Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What's Your Feeling On Florida International University?  (Read 10856 times)

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: What's Your Feeling On Florida International University?
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2008, 09:36:24 PM »

There is no full-time T2 program the O.P. will get into with a 147 LSAT. I can't even think of a part-time program the O.P. can get into with a 147 LSAT. 

There are some low Tier 2 and High Tier 3 schools such as Texas Tech, University of Mississippi, University of Arkansas, University of New Mexico, etc. that the OP might get in due to his masters degree from NYU and other soft factors that he might have. 

Steve Jones

• Sr. Citizen
  • Dir of Admissions, Florida Coastal School of Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2008, 10:54:47 PM »
FIU has a good reputation within the State of Florida, but UF, FSU, Miami and Stetson are ranked higher than FIU.  Mr. Jones, if you were being serious, please explain your reasons.  Thank you.

Florida Coastal is the number one school in the state of Florida.  All other law schools in Florida are number two.  Therefore, FIU is the second-best law school in the state of Florida.

It's elementary logic, really.  Try to keep up.
We have many people from your state that attend our school!

DontQuestionMe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2008, 11:49:50 PM »

There is no full-time T2 program the O.P. will get into with a 147 LSAT. I can't even think of a part-time program the O.P. can get into with a 147 LSAT. 

There are some low Tier 2 and High Tier 3 schools such as Texas Tech, University of Mississippi, University of Arkansas, University of New Mexico, etc. that the OP might get in due to his masters degree from NYU and other soft factors that he might have. 

The 25-75 at New Mexico is 152-159. Short of finding a cure for cancer there is no way a 147 will get you into New Mexico. The LSAT calculator shows a 147 with a 4.0 UGPA as 15%. Everything else you named is T3.

DontQuestionMe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2008, 12:15:49 AM »

The 25-75 at New Mexico is 152-159. Short of finding a cure for cancer there is no way a 147 will get you into New Mexico. The LSAT calculator shows a 147 with a 4.0 UGPA as 15%. Everything else you named is T3.

Wait, wait.  I'm confused.  So, are you saying that he needs a higher lsat score?  'Cause you've never said that before...

Wait, wait. I'm confused. So, you made an ill-fated attempt at humor?

RockinJay

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2008, 04:26:53 PM »
Look, my LSAT sucks, yes, I know, how the hell wouldn't I know? I've been accepted by several T4 and a couple T3 schools.  I'll bust my balls, kick ass and hope to transfer.  If not, oh well, should I cry about it like some of you?

Good thing the partner I work for right now at a BigLaw firm is like a second mother to me and her husband, who is also a partner at a BigLaw firm down the road, is like an Uncle.  Either way, crap school or top school, I win :-)

jack24

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2008, 05:12:52 PM »
Look, my LSAT sucks, yes, I know, how the hell wouldn't I know? I've been accepted by several T4 and a couple T3 schools.  I'll bust my balls, kick ass and hope to transfer.  If not, oh well, should I cry about it like some of you?

Good thing the partner I work for right now at a BigLaw firm is like a second mother to me and her husband, who is also a partner at a BigLaw firm down the road, is like an Uncle.  Either way, *&^% school or top school, I win :-)

Way to go RockinJay.   It's hard for some students that go to the top schools to realize that T3 and T4 students might already have a strong network on their own.  They seem to jump straight to "You're going to a T4? You need to do something else"   Hopefully people like you will convince them to first ask  "Do you have any career prospects lined up?" 

Outside the top 14,  "who you know" is worth more than almost anything.   

Hamilcar77

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2009, 01:18:01 PM »
First, this is becoming a really funny thread...

FIU has a good reputation within the State of Florida, but UF, FSU, Miami and Stetson are ranked higher than FIU.  Mr. Jones, if you were being serious, please explain your reasons.  Thank you.

Florida Coastal is the number one school in the state of Florida.  All other law schools in Florida are number two.  Therefore, FIU is the second-best law school in the state of Florida.

It's elementary logic, really.  Try to keep up.

This is hilarious.

...I just want to comment on the original topic.... While I hear a lot of positive things about the law school, I really think the majority of it is hype.  I say this because it appears to me that FIU has a role among in the community and plays it very well.  That is, the administration knows it is a commuter school primarily aiming to attract middle and working class Miami/South Florida students and provide an "adequate" education (whatever that means).

In addition, while, perhaps, the school is on the rise because it did open not too long ago and Miami is an attractive place for certain people, I would not expect any significant gains by the law school in academics or placement (and surely, while it will grow, any significant growth by the law will occur over quite a long period of time, way after you have attended). In other words, I really don't believe the role stated above will ever be exceeded (so all those with hopes of FIU surpassing UM in the near (or future period) shouldn't hold your breath).

This said, I feel fairly certain in recommending FIU over schools nearby schools such as St. Thomas, Nova, Barry, and Florida Coastal.

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2009, 10:53:14 PM »

In addition, considering that many of FIU undergraduate students come to comprise the FIU law school body, I really wouldn't expect much gain in reputation or connections since the majority of FIU students are... well, "weak".  Although, maybe this isn't a bad thing, since if you are a good student you'll have little real competition.

Define "weak."  Weak as compare to students at UF, ofcourse, but what about compare to students at other state schools?  Don't you have to have at least a good SAT and GPA (say 3.5) from high school in order to get into FIU undergrad?

misbuble

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2009, 02:15:51 PM »
no. you just have to have the money for tuition to get into FIU, it's absolutely awful. Listen to some of the previous posters, if you can't get into a Tier 1 school, and possibly tier 2 (UMiami would be good), then don't waste your money.

iahurricane

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2009, 08:31:06 PM »

In addition, considering that many of FIU undergraduate students come to comprise the FIU law school body, I really wouldn't expect much gain in reputation or connections since the majority of FIU students are... well, "weak".  Although, maybe this isn't a bad thing, since if you are a good student you'll have little real competition.

Define "weak."  Weak as compare to students at UF, ofcourse, but what about compare to students at other state schools?  Don't you have to have at least a good SAT and GPA (say 3.5) from high school in order to get into FIU undergrad?

If you had a 3.5 on a 4. scale in high school, you would get 100% tuition + extra money to go to FIU lol.