Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What's Your Feeling On Florida International University?  (Read 10681 times)

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: What's Your Feeling On Florida International University?
« Reply #50 on: February 24, 2009, 07:43:05 PM »

Once again, do you put FIU's students' ambitions at the same level as students at UF, FSU, FAU, UCF, and UMiami? 

My comparison between FIU undergraduate students and others is a comparison which, for the sake of argument, assumes the ambitions of the students to be the same (regardless of what we agree that to be; whether gaining acceptance to McDonalds or not).  And, since I am comparing FIU undergraduate students to the majority of other academic institutions, Harvard, UF, and FAU (whoever you want) is included in that comparison.  So, yes, in this respect, the ambitions of FIU students and Harvard students are put on the same level.  Obviously, however, with respect to the achievement of goals or ambitions, if we compare FIU students to Harvard or even UF students, FIU students will always result in being “weaker,” since the undergraduate institution is itself worse. 

If you want to go ahead and make some point about this go right ahead but, I should remind you that we’re posting on a thread entitled “What’s your feeling on Florida International University” and, thus my intention is not to compare FIU students to students at Harvard or even to UF but, rather, to those schools similar to that FIU, which is most likely the type school which someone who is considering FIU wants to have a comparison with.  So, again, when I said FIU students are “weaker,” I meant this in relation to the majority of schools, however, I intended it so that it would be contrasted with the average university (whatever that is) and not Harvard, UF, and other such schools which obviously produce better undergraduate students (for the most part) and against which it would be obvious that, having the same ambition, the FIU student would be “weaker.”

You're just an elitist.  To you, if it's not top tier, it's not good enough.  No, FIU is not Harvard of even UF, but its undergraduate program and its students are just as good as UCF, FAU, and USF. 

iahurricane

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 24, 2009, 08:09:53 PM »

Once again, do you put FIU's students' ambitions at the same level as students at UF, FSU, FAU, UCF, and UMiami? 

My comparison between FIU undergraduate students and others is a comparison which, for the sake of argument, assumes the ambitions of the students to be the same (regardless of what we agree that to be; whether gaining acceptance to McDonalds or not).  And, since I am comparing FIU undergraduate students to the majority of other academic institutions, Harvard, UF, and FAU (whoever you want) is included in that comparison.  So, yes, in this respect, the ambitions of FIU students and Harvard students are put on the same level.  Obviously, however, with respect to the achievement of goals or ambitions, if we compare FIU students to Harvard or even UF students, FIU students will always result in being “weaker,” since the undergraduate institution is itself worse. 

If you want to go ahead and make some point about this go right ahead but, I should remind you that we’re posting on a thread entitled “What’s your feeling on Florida International University” and, thus my intention is not to compare FIU students to students at Harvard or even to UF but, rather, to those schools similar to that FIU, which is most likely the type school which someone who is considering FIU wants to have a comparison with.  So, again, when I said FIU students are “weaker,” I meant this in relation to the majority of schools, however, I intended it so that it would be contrasted with the average university (whatever that is) and not Harvard, UF, and other such schools which obviously produce better undergraduate students (for the most part) and against which it would be obvious that, having the same ambition, the FIU student would be “weaker.”

You're just an elitist.  To you, if it's not top tier, it's not good enough.  No, FIU is not Harvard of even UF, but its undergraduate program and its students are just as good as UCF, FAU, and USF. 

LOL^^^ The person sounds like he goes to FIU himself but yet he's an "elitist". Maybe he just isn't biased about his school.. Also UCF and USF are both better schools.

misbuble

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 25, 2009, 08:25:58 AM »
I'm gonig to have to agree with the above comment. FIU is clearly much, much, much worse than ucf, usf. I think fau is pretty bad, and fiu is along the lines of fau, marginally worse? FSU isn't even that good, and it's way better than those. UF is the best UG school in FL, and it kills me to say that, I hate Tim Tebow...But there's no deying UF>FSU>UM=UCF>USF>Stetson>UNF>Rollins>FAMU>(FAU,FIU). FIU is really bad.

iahurricane

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 25, 2009, 04:43:23 PM »
I'm gonig to have to agree with the above comment. FIU is clearly much, much, much worse than ucf, usf. I think fau is pretty bad, and fiu is along the lines of fau, marginally worse? FSU isn't even that good, and it's way better than those. UF is the best UG school in FL, and it kills me to say that, I hate Tim Tebow...But there's no deying UF>FSU>UM=UCF>USF>Stetson>UNF>Rollins>FAMU>(FAU,FIU). FIU is really bad.

UM is ranked 51 right behind UF ..FSU is in the 100s for undergrad... I think you mean UM>FSU=UCF