Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What's Your Feeling On Florida International University?  (Read 10546 times)

Hamilcar77

• View Profile
Re: What's Your Feeling On Florida International University?
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2009, 01:08:08 PM »
Contract,

In response to your question about how I define "weak," I certainly wouldn't define it by gpa because I'm sure FIU can compete statistically with other schools in this respect, at least to some extent.  I mean its not very difficult, at least coming from a public or private high school in Miami, to have a 3.0+ or 3.5+ gpa. 

I think what I mean when I refer to students at FIU as being "weak," is that they've never had an education, or, at least developed the habits (mental or character) that would be desired in someone who you would call "educated."  For example, many of the students may be ambitious in so far as they want to go to a t14 law school, or medical school, or whatever it is that they want to do but, they'll never actually achieve that either because they don't know how or because they just don't have the character to do what it takes to achieve it (the cause would most likely lie, I think, in the city's culture).  So just keep in mind what type of undergrad institution FIU has, and infer what you want from it.

That said, you should also take this with a grain salt because maybe I have experienced a sample which isn't representative of the university as a whole or I'm disgruntled for whatever reason (as others might say).  I do think that if you plan on living in Miami and you are a Florida resident, FIU might just be a steal at the in-state rate. And, in all honestly, the university is certainly developing, at least in size (e.g. the addition of a medical school, the football team, etc.).

UnbiasedObserver

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2009, 01:13:26 PM »
That's median salary.  Which means, there are about 50% of those graduates (not to be confused with the number of entering first year law students), who will not be getting a job within that range. 

While you're probably correct that they use median rather than mean, my guess is: a) the standard deviation is rather small; b) many schools, e.g., take recent lawyers who are working on a per-month basis, and making, e.g., $4,000/month, and count them as a person making $48,000/yr. (at least so I've heard.  I could be wrong with this.)

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2009, 08:22:03 PM »

I think what I mean when I refer to students at FIU as being "weak," is that they've never had an education, or, at least developed the habits (mental or character) that would be desired in someone who you would call "educated."  For example, many of the students may be ambitious in so far as they want to go to a t14 law school, or medical school, or whatever it is that they want to do but, they'll never actually achieve that either because they don't know how or because they just don't have the character to do what it takes to achieve it (the cause would most likely lie, I think, in the city's culture).  So just keep in mind what type of undergrad institution FIU has, and infer what you want from it.

So, when you said "weak," you were comparing them to T14 law students?  How many college graduates actually have what it takes to get into one of those schools?  If that's the standard you're using, I would say over 90% or maybe 95% of the US population is "weak." 

Hamilcar77

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2009, 04:14:18 PM »

So, when you said "weak," you were comparing them to T14 law students?  How many college graduates actually have what it takes to get into one of those schools?  If that's the standard you're using, I would say over 90% or maybe 95% of the US population is "weak." 

The point I was trying to make, simply put, was that FIU students are worse than others with regard to their ambitions (I apologize for not making a clear distinction between FIU students and others in my previous post).  So, if we're going to use the example of t14 law schools, then while certainly many or most people don't have "what it takes" to get into a t14 law school, I believe, FIU students have even less of "what it takes." 

Just PM me if you have any other questions.

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 23, 2009, 07:37:25 PM »

The point I was trying to make, simply put, was that FIU students are worse than others with regard to their ambitions (I apologize for not making a clear distinction between FIU students and others in my previous post).  So, if we're going to use the example of t14 law schools, then while certainly many or most people don't have "what it takes" to get into a t14 law school, I believe, FIU students have even less of "what it takes." 

Why PM?  Are you afraid to say it publicly? 

Worse than whom?  FAU?  Univ. of Miami?  UF? Harvard? 

iahurricane

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 24, 2009, 12:34:09 PM »

All the above... get over it

Hamilcar77

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 24, 2009, 12:45:32 PM »

Say what publicly?  Can’t you read or, does the reference to “other questions” not register with your brain as being “questions other than what has already been discussed?”  (And, these “other questions” would most likely include questions which are more specific and which I would prefer not to make public.)

