a big NFL fan so at least ill have one thing in common with you guys!
I understand that your LSAT is low but keep waiting for Loyola NO because there acceptance rate is really high and i know that the first round of money had to be in by april 15 so they are probably getting bombarded with yes and no's right now.......good luck

DontQuestionMe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2008, 12:38:47 PM »
Defense,

Thank you so much for your response.   It's nice to see someone respond who's in the same boat as I am and doesn't talk down to me like I am such 2 year old playing with blocks!  Hahahaha.

I have come to the same conclusions as you have regarding the schools I've listed.  Regarding my own personal situation, I do have an MPA from NYU but have been working in law firms in public finance securities (i.e. tender option bonds) for the last five to six years.  My school loan debt is already fairly high from both undergrad and NYU so costs will become a major factor.  Therefore, I think FIU is the front runner for me in Florida since the in-state tuition is incredibly low and I can live at home with the parents (that should be interesting).

I am still waiting on the following schools:

3 more T3's: Loyola-New Orleans, Akron, Arkansas-Little Rock

2 more T4's: Duquesne and New England

1 more T2: Louisville

Oh yes, my numbers are 147/3.30.  I wrote a great statement about my historically low standardized test scores and how they've not predicted low academic performance.  Some schools have bought it, others have not.

What are your numbers and where else are you applying?

Did you only take the LSAT once? Your GPA and post graduate work is good enough to get your into a T1-T2! With enough work you could boost your LSAT score and get into T25s like Emory, University of Minnesota, WUSTL. If you really grind and put in work, you could be going to a T25 if you put off law school for a year. That is definitely worth the investment.

I don't think most people realize what kind of drastic improvements can be made on the LSAT with proper prep work. Spend $$$ for a prep class, tutor, etc. it will be an investment that pays off in the long run. If you can finish each section within the time limit, when you are 100% focused and reading at your top level, you can score 160+ with the proper prep work.

Everyone I know who has scored well on the LSAT or taught a prep class will tell you that a 10 point increase from 147-157 is very very very obtainable. !0 point increase and you are a T1 candidate at SMU, Arizona (Rogers), etc. Don't sell yourself short.

RockinJay

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2008, 12:49:43 PM »
I understand what you are saying and appreciate your comments.  I have taken the LSATs twice and also a Princeton Review course back in the day.  For some reason, my mind becomes like Homer Simpson on standardized tests.  Shoot, I got an 860 on the SAT's but graduated near the top of my class in high-school!  This is why NYU waived the GRE's for me when I applied for their MPA program.  Why can't law school do that?  Hahahaa, I wish!

I have included a statement to all of the law schools regarding my "performance anxiety" on the standardized tests but all of the T1-T2 schools I applied too just brushed it off.  It's a shame that everything I have accomplished in life is pretty much flushed down the toilet due to a 3 hour exam.  I do understand the test's importance, but it should not be used as an end-all each and every time.

Steve Jones

• Sr. Citizen
  • Dir of Admissions, Florida Coastal School of Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2008, 02:19:03 PM »
FIU is the second-best law school in the state of Florida
We have many people from your state that attend our school!

RockinJay

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2008, 02:28:03 PM »
FIU has a good reputation within the State of Florida, but UF, FSU, Miami and Stetson are ranked higher than FIU.  Mr. Jones, if you were being serious, please explain your reasons.  Thank you.

DontQuestionMe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2008, 04:36:47 PM »
I understand what you are saying and appreciate your comments.  I have taken the LSATs twice and also a Princeton Review course back in the day.  For some reason, my mind becomes like Homer Simpson on standardized tests.  Shoot, I got an 860 on the SAT's but graduated near the top of my class in high-school!  This is why NYU waived the GRE's for me when I applied for their MPA program.  Why can't law school do that?  Hahahaa, I wish!

I have included a statement to all of the law schools regarding my "performance anxiety" on the standardized tests but all of the T1-T2 schools I applied too just brushed it off.  It's a shame that everything I have accomplished in life is pretty much flushed down the toilet due to a 3 hour exam.  I do understand the test's importance, but it should not be used as an end-all each and every time.

Taking a Princeton Review class "back in the day" does not cut it for LSAT prep. Test day anxiety can be alleviated through proper preparation. If you know the material, you won't have anxiety.

If you really have test anxiety that bad, how do you expect to do well on finals in law school?

If you prep properly for the LSAT you can score 160+ and go to a much better school.

BTW - Almost everyone who takes the LSAT has anxiety on test day. It is the biggest test of most of our lives. There are certain things you have to overcome.

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2008, 05:11:33 PM »

Oh yes, my numbers are 147/3.30.  I wrote a great statement about my historically low standardized test scores and how they've not predicted low academic performance.  Some schools have bought it, others have not.

Since you have undergrad and grad debts, why not apply to more Tier 2 and Tier 3 state schools?  What about Texas Tech, University of Mississippi, University of Arkansas, University of New Mexico, etc.  These Southern schools would probably appreciate the NYU degree more than others. 

DontQuestionMe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2008, 05:48:07 PM »

Since you have undergrad and grad debts, why not apply to more Tier 2 and Tier 3 state schools?  What about Texas Tech, University of Mississippi, University of Arkansas, University of New Mexico, etc.  These Southern schools would probably appreciate the NYU degree more than others. 

There is no full-time T2 program the O.P. will get into with a 147 LSAT. I can't even think of a part-time program the O.P. can get into with a 147 LSAT.