Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Any comments on these schools?  (Read 1263 times)

RockinJay

• View Profile
Any comments on these schools?
« on: April 21, 2008, 11:33:33 AM »
So far I have been accepted by the following schools and stacking each one against the other:

Florida Coastal
Valparaiso
Florida A&M (from Florida, in-state tuition)
Duquesne
Arkansas - Littlerock (T3, ranked higher than the others)
NOVA Southeastern
Florida International University

I am still waiting on Lousville, Loyola at New Orleans, New England and Akron.

Thank you in advance :-)

hano

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Which of these schools should I attend in the fall?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2008, 03:39:24 PM »
Arkansas-LR unless you are from new york, in that case you hate Arkansas :), thats definitely the one I would go with though

hano

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Which of these schools should I attend in the fall?
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2008, 03:40:43 PM »
*may hate it
meaning you should visit Little Rock if you are from NY

SEC_2L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Any comments on these schools?
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2008, 07:57:00 PM »
I say UALR as well. Both of the Arkansas schools are about as good as a TTT gets.

Bulldog86

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2008, 10:32:12 PM »
What's the cost difference in Ark-LR and FAMU? Also, where do you want to work? I imagine both (actually all of your list) will have job options in their areas (and maybe not much elsewhere) and that those jobs will probably pay similarly. (But your research on the schools' numbers may say something different and more accurate...) That means US News tiers probably shouldn't be decisive here; cost and location would be big factors for me.
UVA Law Class of 2011

wtracing

• Sr. Citizen
  • Roll Angry Wave!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2008, 10:37:00 PM »
I would also vote UALR. You'll have some decent opportunities coming out of there, especially in government/smaller practice.  I lived in Little Rock for a 6 month period. The city was definitely not for me, but its not all bad honestly. West Little Rock is pretty nice and there is some decent stuff to do. I never got out much while I was there, so I imagine like a lot of midwestern cities its a little "underground" and you have to search for stuff to do, but its there.
Tulane Class of 2011

yoyodawg

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2008, 11:52:42 AM »
What's the cost difference in Ark-LR and FAMU? Also, where do you want to work? I imagine both (actually all of your list) will have job options in their areas (and maybe not much elsewhere) and that those jobs will probably pay similarly. (But your research on the schools' numbers may say something different and more accurate...) That means US News tiers probably shouldn't be decisive here; cost and location would be big factors for me.

I can't speak on Ark-LR, but it has to be better than FAMU. FAMU is literally the worst law school in Florida. (and there are 10 of them) It consistently has one of the lowest bar passage rates, and job placement isn't great at all. It does have a new building (but then again, its a new school, so it should have a new building...), but that's all it has for it. The school is still only provisionally acreddited, and this may not even last because of the new ABA rule.

So stay away from FAMU.

RockinJay

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2008, 02:08:07 PM »
Yeah, I've heard FAMU is shaky but with its low tuition cost, it is tempting.  I just received an acceptance letter from FIU, which was T3 last year but got bumped to T4 this year.  Again, their tuition is very low at around $6500 for p/t students.

Valparaiso still intrigues me though.  It's been around for a while and looks to be one of the most respected T4 schools.  I'm just turned-off by their horrendous curve, location and job prospects.

UALR and Loyolar-NO interest me alot because of their rankings, programs and clinics, and good transfer rates if I can do it.

yoyodawg

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2008, 06:42:19 PM »
Yeah, I've heard FAMU is shaky but with its low tuition cost, it is tempting.  I just received an acceptance letter from FIU, which was T3 last year but got bumped to T4 this year.  Again, their tuition is very low at around $6500 for p/t students.

Valparaiso still intrigues me though.  It's been around for a while and looks to be one of the most respected T4 schools.  I'm just turned-off by their horrendous curve, location and job prospects.

UALR and Loyolar-NO interest me alot because of their rankings, programs and clinics, and good transfer rates if I can do it.

Loyola is a good school. They place very well in New Orleans, and are very respected there. There job placement gets a little iffy outside of New Orleans, but they should still place you throughout La. If they weren't literally across the street from Tulane (their main campus is really right beside Tulane), they would probably be a Tier 2 school.