As for your question about “worse than whom?”  Considering I didn’t limit the scope of “others” in the first sentence and, my last sentence places the relation of FIU undergraduate students to have “less of ‘what it takes’” than “many or most people [that] don’t have ‘what it takes’ to get into a t14 law school,” I think its clear that I meant that FIU undergraduate students are worse than many or most other undergraduate students irrespective of their undergraduate institution. 

As for why you underlined “with regard to their ambitions,” I have no clue, since all I did there was contain the comparison of “FIU [undergraduate] students” to other undergraduate students with respect to their ambitions (this could be the ambition to work at McDonalds or, a t14 law school; in either case it doesn’t matter because the assumption is that the students being compared have the same ambition.  If I didn’t assume that I was comparing students with equivalent ambitions, then certainly FIU students would be worse that any “others” in accomplishing what they desire, especially if I hold that FIU students wish and believe themselves capable of achieving an acceptance to a t14 law school and others do not.  But, I didn’t do this; I actually made this quite clear when I used the words “in so far as” in my previous post.  Unfortunately, you seem to be unfamiliar with the phrase.)

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 24, 2009, 01:52:21 PM »

Say what publicly?  Can’t you read or, does the reference to “other questions” not register with your brain as being “questions other than what has already been discussed?”  (And, these “other questions” would most likely include questions which are more specific and which I would prefer not to make public.)

As for your question about “worse than whom?”  Considering I didn’t limit the scope of “others” in the first sentence and, my last sentence places the relation of FIU undergraduate students to have “less of ‘what it takes’” than “many or most people [that] don’t have ‘what it takes’ to get into a t14 law school,” I think its clear that I meant that FIU undergraduate students are worse than many or most other undergraduate students irrespective of their undergraduate institution. 

As for why you underlined “with regard to their ambitions,” I have no clue, since all I did there was contain the comparison of “FIU [undergraduate] students” to other undergraduate students with respect to their ambitions (this could be the ambition to work at McDonalds or, a t14 law school; in either case it doesn’t matter because the assumption is that the students being compared have the same ambition.  If I didn’t assume that I was comparing students with equivalent ambitions, then certainly FIU students would be worse that any “others” in accomplishing what they desire, especially if I hold that FIU students wish and believe themselves capable of achieving an acceptance to a t14 law school and others do not.  But, I didn’t do this; I actually made this quite clear when I used the words “in so far as” in my previous post.  Unfortunately, you seem to be unfamiliar with the phrase.)

Once again, do you put FIU's students' ambitions at the same level as students at UF, FSU, FAU, UCF, and UMiami? 

UnbiasedObserver

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 24, 2009, 03:55:41 PM »
C'mon guys, this is a little absurd.  Show some respect to one another.

Hamilcar77

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 24, 2009, 06:03:23 PM »

Once again, do you put FIU's students' ambitions at the same level as students at UF, FSU, FAU, UCF, and UMiami? 

My comparison between FIU undergraduate students and others is a comparison which, for the sake of argument, assumes the ambitions of the students to be the same (regardless of what we agree that to be; whether gaining acceptance to McDonalds or not).  And, since I am comparing FIU undergraduate students to the majority of other academic institutions, Harvard, UF, and FAU (whoever you want) is included in that comparison.  So, yes, in this respect, the ambitions of FIU students and Harvard students are put on the same level.  Obviously, however, with respect to the achievement of goals or ambitions, if we compare FIU students to Harvard or even UF students, FIU students will always result in being “weaker,” since the undergraduate institution is itself worse. 

If you want to go ahead and make some point about this go right ahead but, I should remind you that we’re posting on a thread entitled “What’s your feeling on Florida International University” and, thus my intention is not to compare FIU students to students at Harvard or even to UF but, rather, to those schools similar to that FIU, which is most likely the type school which someone who is considering FIU wants to have a comparison with.  So, again, when I said FIU students are “weaker,” I meant this in relation to the majority of schools, however, I intended it so that it would be contrasted with the average university (whatever that is) and not Harvard, UF, and other such schools which obviously produce better undergraduate students (for the most part) and against which it would be obvious that, having the same ambition, the FIU student would be “weaker.”