Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: NYC Tier 3 to ?????  (Read 655 times)

NYC1L

• View Profile
NYC Tier 3 to ?????
« on: April 21, 2008, 04:25:49 PM »
Hello All,
I am a 1L at a Tier 3 in NYC looking at the possibility of transferring. I was somewhere in the top 5-10% first semester based on last years numbers. I would consider transferring to a few Boston or D.C. schools, but  I am not particularly interested in leaving NYC. If I stay in the top 15% I would grade onto law review, get an increase in my scholarship, work an externship with a SDNY judge, and be part of an "Honors Program". I am interested in corporate litigation and other business related areas of the law. I would like to practice in NYC and am not exactly hell-bent on biglaw, but may want that opportunity.  Basically, I am looking for any feedback regarding what schools I should consider transferring to after weighing the positives of staying at my current school.  I chose my current school over a few slightly higher ranked schools for personal reasons, its location and scholarship offer. I am aware of the limited success of Tier 3 graduates in a market as flooded as NYC especially during this economy. How beneficial is it to transfer to a slightly higher ranked school and start all over? Does the benefit of graduating from a slightly higher ranked school outweigh the benefits of staying at my current school (law review, $$$, Honors Program)? How much higher ranked of a school would tilt the scale in favor of transferring? Thanks for any insight and please keep all TTT jokes to a minimum.

NYC2L

• View Profile
Re: NYC Tier 3 to ?????
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2008, 04:46:53 PM »
First, congrats on your success so far. Second, stop posting and go back to studying as soon as possible :) As to transferring, top 5-15% at a T3 would make you competitive at Fordham, GW, BU, BC and a lock (practically) at Cardozo, Brooklyn and American. If you are at 5% or better, you would be competitive at NYU, Columbia and GULC. In addition, if you are in that 5-10% range, I recommend applying to other T14 schools. Even if you eventually decide not to leave the Eastern seaboard, at least the option would be available to you. Also, check at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/transferapps/. It provides lots of information on transferring.

Good luck!