Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Why oh why, SMU, am I still waiting on a decision?!?  (Read 10487 times)

AmericasTeam

• Getcha Popcorn Ready
    • View Profile
Re: Why oh why, SMU, am I still waiting on a decision?!?
« Reply #40 on: May 01, 2008, 05:57:45 PM »
I'm getting off work right now and expect my waitlist letter to be in the mailbox too. What the hell is SMU doing waitlisting me with a 166??? Just stupid- they aren't ranked that high!
Yes: Baylor ($$), Houston ($$), Texas Tech (not interested)
No: UCLA, Wash U St. Louis, CU, Fordham
Maybe: SMU (Waitlisted), Texas (Waitlisted), Wisconsin(on "hold") UIUC (Waitlisted, Withdrawn)

God bless the Dallas Cowboys and Tony Romo

AmericasTeam

• Getcha Popcorn Ready
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 02, 2008, 09:46:55 AM »
Yep- Waitlisted
Maybe: SMU (Waitlisted), Texas (Waitlisted), Wisconsin(on "hold") UIUC (Waitlisted, Withdrawn)

AmericasTeam

• Getcha Popcorn Ready
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 02, 2008, 11:56:15 AM »
I worked pretty hard on my PS- I could easily be wrong, but I thought it was pretty good. My comfort with writing was part of my motivation in applying to law school. I saw one of the people on this thread had a 165 and 3.5 and got 60k/yr there- so based on that I at least expected to get in. Whatever- I'm going to Htown unless I hear the good news from Texas. I hope the SMUs suck ass at football forever!

AmericasTeam

• Getcha Popcorn Ready
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 02, 2008, 11:58:16 AM »
but yeah diet, maybe they were scared of me... my previous disciplinary violation was somewhat unique, but nothing that reflects bad character, I think they might just be uptight about those things

czarevich

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 02, 2008, 12:26:15 PM »
but yeah diet, maybe they were scared of me... my previous disciplinary violation was somewhat unique, but nothing that reflects bad character, I think they might just be uptight about those things

What about your grades?  There are more factors to your application than just your LSAT score. 

AmericasTeam

• Getcha Popcorn Ready
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 02, 2008, 12:34:27 PM »
166, 3.4

chunkylover53

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 02, 2008, 01:37:35 PM »
166, 3.4

Wow you got WLed w/ that? That must be a YP for sure dude. I would call and keep bugging them.

AmericasTeam

• Getcha Popcorn Ready
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 02, 2008, 01:50:44 PM »
Any advice on what I should say? Should Ijust ask for an explanation for my decision because I thought I was a competitive applicant? I know that sound pretty entitled, but I've got nothing to lose at this point...

chunkylover53

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 02, 2008, 02:08:31 PM »
Any advice on what I should say? Should Ijust ask for an explanation for my decision because I thought I was a competitive applicant? I know that sound pretty entitled, but I've got nothing to lose at this point...

No, I would definitely not do that. Just express to them your interest in staying in Texas and in the Dallas area. And I would say you can even tell them you had SMU and Texas at the top of your list and that Texas had waitlisted you. I think that may ease a bit of their concern in yield protecting you.

AmericasTeam

• Getcha Popcorn Ready
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 02, 2008, 02:34:58 PM »
My sense of entitlement arose from looking at the people that were accepted on LSN. It occurred after I sent in my app, not before. In fact, I had no idea what my numbers would do for me before I sent in my apps. But I can guarantee you that my tone didn't convey any sense of entitlement in my app/PS. Given that people with very similar #s got in with money, it wasn't unreasonable in the slightest to think I had a perty good chance at being accepted. Chill Diet