Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Am I crazy to want to go to USC ($$$) over UChic ($)?  (Read 4467 times)

themanwithoutaname

• View Profile
Re: Am I crazy to want to go to USC ($$$) over UChic ($)?
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2008, 10:37:36 PM »
USC is terrible. At everything. HTH

You're going to Georgetown! Its USC with worse weather.

patently false.

USC ≠ Georgetown.  USC > Georgetown.

Reasons:
Weather
Market
Class size
Sports
Coast (west coast > east coast)

themanwithnoname

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2008, 10:45:27 PM »
are you a 1L?

GCs do not care about school, they care about the firm. The accolade they are about is not LR, the accolade they care about is that you GOT A JOB AT A V10.

and so that I do not appear biased b/c i went to a lower ranked school, I want to clarify that I am speaking as somebody from NYU.

Quail!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2008, 10:46:44 PM »
USC is terrible. At everything. HTH

You're going to Georgetown! Its USC with worse weather.

patently false.

USC ≠ Georgetown.  USC > Georgetown.

Reasons:
Weather
Market
Class size
Sports
Coast (west coast > east coast)

lulz.  Keep tellin yourself that.

Next time I go outside, I'll tell the sky you say hi  ;)

themanwithnoname

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2008, 10:51:40 PM »
Well, the firm I work at does skip over the bottom of my school in favor of top people from lower ranked schools. I will point out that the USC people I met at my firm were not all law review. The Brooklyn people were, but not the USC, or even the GW people. However, I suspect the reason why lower ranked firms hire people at the bottom of my class is that NYU is a highly competitve school and they recognize that even the people at the bottom of the class might still be pretty talented.

themanwithnoname

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2008, 10:57:32 PM »
Well, ironically, it is the less prestigious firm that would do this. Do I think firms like Stroock like to have a couple of harvard kids around so that they can brag about hiring people from the top schools? Quite possibly. Do I think Sullivan and Cromwell gives two sh*ts about gloating to their clients about harvard kids? no way. They say We're S&C, you can gloat about having kids from S&C working on your case, wherever they are from.

themanwithnoname

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2008, 11:01:08 PM »
remember how i said "I suspect the reason why lower ranked firms hire people at the bottom of my class is that NYU is a highly competitve school and they recognize that even the people at the bottom of the class might still be pretty talented." That is why - because the firms have more respect for the quality of graduates at your school and are willing to go deeper into the class b/c they think you will be a good lawyer.

themanwithnoname

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2008, 11:07:56 PM »
ok, again, working at a V10 in NYC: not an issue. Where have you read this? Isn't it possible your Cardozo friend is a bitter guy who did not quite have the grades for biglaw? Where have you read this? On an internet board?

You are a 0L right?

themanwithnoname

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2008, 11:20:29 PM »
Oh, late 80s is different. Firms are much more likely to look at lower ranked schools than they were in the 1980s. I think the thing you are missing in the logic is that firms like numbers because it saves them time. If they go to 100 different schools with no grade cutoffs whatsoever, they are going to get tens of thousands of resumes that they will have to comb through and evaluate. Do you know how long that would take? Also, partners like the idea that it is the lawyers, and the lawyers alone, that make recruiting decisions, so they would have to take associate and partner time away from billing clients to sort resumes. Will not happen. Instead, they establish grade cutoffs in all but the top schools in order to get a rough proxy of quality. good work experience is all well and good, but you have to read through a resume to find it. On the other hand, grades are quite easy to use as a filtering mechanism to save time.

themanwithnoname

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2008, 11:24:50 PM »
Why? The screen file can make a huge difference. What you say and what I say amount to the same result for the students. I just think that recruiting committees are smart timesavers instead of stupid prestige whores.

themanwithnoname

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2008, 11:55:27 PM »
Look i grant there is prestige-obsession in NY, my point is that after a few years your irm is a much bigger deal than your law school.