Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What's Your Feeling On Florida International University?  (Read 10999 times)

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: What's Your Feeling On Florida International University?
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2009, 10:30:39 PM »

If you had a 3.5 on a 4. scale in high school, you would get 100% tuition + extra money to go to FIU lol.

Not true at all.  I think UCF, FAU, and FIU have freshmen with decent numbers.  Maybe not 3.9 GPA like UF, but it's around 3.5. 

ntiger

• KC Newbie
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2009, 11:53:37 PM »
from wwww.collegeboard.com - Admission info for FIU undergraduates.

37% had h.s. GPA of 3.75 and higher
22% had h.s. GPA between 3.5 and 3.74
14% had h.s. GPA between 3.25 and 3.49
16% had h.s. GPA between 3.0 and 3.24
10% had h.s. GPA between 2.5 and 2.99
1% had h.s. GPA between 2.0 and 2.49

I had a 3.75 and went to FIU for my freshmen year.  I was out of state and got a scholarship for $12k a year renewable, so I believe I paid $4,000 / year.  I transferred out for other reasons, but really enjoyed the school.  If you are a 'name whore' and need to attend a college with prestige, this is not for you.  FIU is very working class, and is perceived as the non-snobby institution of Miami (with UM obviously being the alternative.)  Campus is beautiful, and concensus is that the law school and medical school have a lot of backing in the community and are on the up and up!!

Good luck.

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2009, 12:47:31 AM »

I had a 3.75 and went to FIU for my freshmen year.  I was out of state and got a scholarship for $12k a year renewable, so I believe I paid $4,000 / year.  I transferred out for other reasons, but really enjoyed the school.  If you are a 'name whore' and need to attend a college with prestige, this is not for you.  FIU is very working class, and is perceived as the non-snobby institution of Miami (with UM obviously being the alternative.)  Campus is beautiful, and concensus is that the law school and medical school have a lot of backing in the community and are on the up and up!!

Good luck.

That means that the majority of its students have a GPA higher than 3.5

iahurricane

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2009, 11:24:05 AM »

Good luck.

That means that the majority of its students have a GPA higher than 3.5

You must not be from Florida.. their high schools are all on 6.0 scales. you do the math on what a 3.75 on a 6.0 scale is on a 4.0 scale..

misbuble

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2009, 11:32:19 AM »
err isn't it a 5.0 scale? Hmm...maybe even 4.5....but even so, you didn't site sat scores, and if you're trying to convince us that the school in fl that is worse than uf,fsu,ucf,usf,umiami is going to be competetive to get into...well that's just crazy. There's a whole lot of schools in fl...very diluted applicant pool.

iahurricane

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2009, 11:36:09 AM »

Good luck.

You have to pay because you're from out of state. In-state residents in the state of Florida all get a full tuition scholarship to any public school if they have over apprx 3.5 GPA in high school (I think its called bright futures or something). So they use that scholarship,add it to the FIU scholarship they'll receive for having over a 3.5, cash the remainder, and keep the money. I've met many FIU kids who transfered to UM and said the reason they went to FIU first was to get paid thousands in cash..

misbuble

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2009, 11:37:27 AM »

Good luck.

You have to pay because you're from out of state. In-state residents in the state of Florida all get a full tuition scholarship to any public school if they have over apprx 3.5 GPA in high school (I think its called bright futures or something). So they use that scholarship,add it to the FIU scholarship they'll receive for having over a 3.5, cash the remainder, and keep the money. I've met many FIU kids who transfered to UM and said the reason they went to FIU first was to get paid thousands in cash..

if you think the above poster is joking, youre wrong, even at better schools you can get paid for attending class when schollies are combined with bright futures.

UnbiasedObserver

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2009, 12:11:46 PM »
FIU has a good reputation within the State of Florida, but UF, FSU, Miami and Stetson are ranked higher than FIU.  Mr. Jones, if you were being serious, please explain your reasons.  Thank you.

He's NOT being serious. He's a troll that pretends he's an administrator at Florida Coastal law school. 

UnbiasedObserver

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2009, 12:19:53 PM »
Hey All,

I just got into Florida International University today.  It was ranked T3 last year but got bumped down to T4 in the recent 2009 issue.  I am attracted to the school because the instate tuition is only $6K for part-time, has a pretty good bar passage/employment rates and only competes with U. of Miami in the major city.

Any thoughts anyone?

Oh yeah, my other schools I've gotten into are Valparaiso, Florida A&M, Florida Coastal and Nova Southeastern.

Still waiting on Loyola - New Orleans, Duquesne, Lousville and Akron.

A few things:

1) In the interest of full disclosure, I go to UF law.  Just keep that in mind as I tell you my personal opinion.

2) I am NOT a T3/4 basher.  There's no need for that here.  Many of these schools are doing the best they can, along with their students.  Unfortunately, these schools and students often get a bad rap because many of them aren't doing the research/have "pipe dreams," etc.

3) With that being said, a T3/4 for many people is a bad choice.  Many T3/4's can be $20,000 or higher per year in tuition, not including living expenses or the lost opportunity costs of full-time jobs, and the median salary is in the $40,000-$50,000 range often.  That's not great.

4) However, in your case it MIGHT not be so bad.  You seem to have done your research, and, perhaps most importantly, you realize that part-time for you might be a viable option to keep down debt.  $24,000k in total tuition for law school is not bad, and if you have a low debt-to-salary ratio coming out it could be a nice living.  Just make sure you want to be a lawyer!

5) At the same time...I'm still reluctant to recommend FIU to you.  Why?  Because FIU does NOT only compete with Miami.  UF law graduates have a large presence in South Florida, and many other people from top-notch schools move down to Miami for the nice weather, etc. Also, with the state of the economy, I'd say that T3/4's get hit especially hard. I say this because UF students are having problems with jobs and internships this year, and UF is considered (and I'm not saying this to provoke a debate) the best law school in Florida.   

I hope this helps you to see another perspective.  I wish you the best of luck!

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2009, 12:29:10 PM »

3) With that being said, a T3/4 for many people is a bad choice.  Many T3/4's can be $20,000 or higher per year in tuition, not including living expenses or the lost opportunity costs of full-time jobs, and the median salary is in the $40,000-$50,000 range often.  That's not great.

That's median salary.  Which means, there are about 50% of those graduates (not to be confused with the number of entering first year law students), who will not be getting a job within that range.