« on: April 20, 2008, 02:56:18 PM »
-

J.A.A.N.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: GW Class of 2011
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2008, 04:35:30 PM »
Here, here.
Cosmo, are you "sure" yet? or still waiting on WL?
(Just Adding Another Notch)

qoftheu

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2008, 04:55:22 PM »
i'm going to gw unless i get off uva's waitlist

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2008, 05:37:49 PM »
if any of yall have any questions about the school, pm me. congrats on being accepted and all that.

-rising 3L

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2008, 06:17:06 PM »
I dont know the statistics for boston, I do know generally big law is top 1/3.  With some special circumstances (great soft factors, IP, etc) you can maybe go a little lower and still get in.  I only know two people that applied for boston firms (one superstar that got crazy offers and one transfer student that got offers).  I would say top 1/3 and you wont have many problems.

As far as making top 1/3, GW isnt that competitive.  Everyone I have met, except maybe a few, are really chill.  I would say about a third of the class doesnt care too much about grades, or does care but doesnt try anyway.  So, the competition is only with about 2/3 of the class.  I think a lot of doing well comes down to work ethic.  I work my butt off and have consistently been in the top 20%.  My friends are on top of things as well and all seemed to be in the same range.

If you come in and do the work, bar some really big distractions in your life, you really shouldnt have a problem being in the top 1/3.  However, this means you have to outline and have to read for class and take notes. 

Anyway, it is a really fun school and you should be alright in Boston.  You are going to have a blast here.  Law school seems really intimidating, but is actually pretty chill, at least at GW.  I know most of what will be the 3L class and a lot of what will be the 2L class and they are all pretty chill (some exceptions).

I dont want to study for exams, if you want any practice, you are more then welcome to come to DC early and figure out crim pro for me :)

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2008, 06:40:00 PM »
hahah, yea, i get burnt out every semester, so dont feel bad if it happens :) yea, hopefully the husband will keep you grounded and a little more sober :)

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2008, 07:30:29 PM »

I'm a very type-a over-achiever student.  But, I'm worried that GW will be full of this type of student.  Gah I am sooo paranoid about staying in the top 1/3rd after my 1st yr so that 2L OCI in August will land me a Boston biglaw job.
[/quote]

ehh, well, its out of your hands kind of, all you can do is your best :) and Im sure if you work hard you will do fine.  law school is a lot of work, but none of it is difficult.

J.A.A.N.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2008, 07:44:06 PM »
Here, here.
Cosmo, are you "sure" yet? or still waiting on WL?

I'm sure, if the waitlist comes through that's something to consider, but I'm trying not to think about it and focus on what's "sure" in my mind right now - and that's GW/DC.

Yeah, I've been trying to do that myself. focus on what is!
(Just Adding Another Notch)

TheDudeMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2008, 08:23:57 PM »
GW is definitely not full of die hard gunners.  However, you definitely will have to perform to land a Biglaw job back in Boston, UNLESS you have some type of unique work experience.

I am not top 35% and I have a Biglaw summer lined up here in DC.

TheDudeMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2008, 09:19:08 PM »
Well firms are going to ask why you want to go to Boston, but that will only be after you get an interview.  Unless the firm you worked as a paralegal has said they will hook you up.... The short answer is "no, it will not count for much."