Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Why oh why, SMU, am I still waiting on a decision?!?  (Read 10682 times)

Gitmo Jones

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Why oh why, SMU, am I still waiting on a decision?!?
« Reply #70 on: May 02, 2008, 06:52:21 PM »
What czar got in part time no wonder with those numbers I thought he slept with the adcomm czar you really are a total homo

Trill

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 02, 2008, 07:01:37 PM »
What czar got in part time no wonder with those numbers I thought he slept with the adcomm czar you really are a total homo

I just found it a bit funny that he listed all sorts of irrelevant crap but omitted the most important detail in his favor.

smujd2007

• Sr. Citizen
  • January 6, 2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 02, 2008, 08:53:45 PM »
ROFLMAO.

SMU likes soft factors.

I'm getting off work right now and expect my waitlist letter to be in the mailbox too. What the hell is SMU doing waitlisting me with a 166??? Just stupid- they aren't ranked that high!
smujd2007 is now an Attorney at Law!

Betty_Crocker

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 03, 2008, 03:11:49 PM »
I think at this point in the admissions game, it WILL be about soft factors. I bet SMU already has the LSAT/GPA numbers it wants for rankings purposes. At this point, the focus will probably be on the profile of the student and the admitted folks who decide not to attend. For example, if SMU has an admit with a 160ish LSAT/3.5ish GPA and is from out-of-state and that student decides to go to another school, SMU will probably be looking for a similar candidate to fill his/her shoes. But that is not always the case, if SMU becomes "desperate" (i.e. a student dropped out a week before school starts) then it will probably admit someone who will attend last minute with decent numbers if it find someone like that.

I think a sincere LOCI and a couple of phone calls every once in a while is your best bet. You should point out your high numbers (just don't get cocky) and stress that you currently live and work in Dallas and that SMU is the perfect fit for your career goals. Mention that you understand that there is a WL and that it might not move in the near future, but that you genuinely want to attend SMU and that there was a sincere intention in your application to SMU.

Determine how long you are willing to stay in Dallas before you move to go to a different school. Then mention that you have already been admitted to other schools, but that you will go to SMU if given the chance and that you are staying in Dallas as long as it is possible before moving. I would try and make them feel guilty, like saying that you are only staying in Dallas at this point because you are waitlisted.

Just don't act entitled and be sincere, I know the people that work in the admissions office and nothing gets you moved to the bottom of the WL pile than being a jerk to the admin office. Remember that professors make up the admission committee, and their biggest pet peeve are pig-headed students. In my experience, the biggest jerks in my class are the ones who either feel like that are richer than everyone else or are the smartest beings that graced the halls of SMU. They are the students who have blatant disregard for the professors by constantly surfing the net, laughing in class, and rolling their eyes when the profs talk. If the admin office tells these professors that a certain student is acting like a jerk or is really condescending, they are not going to admit you notwithstanding your numbers. They would rather have a "dumb" student who applies him/herself than a smart-ass who counts the seconds till class ends.

And for the rest of you with lower numbers, don't get discouraged. I got admitted outright into SMU with a 150 LSAT/3.8 GPA and I am not an URM. I was very sincere in my PS and optional essay and luckily the admissions committee appreciated that.       

czarevich

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 06, 2008, 01:07:23 AM »

I just found it a bit funny that he listed all sorts of irrelevant crap but omitted the most important detail in his favor.

I did not apply part-time, fool.  Check your sources.   

Trill

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: May 06, 2008, 01:55:13 AM »

Your posting history suggests an interest in Part Time programs in general.

I'm sorry, but it's highly unlikely that you will get accepted with numbers that are around the 25% for both LSAT AND GPA unless you are a URM. This almost never happens at any school. So, color me surprised if you were accepted with these numbers and it wasn't to the PT program and you are not a URM.

Who knows? Maybe being gay is a a severely underrepresented minority at SMU and you got a huge boost.

Betty_Crocker

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 06, 2008, 07:52:14 AM »
I doubt being gay, in it of itself was a major factor in Czar's acceptance - if anything, it might have been a component in his PS, especially if his sexuality created a unique personal experience.

Czar - if that is your picture, I would take it down. Everything you have posted here can and will be used against you by your classmates (see also XOXOHTH and JuicyGossip). It could also hurt you during recruitment, but I haven't been reading your posts, so I don't know what you have been saying. Law school is worse than high school, so if you don't have anything on here that is fodder for gossip, then you might not have anything to worry about. But I would err on the safe said and keep yourself as anonymous as possible. Just a forewarning...

czarevich

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 06, 2008, 09:29:16 AM »
Highly unlikely, perhaps, but impossible, obviously not.  I applied for one of the FT joint degree programs at SMU and was granted admissions with no stipulations back in late March.    I applied to Cardozo May entry PT program b/c I was interested in starting law school early since I don't have anything to do this summer anyways.     

I'm sorry, but it's highly unlikely that you will get accepted with numbers that are around the 25% for both LSAT AND GPA unless you are a URM. This almost never happens at any school. So, color me surprised if you were accepted with these numbers and it wasn't to the PT program and you are not a URM.

Who knows? Maybe being gay is a a severely underrepresented minority at SMU and you got a huge boost.

czarevich

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 06, 2008, 10:01:46 AM »
I doubt being gay, in it of itself was a major factor in Czar's acceptance - if anything, it might have been a component in his PS, especially if his sexuality created a unique personal experience.

Czar - if that is your picture, I would take it down. Everything you have posted here can and will be used against you by your classmates (see also XOXOHTH and JuicyGossip). It could also hurt you during recruitment, but I haven't been reading your posts, so I don't know what you have been saying. Law school is worse than high school, so if you don't have anything on here that is fodder for gossip, then you might not have anything to worry about. But I would err on the safe said and keep yourself as anonymous as possible. Just a forewarning...

Appreciate the advice.  No, this is not my picture.  Incidentally, I didn't even discuss being gay in my application with the exception of checking the box on the application.

Trill

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 06, 2008, 12:58:17 PM »
Highly unlikely, perhaps, but impossible, obviously not.  I applied for one of the FT joint degree programs at SMU and was granted admissions with no stipulations back in late March.    I applied to Cardozo May entry PT program b/c I was interested in starting law school early since I don't have anything to do this summer anyways.     

I'll cut you some slack and take your word for it.

Maybe you got accepted due to the joint-progam? Not sure how popular those are; perhaps they needed candidates to justify the program.