Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Why oh why, SMU, am I still waiting on a decision?!?  (Read 10679 times)

Poetgirl80

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Why oh why, SMU, am I still waiting on a decision?!?
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2008, 08:28:54 PM »
lol... yeh... after I posted that I called my friend who said the same thing. I'm not going to worry about it. Once SMU confirms my seat deposit is in, I'll withdraw elsewhere.

Gitmo Jones

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2008, 02:34:37 PM »
Okay so, let's say I want to dash off a quick LOCI to SMU. Ineffective at this late date, perhaps, but worth a shot. Is there a Dean/Director of Admissions whose contact information I can't seem to find on the website or shall I roll the dice and send to lawadmit@smu.edu?

Just accept you are going to Tulane and your next few weeks will be much better!

Wattage2004

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2008, 03:41:44 PM »
I just called the office of admissions, and was told that all decisions were mailed by today.  Just FYI
University of Houston 2011

Accepted: UH($$), OCU($$$), STCL, Baylor
Rejected: UT, Colorado
Waitlist: TTU, OU, SMU
Pending: Denver

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=wattage2004

AmericasTeam

• Getcha Popcorn Ready
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2008, 04:04:59 PM »
So I wonder if everyone that was accepted received a phone call/voicemail- I haven't heard of anyone that received the letter of acceptance without a phone call.

I'm guessing those that haven't heard by phone yet (me) will only receive waitlist and rejections. We'll know soon- good luck everyone!
Yes: Baylor ($$), Houston ($$), Texas Tech (not interested)
No: UCLA, Wash U St. Louis, CU, Fordham
Maybe: SMU (Waitlisted), Texas (Waitlisted), Wisconsin(on "hold") UIUC (Waitlisted, Withdrawn)

God bless the Dallas Cowboys and Tony Romo

Marc03

• View Profile
    • numbers
« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2008, 04:17:55 PM »
Best of luck everyone.  It's surprising to me just how popular SMU seems to be.  For being at the lower end of tier 1, it has an amazing yield rate (47%).  I'm having a tough time myself deciding whether I should take the SMU offer and be close to college friends (ags) and family, or whether I should take the higher ranked Minnesota or Illinois offers.  So many great things about SMU (especially placement and location), it seems the only downside is rank.  I'm starting to wonder just how important that really is.

You all seem very excited and eager to hear, so I truly hope that you get in, since that is exactly the type of applicant that deserves it the most, in my opinion.

I LOLd in my pants

• When I get nervous, I LOL a lil' in my pants.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2008, 04:22:38 PM »
So I wonder if everyone that was accepted received a phone call/voicemail- I haven't heard of anyone that received the letter of acceptance without a phone call.

When decisions came out in late January/early February for those who applied ED, I remember a guy from TLS that said he just received an admissions packet without a call. He had called previously and told them that he knew they sent decisions out via phone/voicemail and asked if he should expect a deferral or rejection because of that. They told him that they had a ton of decisions to send out so it was impossible to call everyone, and the next day he received the packet.

I would say that everyone that hasn't been called still has a chance, but, me personally, I'm still expecting the WL.
Baylor Fall 2011? Branch Davidian Compound here I come.

I LOLd in my pants

• When I get nervous, I LOL a lil' in my pants.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2008, 04:58:20 PM »
LOLpants, your tar is so f'ing creepy.

LOL, yeah I know. I just wanted one with text in it, but when that came up on Google Images it was too good to pass up. Some people have way too much time on their hands.
Baylor Fall 2011? Branch Davidian Compound here I come.

Betty_Crocker

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2008, 03:06:37 AM »
They might send a "technical waitlist" to some people. Not an official waitlist, but a letter letting you know that they didn't forget you, but they still are uncertain with their class size (think of it as a priority waitlist).

If they did over-extend their acceptances, the will act like an airline company and ask students to differ their acceptances until next cycle (basically giving them more scholarship money in exchange for waiting another year). I know Vandy did this 4 years ago, and there were enough volunteers where they didn't have to revoke anyone's offer or over enroll. A lot of students like this option, because they have a solid admission AND they can try and get into better schools the in the next cycle. So don't worry about sending in your deposit check! ;)

Wattage2004

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2008, 04:58:17 PM »
I received my wait list letter today, and withdrew promptly. I will be at UH next year.  Best of luck to everyone else.
University of Houston 2011

Accepted: UH($$), OCU($$$), STCL, Baylor
Rejected: UT, Colorado
Waitlist: TTU, OU, SMU
Pending: Denver

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=wattage2004

Trill

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2008, 05:34:25 PM »
I received my wait list letter today, and withdrew promptly. I will be at UH next year.  Best of luck to everyone else.

I received my waitlist as well. Bummer.