Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Am I crazy to want to go to USC ($$$) over UChic ($)?  (Read 4483 times)

themanwithnoname

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Am I crazy to want to go to USC ($$$) over UChic ($)?
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2008, 09:36:06 PM »
USC is terrible. At everything. HTH
You're going to Georgetown! Its USC with worse weather.

themanwithnoname

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2008, 09:40:22 PM »
USC is terrible. At everything. HTH

You're going to Georgetown! Its USC with worse weather.

patently false.

ooh those four spots in the rankings, that makes up for the fact that you will have the most school recognition for jobs in the small, oversaturated DC market instead of the big, thriving LA market.

themanwithnoname

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2008, 09:46:19 PM »
no wonder they waitlisted you.

Koobideh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2008, 10:06:59 PM »
to the OP: have u visited USC Law? its an old soviet style building with lots of smokers nervously discussing the worsening legal sector in LA. The school is fortified by LAPD and DPS, and the area is possibly the gloomiest in Los Angeles. Hardly any healthy eating options and no good grocery stores, movie theaters, clubs etc nearby. Its a depressing neighborhood and can take a toll on an already sad 1L. Crime is a factor and dont believe the students that say it doesn't affect them. It sure does. When i was there for undergrad, we got weekly emails from the campus police detailing all sorts of armed robberies and knife attacks. Its a great place to get a head start in criminal law as you will be put in the shoes of the victim.

Area aside, the school is not recognized as an elite institution by anyone outside of southern California. "USC" on the east is even mistaken often for the University of South Carolina. Sure it has a great alumni network, but theyre not going to simply hand over a nice job to you because you went there. In fact, if they're smart recruiters/partners, they will extend an offer to the UChicago guy before USC to impress/comfort future clients. Can you image a elitist east coast client being told their case is being handled by a group from USC?

Now, I love USC and will be there this fall and dont want to compete with UChicago caliber peeps, so go there. peace. 

sstar

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2008, 10:17:23 PM »
to the OP: have u visited USC Law? its an old soviet style building with lots of smokers nervously discussing the worsening legal sector in LA. The school is fortified by LAPD and DPS, and the area is possibly the gloomiest in Los Angeles. Hardly any healthy eating options and no good grocery stores, movie theaters, clubs etc nearby. Its a depressing neighborhood and can take a toll on an already sad 1L. Crime is a factor and dont believe the students that say it doesn't affect them. It sure does. When i was there for undergrad, we got weekly emails from the campus police detailing all sorts of armed robberies and knife attacks. Its a great place to get a head start in criminal law as you will be put in the shoes of the victim.

Area aside, the school is not recognized as an elite institution by anyone outside of southern California. "USC" on the east is even mistaken often for the University of South Carolina. Sure it has a great alumni network, but theyre not going to simply hand over a nice job to you because you went there. In fact, if they're smart recruiters/partners, they will extend an offer to the UChicago guy before USC to impress/comfort future clients. Can you image a elitist east coast client being told their case is being handled by a group from USC?

Now, I love USC and will be there this fall and dont want to compete with UChicago caliber peeps, so go there. peace. 

T'50 Class of 2011

themanwithnoname

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2008, 10:22:07 PM »

In fact, if they're smart recruiters/partners, they will extend an offer to the UChicago guy before USC to impress/comfort future clients.

I don't think firms worry about that too much. They don't tell the clients where the associates went to law school, and once you are a partner it's the firm's rep, not the schol's rep. A top partner at the firm I work at went to St. Johns, and nobody cares.

themanwithnoname

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2008, 10:25:10 PM »
firms care about your school, but not b/c of clients. It is because they have come to trust the quality of the graduates of some schools and not others. I will say this as clearly as possible: the clients do not care who the associates are. The partners are partners at the firm, it does not matter. Do you really think Cravath is worried that they will lose prestige if they have USC grads? Not to mention that "clients" are generally speaking the General Counsel of corporations, who are not stupid and know that University of Southern California (not the other USC) is a good school.

themanwithnoname

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2008, 10:29:28 PM »
You just made that up.

goaliechica

• LSD Obsessed
  • It's only forever - not long at all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2008, 10:29:43 PM »
firms care about your school, but not b/c of clients. It is because they have come to trust the quality of the graduates of some schools and not others. I will say this as clearly as possible: the clients do not care who the associates are. The partners are partners at the firm, it does not matter. Do you really think Cravath is worried that they will lose prestige if they have USC grads?

It's possible.  Many top-flight corporate clients assign HR people to check out the references and the associates on the case.

Uhhhh..... link?
Quote from: Earthbound SNES
Get a sense of humor, Susan B. Anthony!
Quote from: dashrashi
I'm going to cut a female dog. With a knife with a brown handle, natch.
Quote from: Elephant Lee
Don't judge me. You've not had my life.

themanwithnoname

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2008, 10:35:57 PM »
completely untrue. I worked at a V10 last summer and there were associates from lower ranked schools than USC working on matters with every client in the firm.